“Best but hardest thing I've ever done!”
Review of Huayna Potosi

3-Day Climbing Huayna Potosi from La Paz
Ranked #4 of 125 things to do in La Paz
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: A technical easy mountain over 6000m's, a good climb for beginners. Great for a first big mountain experience with great views of the Cordillera Real and mountains near La Paz. physically demanding, some acclimatization is need before attempting this trip.
Reviewed July 2, 2014

Note that I am not the most sporty person I really wanted to add a 6000 plus mountain on my list of things I have done on my travel.
Together with some friends we went so visit some agencies in La Paz and decided to go with Climbing South America. Which turned out to be a great choice. The help with the preparation was a plus. The guides were amazing, your safety is their main priority. All is included, food, drinks, gear, ...
We choose for the 3 days option which includes a day of training, using your gear and some ice climbing. Also a good way to adjust at the high altitude.
The climb wasn't easy but the feeling which you get on the top is undesirable! The view is the most stunning thing I have ever witnessed. No panorama will be the same after this :-)

3  Thank MaartenJ85
"summit attempt"
"fresh snow"
"day tour"
in 7 reviews
"felt safe all the time"

Reviewed June 29, 2014

I climbed this mountain with altitud 6000m. Meant to be the easiest 6000metre mountain which doesn't mean it is easy. We had 13 in our group and 5 didn't make it. This was mainly because of altitude sickness but one person didn't make it because he got too cold. It was very cold so make sure you attempted it with the most appropriate clothing/equipment!

Reviewed June 16, 2014

Huayna Potosi was the hardest physical thing I did in my life. Indeed you don't need alpinism skill but the hike is really intense in the snow even with my Canadian skills. It was hard to breath. Hopefully I don't have altitude sickness at all from what I experimented but the breathing is really hard. Be in good shape, well rested. And eat enough food!

But with all of effort the view on the top is awesome at 6000 meters and more. Best sunrise ever!

Reviewed June 1, 2014

We had 12 cm fresh snow when started the hike from high camp at 1:00 a.m.. I didn't make the summit -it seemed futile, turned back at 5600M. 20% of the group made the summit - Kudos Summiters!

1  Thank TiMEtraveler95