“Extremely helpful staff”

Hotel Rosario La Paz
Ranked #4 of 77 Hotels in La Paz
Reviewed July 26, 2012

Very nice hotel with exceptionally helpful staff. We had to leave at 4 am to catch a flight and they arranged not only a cab but breakfast. Excellent restaurant too and the breakfast that comes with the room was very ample.

Room Tip: There is no elevator and the altitude can be a challenge. If that matters to you, ask for a lower f...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Hotel Rosario La Paz

Reviewed July 25, 2012

Really nice and friendly hotel. We used it as a base while we traveled around Bolivia. The staff speak English and they have a 24 hour reception.
We left luggage there as we traveled around and had no problems at all. They have free WiFi and they also have an internet cafe with some PC's if you don't have a smart phone.
The hotel has a tour desk if you want to organize any trips and they also have security on the door.
Breakfast is very good with lots of choices and the place is spotlessly clean.
The hotel is situated near most of the things you want to see in La Paz such as the Witches market and the church. A great choice if you like your hotels to be smaller and more personal.

Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 18, 2012

The staff at Rosario are very helpful and the rooms are nice and if you want to stay in this area of La Paz then Rosario is a good choice, but in my opinion it isn’t a great area to be in. It’s on a grubby main road and doesn’t feel particularly safe. We moved to Casa Fusion in the Sopocachi area which is so much nicer – its attractive, feels much safer and has a great choice of restaurants nearby.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 17, 2012

We chose the Hotel Rosario (3*) La Paz after a lot of research for our trip. The primary reasons for our selections were: excellent rating on Tripadvisor; a sister hotel Rosario del Lago at Copacabana (Lake Titicaca) with excellent rating; and ownership of the Turisbus travel agency (based at the La Paz hotel) that could put the whole visit we wanted together. We prepaid the entire visit as described below with a credit card and everything went like clockwork. Both Rosarios include an excellent breakfast buffet and both have a very nice restaurant. Both also have free internet computers in their lobbies.
Flew into La Paz (El Alto airport) and were picked up by waiting Rosario vehicle. Next day private all-day tour to Tiwanaku/Puma Punku (1.5hour drive) with Turisbus guide Eduardo. We cannot emphasize enough how important it is to do a private tour and, for us, Eduardo couldn’t have been a better choice. We insisted when booking with Rosario that this tour would be with Eduardo based on another Tripadvisor Rosario review. Not only was Eduardo a very nice man with a pleasant demeanor and excellent English, but his knowledge base (historical, cultural and archeological) was outstanding. He had been a guide for 15 years. Even if you do not choose to stay at Rosario, book your tours to Tiwanaku/Puma Punku and Copacabana with Turisbus and insist on Eduardo.
We then took the Turisbus 3-day tour to Lake Titicaca (12,000ft) staying at their modern Rosario Del Lago hotel in Copacabana (best hotel in Copacabana 3*). The 3.5hour drive to Copacabana peaks out at about 14,000ft before descending. After our return to Rosario La Paz we were transferred next morning to El Alto airport for our flight back to the USA. Our luggage was opened and checked no less than 3 times before we boarded the plane! A make work thing I suspect.
Useful notes and a warning:
La Paz is around 12,000ft and lies in a river basin surrounded by 20,000+ft snow-capped Andes mountains. You fly into the El Alto airport (highest commercial airport in the world) up on the flat Alto Plano rim of the basin at 13,000ft. La Paz and El Alto are like twin cities of about 1,000,000 each. El Alto is a commute city for La Paz and is more like a massive brick shanty town devoid of any discernible planning and with unbelievable traffic jams. However, once out of El Alto when going to Lake Titicaca, the Alto Plano and “Andes heaven” await. When transferring from El Alto airport to La Paz the view you will get of La Paz from the rim is spectacular. It has to be one of the most fantastic city sights in the world. You will never forget it.
The warning: If you are foolish enough to go directly to La Paz from lowland USA, most must be prepared for some level of altitude sickness (lack of oxygen). This plays havoc with brain and body and, in the worst case, can kill you. So, if you can, go to Peru (Cusco and Machu Picchu) first and rest up and acclimatize yourself there for the first day at the 8,000ft to 10,000ft. We did this and still felt a bit sick there for a day or two. However, after that we were fine and, when we flew to La Paz we surprisingly then felt no sickness. Hotels carry oxygen for the unfortunate (also in Cusco). Peru first is definitely the smart thing to do. In both Peru and La Paz you will be out of breath at the slightest exertion. Take it slow and get hotel rooms on the first or second floor. See your doc before you go and get a prescription for Diamox (it has a generic) which is the medicine of choice for altitude sickness. You start taking it before you arrive to give you a fighting chance of minimizing being affected.
It seems Bolivia has a special problem with toilet paper. Hotel bathrooms have a notice saying “Unlike the USA and Europe, bolivian toilet paper does not disintegrate upon contact with water and is harmful to the plumbing. Please place used toilet paper in the bin provided”. Bit of a shock, but there you are - enjoy! TIP: always take a roll of toilet paper from the hotel and wipes with you when outside your hotel. Toilets at tour locations exist but they never have paper or soap and usually no working faucets. You have been warned.
With regard to the “fantastic” Puma Punku – unless you do your homework before coming to Bolivia, so that you can understand that what you will be seeing is the world’s greatest archaeological mystery, you will be wasting your time and will see little but piles of rubble. There is good text/photos/video info on the web including on Utube. Just do a google search for “Utube Puma Punku” and start your homework. The private tour here with Eduardo will probably then be the highlight of your trip.
Trivia - La Paz is NOT the capital of Bolivia - Sucre is. La Paz is just the "seat of government".

Room Tip: First floor unless you don't mind gasping for breath. Couples - ask for a room with two beds if...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank daniboy1946
Reviewed July 17, 2012

What a lively, interesting, pleasant place, full of interesting travellers. The Internet café on the third floor is a real oasis in the rather exhausting downtown core, as you float above it all with a view of Illimani while getting some good food and drink at almost any hour, while using the good Internet sites.
The restaurant is also lovely, for more substantial meals. Lots of other communal areas for relaxing in comfortably. My room was rather small and dark, but these other areas (including outdoor patios) more than compensated for that. And my room was quiet, which is what I asked for in priority.
I would definitely return to this hotel any time I wanted to stay in downtown La Paz.
The exceptional thing about this place is the quality of the service. The staff is simply wonderful! So competent, friendly, fluent in English, and helpful. Hats off especially to (super) Mario, Xilemina, and Senora Blanquita who were always unfailingly so.

Room Tip: I would choose Room 214 if I were to return, as there was both light and tranquility there. Also fai...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed July 15, 2012

We stayed at Hotel Rosario for 2 nights on our way down to and back from Tarija on a medical mission. Our room was large and clean, and the staff were exceptionally friendly and helpful, with perfect English. The only negative was that I decided to check my laptop at the hotel and pick it up on my way back from Tarija, thinking it might be safer in La Paz. When I returned the following week, they were unable to locate the bag. I was then told that I shouldn't leave anything valuable, which I would never have done, had I been told that the security of my belongings would be questionable. The bag was in a locked room that ostensibly only the staff could access.
I was pretty upset and felt that even if it had been a duffel bag with T-shirts, that if the hotel offered to let us check bags, that I should expect them to be there upon my return.

The desk clerk assured me that they would take care of everything and that they were insured. But to be honest, I thought that I would return to the U.S. and they would blow me off, and I would be out a very nice Apple laptop. As it turns out, I got an email within 24 hours from Maximus Adolfo, the manager, asking me to send them the receipt for the computer. In less than one week, a new identical replacement computer was sent to me by the hotel.

I was absolutely amazed at their promptness and willingness to make things right for me. It would have been very easy for them to ignore this and I really wouldn't have had any recourse. While losing the laptop was not great, and while I would definitely advise against leaving anything of value there, I gave them 5 stars for outstanding customer service and for having the integrity to do the right, but very expensive, thing. I would definitely stay here again, but will leave the laptop at home next time.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed July 15, 2012

Stayed here for 3nights. Great price, £50 per night per room. Room was clean, spacious with great safe built into wall. Hot water not a problem for showering. Breakfast was ample, eggs, fruit, bread, meats and cheeses.
We had room at front, I but noise wasn't a problem. Only criticism I could forsee about this hotel is if we had stayed in the summer. It had no AC, or even a ceiling fan.

Staff were great.

Restaurant served great food too. Cheap!

Room Tip: We had room 201 which below internet cafeteria. Tables and chairs little annoying on tiled floor.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple