“We had a great stay, a few hitches though”

La Casona Hotel-Boutique
Ranked #7 of 77 Hotels in La Paz
Reviewed September 24, 2013

We enjoyed our time at La Casona, however I do feel it could be improved. The rooms were of a good standard, but there were some odd touches such as the Jacuzzi which looked like it came out of a 1980's adult film from eastern europe (not that I have ever seen one!)
It looks like some serious $$ were spent (we saw the "before" pics). Overall, not bad for Bolivia (it was my third trip there)

Room Tip: Dont get a room on the first floor!
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed June 19, 2013

I stayed at the La Casona twice, coming and going in and out of La Paz. As other reviewers have noted, this colonial building has been nicely restored resulting in a nice blend of historic and modern. There is a new addition underway that appeared to be getting close to opening that will seemingly double the room options. You can't beat the location and for being on a busy street, my room was very quiet. The staff was extremely helpful and WiFi worked great in the room, throughout the hotel and up on the roof top terrace, which is one of the really nice features of this property. Two points on breakfast - the general breakfast offering could be improved, not bad, just average for what is otherwise an above average hotel. Secondly, I was completely impressed that they provided a full continental breakfast to my room at 3:30 am, in order for me to depart hotel at 4 am for a 6 am flight out of La Paz. I did not ask them for it, just told them the night before I would have to depart early and they simply asked "what time would you like your breakfast delivered"! I consider that excellent service and something I'd go back for in the future.

Room Tip: Was only me, but understand there are multiple configurations for larger groups, so I'd just rec...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed May 22, 2013

This hotel took us in when another had lost our reservations. It was a nice hotel with clean, big rooms.
Minuses: The shower leaked (but we found this was common in most of the hotels in Bolivia and Peru) and the hotel was not the quietest place (no soft surfaces anywhere). Also, when they said breakfast started at 6 am, that meant that they started setting up then and would take half an hour - this was a problem on our tight schedule.
Pluses: The location was excellent and the staff was really friendly.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Tina-in-Maryland
Reviewed May 9, 2013

Quite a nice renovation of a very old building. We stayed in one one the family suites ( one bedroom ) with separate living room , kitchen and dining area. The beds were comfortable and the room was quiet. The bathroom ill designed with cheap fixtures and a jacuzzi tub straight out of the 8O's. very odd design for a colonial style hotel. Shower was equally bad quality. But pickings are slim in La Paz. At least it had non carpeted floors ( like most other hotels ) and heat in the room was working fine. Service was meh, but almost to be expected in Bolivia where they are not very customer oriented. The dining room is frequented by locals as well and we had two dinners that were surprisingly good. As others have mentioned skip the breakfast here. Very centrally located.we are not high maintenance And we rarely asked for anything. We got one load of laundry done there but I felt like they would not go out of their way if you would try to ask for anything out of the ordinary. Only reason I give it four stars is because of lack of other choices. El consulado is too small , and all the other five star hotels are 80's versions of a Hilton. I hope La Paz can get better boutique hotels in the future since its such a beautiful city.

Room Tip: In the back third floor for no noise from the street
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed March 25, 2013

Location:
The hotel is right in the centre. It is just stone throw away from Iglesia de San Francisco and close to the tourist sights and Witch Market. Buses and taxis are plenty outside the hotel, but you can just walk from the hotel to all the sights. Great choices of shops and restaurants nearby.

Arriving around 5 am in the morning, it did not look that good at first. Some street sleepers outside and the doors are tightly locked. First time in La Paz, it looked a bit scary to me. But it turned out everything was fine.

The Building:
I stayed in December 2012. The hotel is an old mansion from the colonial time. It still preserved the colonial atmosphere, but with modern amenities. When I was there, restoration work was still in progress and the museum not yet open. At the back of the hotel is a new annex where some rooms are located.

The Room:
The room is not that big, but it is not too small either. Heater was on, but I found it too warm and I was unable to turn it down. Washroom was ok. My room is close to the main street but I found it OK. I think I am the kind of person that fall asleep easily? The room is clean and tidy.

The Restaurant:
The breakfast is a loser. Not enough choices and I think I deserve better breakfast for the price I paid. Only some cold bread, fruits and yoghurt. I had dinner and I would say the food is very good. Not the best, but the food is above average. If they have a chef that can cook a good dinner, why not a good breakfast?

Staff:
Staff are very friendly and try to help as much as they can. English is OK, but don't expect perfect English. Free wi-fi available and there are computers also.

It is a great place to stay to explore the city. The price is not that cheap, but the location and the ambience is what you pay for. It is new (as at December 2012), and so it should be better than other premises nearby which, looking from the outside, are not as good as this one.

I also stayed in another hotel at the end of my trip to Bolivia. I will writing something about that hotel and hope it helps you to decide which one you want to stay.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank TripMember06092015
Reviewed March 8, 2013

This building has been recently restored into a hotel to a fine standard. At first appearance it looks impressive but there were lots of little niggling things wrong during our stay.
The first night we stayed in room 107 above the main entrance to the hotel. While the room was large the bathroom was minuscule. The main issue was the constant noise from the main road outside, not just from vehicles but also from the walkway and whistling traffic police. Avoid any rooms across the front of the hotel if you want to sleep. For some reason the check in staff thought I wanted a room with a view across the street, I'm not sure how this came about.

Following a sleepless night we were moved to room 112 towards the back of the hotel which was quieter with a larger bathroom. As with the earlier room we had one electrical socket not working and in the new bathroom the hair dryer wouldn't work when plugged into the faulty socket.

Bizarrely the sink and bath didn't have plugs, after asking for plugs we received a sink plug but we had to make our own plug to fit the bath. While the bathroom had basic toiletries a shower cap was not included and there was no spare toilet roll. While a lot of money has been spent on furnishings the finishing touches are missing and this was best demonstrated by the secure safe which had only one bolt securely fitted, two partly screwed in and one missing. Ventilation was limited to leaving the windows open or the door ajar, a fan to move the air around would have been a benefit as the rooms get a little stuffy when warm.

The breakfast was the worst our group experienced during our tour, more typical of a one or two star hotel, Choice was very limited with no serving utensils when we visited and only warm milk for cereals, this was later corrected and we did get our order of eggs but not as we expected. Coffee was instant Nescafe and Bolivia produces its own Coffee!.

Staff tried hard and were helpful but the Management need to set the standard and review the services the hotel attempt to provide for this to be a successful hotel. The rest of our group stayed in a more conventional hotel and enjoyed their stay while we were upgraded and ended up regretting South American Tours choice of upgrade.
The only positive aspect was the central location and free Wifi.

Room Tip: Stay away from rooms overlooking the main street. While the breakfast was incredibly poor the evenin...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank MacpG0
Reviewed November 24, 2012

I ended up staying here due to Bolivian national census day, which meant I couldn´t leave the hotel for 24 hours. However, I couldn´t have a picked a nicer place to spend my temporary imprisonment. This is by far the best hotel I have stayed in in South America. The rooms are massive and come equipped with all the necessary mod cons. The staff were extremely helpful and courteous. The food in the restaurant is good and the location is very, very central without the associated noise. Although this is one of the pricier hotels in La Paz, it is still a bargain compared to what you would pay in any other captial city in the rest of the world or South America for that matter. I would recommend to anyone seeking some respite from travelling.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo