“Excellent food, but service could be improved”

La Casona Restaurante-Cafe
Ranked #34 of 463 Restaurants in La Paz
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Buffet, Reservations
Description: Old restaured colonial building with new age and local food.
Reviewed January 21, 2013

My husband had the cheese plate and I had the steak. Both were delicious. The atmosphere in La Casona is really nice. We think the bad service was related to our waiter who seemed to be struggling with a large table of 20. Our food was ready and waiting in the kitchen but he was too busy to serve it so we had to ask another waitress to find out what was taking so long. She immediately brought it out to us. Otherwise, a nice place, highly recommended and good value for money.

Reviewed January 11, 2013

Very good experience here. The food was delicious, the salad bar was great and the service was also good. The set menu for lunch is cheap however you definitely get a quality meal with four courses. The tree milk cake was probably my favourite part of lunch. I would definitely recommend this restaurant!

Reviewed December 26, 2012

I love this place! Staff are polite and the food was really good.
Some of the dishes we loved and savored every bit were:
-The grilled lamb , the trout and the desserts

Reviewed December 16, 2012

We went in at about 13:00 on a Saturday. They were promoting a set menu only: salad bar, soup, and a choice of 4 main dishes. Three other couples came in after us. We waited 30 minutes for our drinks, which were wrong. As our tour guide was coming back shortly and we had been drinking from our own water bottles, we told them not to both with drinks. Then came the main dishes: cooked OK, but very small, my chicken was just a leftover chicken wing. Then the waitress told the other couples around us that there was no food left - they had been waiting for between 30-45 minutes, nibbling at things from the salad bar and sipping drinks, they all walked out without paying. Finally, when we paid, they complained that one of my one dollar bills was not up to their perfect standards. It is absurd for a restaurant with such poor service to then insist on the customer coming with clean banknotes fresh from the mint. We left it on the table and walked out. I wouldn't go back here, waste of time.

3  Thank objective_feedback
Reviewed November 24, 2012

I was in La Paz for 4 days in May this year and I ate at this restaurant 2 or 3 times. Their set lunch menu is 35 bolivianos (about $5USD) and includes a salad buffet, a main course (choose from 3 options) a soup and a fruit plate for dessert. Great value! The food is hearty and fresh. It was refreshing to be able to eat good salads as they are a bit hard to find in Bolivia. The restaurant looks beautiful too and is a restored mansion. There is also a hotel next door.

The dinner menu is more expensive but still worth it. We enjoyed excellent service and excellent food. The restaurant was full each time we went. Great food in La Paz :)