“Average Hotel. Nothing special.”
Review of Rey Palace

Rey Palace
Ranked #48 of 79 Hotels in La Paz
Reviewed July 23, 2012

This is an average hotel. The rooms are big, but dated. The bathrooms are poor and you must wait for a few minutes for hot water in the shower. Another drawback is the breakfast hours. Breakfast starts at 7AM. Most of our tours started before 7AM, so we always missed breakfast. Moreover, this hotel does not provide complimentary bottled water. The hotel has WiFi and the staff is very friendly and professional. Location is decent, but it is far from the main sqaure. Overall, an average hotel.

• Stayed: July 2012

Reviewed February 10, 2012

First off , let me say that it was my first time in Bolivia and my Spanish vocabulary begins and ends with "where is the bathroom?". From the moment I arrived , the doorman and security guard treated my like a head of state. I arrived at around 4 am and the concierge spoke excellent English. He directed me up to my room with a porter and the room was great:2 full beds, minibar, big bathroom with bidet (if youre into it;). The noise from the streets can get annoying at times but it dies down at night. You are staying in one of the busier parts of the city next to the markets. Overall , I had a great stay here and would highly recommend it to anyone coming to la Paz

• Stayed: February 2012
1  Thank markessak
Reviewed December 27, 2011

Arriving in La Paz is like arriving on the moon: it looks just "different" here.
I was afraid of having problems with the height - but luckily had no problem.

The airport is located about 20-30 minutes away from downtown La Paz.
You can either take one of the taxis - or go with one of the small buses used by several people.

The hotel itself is located centrally - in easy walking distance you reach a supermarket or the city center with lots of places to eat and drink.

The staff was very friendly and helpful - a power adapter for my laptop was arranged quickly.
Checkin/checkout: quick.

My room (all rooms?) are large and clean; good working internet with decent speed;
a filled minibar; aircondition/heater were available and working well.

The breakfast buffet was great: a large variety of food; bread, cereals, coffee, tea....
Plus - a nice view from the restaurant.

Over all: A nice place to stay - not too fancy compared to hotels in other capitals, but clean, centrally located - and absolutely worth the money!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed October 13, 2011

I was not a great fan of La Paz at all but this hotel was a very welcome relaxing retreat.

The staff were very good, the room was huge with a nice bed, and seating area and table also. The bathroom was good too and it was a very nice room in general to get out of the pollution of the city.

I stayed 2 nights and the second night I had a pick up for a tour to Uyuni at 8pm. The hotel let me have a late check out for free of charge to 6pm whihc was brilliant.

Breakfast was adequate although the coffee was much better than SA norms.

Only slight pain was the free internet was painfully slow but they had free wi fi so that made up for it.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed July 28, 2011

Excellent hotel, great location, near downtown, near of all touristics of the city, excellent service of everybody in the hotel.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 27, 2011

It is difficult to rate this, as it was the only hotel we stayed in in La Paz. We did stay in 3 rooms, as we left & came back twice for side trips. It was noisy, the alarm clock didn't work in one room, and a lamp did not work in the other. However, the staff was super! Friendly, helpful, resourceful. The restaurant is over priced. Also, the location is just so-so. The tourist section is a 15 min walk one way, and the nice local section is 15 min walk the other way. There is nothing much right near the hotel, but that's ok. Internet is slow, but I didn't expect more.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Philly_opinion
Reviewed May 28, 2011

The hotel is well located close to the El Prado. I had a suite with a kitchen so I coul cook my meals. However, I ended up changing hotel because of many problems including:

Anytime I needed hot water, I had to wait at least 8 minutes for it to get to the room and then it is stop and go. The shower went hot and cold every 5 to 10 seconds. Several people have come and finally told me that there is nothing they can do and that I should use less hot water to prevent getting burnt. The shower curtain is coming apart at one end. The hair conditioner provided looks like alcohol. etc etc

The hair dryer did not work.

The bed was not very comfortable and the pillows were small and flat.

I had to get up a night to restart the heat as there is no thermostat and the heater stops after a certain time. The only thing the staff did is show me how to restart it.

Now the worst is the kitchen. They finally told me that it is not ready for use. There is no water coming into the kitchen sink. This I found out when I started trying to cook my dinner. There are also a lot of things missing such as cutting knives, spoons, peeler, spatula, brush, washcloth, drying cloth, handles for hot pots etc. It cannot be called a functional kitchen. It is just for show. Even the refrigerator is not working very well. It is not cold enough to preserve food.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business