“Welcoming drinks” 3 of 5 bubbles

Plaza Hotel & Convention Center
Ranked #21 of 76 Hotels in La Paz
“Welcoming drinks”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2012

What you see on the complimentary drinks card and what you actually get are worlds apart. I think they just dipped a glass thimble in a bucket used to wash cars and served that up!

• Stayed January 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Cochabamba, Bolivia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 23, 2011

We ended up here when our reservations at hotels rated # 2&3 were given away to travelers who arrived earlier. We could not have been more pleased. Friendly attentive and HONEST staff, spectacular views and the best food we have had in 6 months. The decor is a bit dated but it is very comfortable. Car alarms are the national anthem of Bolivia, get used to it. We stayed for three night and it was fabulous.

• Stayed December 2011
1 Thank Jeff R
South San Francisco, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2011

I had chosen this hotel based on the fact that it was nice and comfortable during my last stay, 7 years ago in 2004.
However, this time, no eye contact, no smile and no welcome from the reception desk upon arrival. I was only handed long administrative forms to complete just like the way it was in Moscow during the Cold War !
Despite the fact the hotel was almost empty and my written requests for a quiet room was forwarded in due time I was allocated a sad darkish overheated and very noisy one (#1023) with clogged drains driving me back to the reception to complain.
The new room I was given ( #1022) was only a little bit quieter but at 10 pm and after a long trip from Europe I was too tired to argue with the bureaucratic unhelpful people at the reception.

The next day as I was wandering in the hotel I realized how badly the once fancy and luxurious Radisson La Paz has changed over the last seven years.
Everything looked dated since no significant investment has been done in years !
Worn bed sheets have holes. The bathrooms of the three bedrooms I have occupied had all clogged drains. Breakfast area looks more like a kindergarten than a restaurant with dated orange dominant colors from the 70’s all over. There is no other possibility to cool down the overheated rooms (30 C or 89F) than by opening the windows and letting tremendous constant traffic noise and pollution in.
Moreover, the plethoric bureaucratic staff with poor English understanding does not compensate by efficient or reliable service except maids who are doing their best at this run down property. One day I was so dehydrated by the room’s overheating that I went down to the bar to pick up a bucket of ice cubes. After 5 minutes the bartender eventually got me a small glass with less than 5 ice cubes inside !
Even check-out was disappointing when I was given a handwritten tax invoice in line with the poor professionalism of this hotel’s staff.

Unfortunately I have no other place to recommend in the high end category. However, when staying at La Paz avoid the Radisson.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
7 Thank HOTELLMEMORE

Travelers are raving about these La Paz hotels

San Francisco
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2011

My lamp near the bed wasn't plugged in and when I went to plug it into the extension cord I got an electric shock for a few seconds. Someone from the hotel came to check it out and saw that there was a piece of metal on the side of the extension cord which I couldn't easily see. He wrapped the metal piece with tape and then plugged it in.

Rooms dated but staff is very helpful.

Mountain view rooms are better than just city view because the mountain view rooms look at both the mountains and city.

Nice panoramic views from the top floor restaurant and very reasonably priced; you can eat there for under 10 USD. When I was bought the check though the waiter also brought me a pen and then took it away and didn't come back. I had to call him over again to call him over again to ask for a pen so I could sign for the charges.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
3 Thank toantarticaandbeyond
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2011

After 2 weeks in small,basic hotels through Peru checking in here was wonderful.
From the spacious foyer,friendly staff to the pleasant rooms we enjoyed our stay so much.
Lovely big bathroom,with bath.Good size room with great views (maybe a little dated but far better than we had found on the rest of our travels in peru and Bolivia). Really good room service menu and fast service. Nice breakfast area with good breakfast variety.
Best of all the restaurant on the top floor with magnificient views out over la Paz,wonderful service and great seafood.
Only the lobby bar service was slow and aloof.
OK business centre to email home.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Mexico City, Mexico
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2011

Finding a chain hotel in bolivia is hard, and finding a radisson was a bit of a lucky strike. The hotel does need updating and the rooms are a flasback to the 1970's. BUT, you'll happy to have some of the base chain hotel commodoties, like a nice restaurant a nice bar, A sauna, pool and gym, etc.
It is on the expensive side in LA PAZ, but, its close to restaurants cafes and what not. Internet in the hotel is spotty like in most bolivian places, so ask for a room near the elevator which is were they place the router, the farther away you are the less signal you'll have.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Ashbourne, United Kingdom
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 1,031 helpful votes
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2011

I stayed just one night, and I always feel guilty reviewing a hotel after so short a stay - they have so little opportunity to impress (or alternatively, so little time to mess up).

When I checked in (it was pretty late), and I was given a free drink voucher for use at the bar. When I got to the bar, there was no barman, and I had to go looking. Eventually I found someone to help. Almost all the drinks were off limits for my coupon, and I ended up with a cocktail which tasted like shampoo. I'm never clear why hotels offer 'incentives' like this - they seem to do more hard than good. Here I am typing a hotel review based upon my experience in the bar seeking a free drink!

My room was OK, but the pillows hard, and the bathroom tired (1980's decor by my estimation).

I needed to check out early for my onward flight connection, and the breakfast had not opened yet. So I left hungry. I am sure the hotel is actually much better than the experience it gave me, but I can only comment upon my personal experience.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business