“Huayna Potosi - with Altitude6000”
Review of Huayna Potosi

3-Day Climbing Huayna Potosi from La Paz
Ranked #5 of 117 things to do in La Paz
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: A technical easy mountain over 6000m's to climb for beginners. Good for a first big mountain experience with great views of the Cordillera Real mountains near La Paz. physically demanding, some acclimatization is need before attempting this trip.
Reviewed March 31, 2014

It was an amazing experience and the guides of Altitude6000 were absolutly great!! I can strongly recommend this company and felt very safe all the time!!! They were really looking after us!
I had problems with my stomach coz of bad food the day before and first thought here is no way I can make it, we all stayed together as a group and took our time, so everyone (7 pers) made it to the top!!! (6hours from high camp)
Thanks alot, it was an absolutly professional guiding and the equipment and food was really good aswell. Still it was the hardest thing I´ve ever done :)

There are newer reviews for Huayna Potosi

Reviewed March 21, 2014 via mobile

... for an amazing experience. Great upfront organization through the office staff. Big thank you to Enrique the driver who drove us safely through the chaos of la Paz and El Alto to the Refugio and back. Last but no least I would like to thank Rachel and Julio for taking good care of us. Introducing us to ice climbing, being good chefs considering the limited means, showing patience, taking us to the top (or nearly) and taking the time to show and explain us the beautiful mountains. I (we) hope to be back for some more 6000 m mountains.
By the way, they have very good tips for hiking around the Cordillera Real too!

2  Thank AF1183
Reviewed January 24, 2014

I went with Altitud6000. You can find them at the top of Sagarnaga Street in La Paz. Very freindly, very professional, very safe. The owner/guide Juancho was great fun and always ready with a joke or a smile, yet also extremely proficient. The food these guys cooked for us was simply amazing!

Highly recommend the experience, and if you go, look up Altitud6000 first.

Reviewed January 3, 2014

When we were searching for an agency to go for a 3 days Trip to Huayna Potosí in La Paz after some other agencies we ended up in the office of Adolfo Andino. With his frindly and honest way , showing us the equipment straight away we were certain that we would book the tour with him. We just wanted to double check online, since one wants to be sure to be in safe hands. We were very astonished to find out about the bad experience people seemed to have had with some of his guides. So we decided to go with another agency even though they seemed much less engaged in the whole mountaineering and trekking buisiness. While we where waiting in front of their door until they would open bumped into Adolfo on his way to his office. He asked us if we wouldn´t book? We told him about the bad reviews in the internet and he said that he already thought something like this and that he would like to explain us how these have come about. After his very honest explanations we asked for some time to think it over and after 5 minutes went back to his office to book the tour. We never regreted that we did. We had a very friendly guide (Irineo) and never felt unsafe or not well looked after. The food was basic but really yummy and hot. And even though we didn´t make it to the top because of altitude sickness we would recommend this trip and Adolfo Andino to anyone. In fact I´m writing this review so that people can see that these 3 bad reviews in the Internet don´t really show the full picture. The guide that one of these reviews talks about went up with clients from another company on the day we were there. So if you - dear reader - should be double checking too: Go for it, and don´t let some bad reviews ruin the buisness of this dedicated and friendly man who sure knows how to organize this trip.

Good luck climbing Huayna Potosí -

Phil and Jojo

2  Thank Phillip2014
Reviewed December 31, 2013

Did the trip with Refigio Huayna Potosi. Comfortable clean refugio for base camp, good food, awesome guide, Feliciano. It was all very organized and I felt safe. I highly recommend the company. Best bit of advice: acclimatize yo'self! My friend & I spent close to 2.5 weeks in the La Paz area before even attempting this: a few days exploring La Paz and walking as far as we could up the the hills around the city, then doing day hikes on Isla del Sol, then a 7 day trek around Illampu where we were hiking up and own passes between 14,000-17,000 feet. We had almost no problems with altitude getting up the mountain after all of that: we both got intensely hungry (which lead to a bit of nausea for my friend) at one point a couple of hours below the summit, but had a quick snack and then were good to go again. Tie some socks or scarves around your water bottle & put it in your bag or else it will freeze and you'll be quite thirsty... don't want to get dehydrated at that height! All in all, I think one of the coolest things I have ever done... get used to the altitude, set a slow pace for yourself on your way up, and you can do it! :)

1  Thank JAPjp