“Stunning Final Ridge Ascent”
Review of Huayna Potosi

3-Day Climbing Huayna Potosi from La Paz
Ranked #3 of 78 things to do in La Paz
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: A technical easy mountain over 6000m's, a good climb for beginners. Great for a first big mountain experience with great views of the Cordillera Real and mountains near La Paz. physically demanding, some acclimatization is need before attempting this trip.
Reviewed July 23, 2013

Fantastic looking mountain with a stunning and very narrow final snow/ice ridge to get to the top. It is very accessible from La Paz, it can be done in two days. Because of this it gets busy with inexperienced backpackers trying to climb a 6000m+ mountain, majority of whom fail because they are not acclimatised for altitude properly. They can be a nuisance and dangerous but it is open to everyone. The hut gets very crowded and is very basic compared to Alpine huts - be warned.

All reviews
"summit attempt"
"fresh snow"

Reviewed July 10, 2013

Went in July 2011

Didn't climb it but I saw it near Chacaltya and it was INCREDIBLE! Magestic. The land in Bolivia is breathtaking. I wished I had more time and I would have climbed this mountain!

Reviewed July 9, 2013

The mountain itself it beautiful, and the climb is fairly easy considering the altitude. I would certainly recommend it to anybody who has already been at altitude long enough to be acclimatized to La Paz.

My experience with Travel Tracks was quite negative however. Despite paying nearly 1000 Bs, we were given very poor equipment. My jacket zippers were broken, the gaiter metal clips were snapped off, the gloves were cheap and seemed to absorb water, the pants were 3 sizes too big and one needed the harness to keep them up. Finally, when our boots were given to us at base camp, they were wet and falling apart, despite the guarantee that they would be repaired and dried before the trip. My mate and I made it within 150m of the summit before turning back due to frozen toes, something that would have been prevented had we gone with a better agency.

In summary, Huayna Potosi is a must-do for aspiring mountaineers, and will be one of the highlights of your trip whether you reach the summit or not. Just be very aware that not all agencies have the same quality of equipment.

Reviewed June 10, 2013

For those you have never done an high summit (like us), this is the best opportunity to do one. In the snow with the full equipment (shoes, crampons, etc..), you will enjoy the astonishing view from the top.. only after a tiring 5 hours climb up that you will remember your whole life.
Don't think about doing it, just do it.

See more reviews
Reviewed April 18, 2013

We decided to climb the mountain with Altitud 6000, there are a lot of companies which offer guided tours, we choose Altitud 6000 because they looked the most professional and were very friendly when we asked information.

We did the 2-day track, it was the most difficult walk we ever did, without our guide, Juancho we wouldn't have made it.
I felt safe all the time, and the gear we got was professional and from good brands.
We started with 4 people and we all made it to the top! 100%.

We got great food compared with the other groups.

I would recommend this company to everyone who wants to reach te summit, great guide, great food and safety is a priority for them!

Steven