“Fantastic value”

Inti Wasi Backpackers Hostel
Inti Wasi Backpackers Hostel
Ranked #60 of 85 Specialty Lodging in La Paz
Reviewed September 30, 2012

I'm surprised to see so many negative reviews for this place below. I personally quite liked it: I was on a budget so I wasn't expecting luxury, and the price- 30 Bolivianos ($4.20) for a private room in the middle of a capital city- was great

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends

Reviewed June 25, 2012

the place is definitely cheap, which is the only positive thing about it. The staff were extremely unwelcoming and rude, we were given a room on the main floor which isnt the greatest location...kids running around screaming and knocking on our doors until 11pm. Also 2 different members of staff unlocked our room and barged in (at 10:30 and 11 pm, when my friend and I were both ill and trying to sleep) under the pretense that we had been loaned some object. I kept repeating that we had only just arrived and no one loaned us anything. Staff were again horrible the next morning and did their best to make us feel unwelcome and silly for any questions we asked. WORST HOSTEL stay in all of south america so far, not worth it despite the cheap rates

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Emeline T
Reviewed June 14, 2012

The hostel is one of the cheapest in La Paz and you get what you pay for. It is allright to stay there, but the staff was really unfriendly. Our bed broke down the first night and they weren`t interested at all. We could change to another room the next day, but they didn´t care about the broken bed and didn´t fix it. They just rearranged it but it is still broken. If you need something they are just sitting in their office and don´t help you at all. Everything they do is smiling at you. We although gave them our laundry and we had to get really unfriendly to get it back after two days. In the end we had to go and get some change to pay for the laundry. Everything they did was sitting there, smiling at us and telling us that they don´t have change. If you are on strict budget its allright but don´t expect anything!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank fabfab123
Reviewed August 2, 2011

I stayed in El Solario on multiple nights between my trips to the mountains. The rooms are very basic but the beds in shared dorms are comfortable and reasonably clean.
There were left luggage facilities and no shortage of hot water (and that's what I'm after). Overall, very basic but supercheap.
I found the staff helpful.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed May 11, 2011

I stayed in La Paz, Bolvia and needed to save some cash so was told about El Solario by my Spanish teacher. It was only 30 BVS pernight / per person for a double room. It was pretty basic ...a double bed, a desk, chair, coat stand and a little bed side table. It was no 5 star hotel but I wasn´t paying a 5 star hotel price. We stayed for 13 nights in the end, so it couldn´t be all that bad!!!
BUT...because the room was on the main road it was very noisy at night and early morning. We got no sleep the first few nights but brought earplugs and some great nights sleep (in Bolivia there is always noise on the streets...police blowing whistles etc...and it was Easter when we stayed so parades were going on too).

There was a kitchen, but it only has 4 hobs in a row...so is a bit of a nightmare cooking with other people -there´s limited surface space so most people resorted to chopping in the common area outside (I guess it´s a good way to meet people). They also ask you not to put things in the fridge but they didn´t mind you keeping a bag of veg out under the counter which was fine.

The showers are shared and not always hot. I found if you turn the hot tap very slightly, rather than full on, it got hot. If someone else was showering at the same time..forget it!
You have to ask for loo roll (which is common in Bolivia I found) so just make sure you keep it in your room, otherwise you´ll be asking every time you need to go!

There are 4 PC but the internet is slow and sometimes didnt work. The hostel also has wifi.

The common areas are a bit grotty but again you aren´t paying for luxury. We found that cos we were paying less for the hostel room, we could afford to go out a little more which was nice. Plus we were studying and so being in our room in peace was ideal.

This is not a party hostel, just a chilled out place.
The staff were always very friendly too which is a plus.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 12, 2011

this is the worst. staffs are terrible.

iPods and money of my friends was stolen in this hostel, but staffs didnt care about that.
one of friends says "that is the works of staffs"...

Stayed: January 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed January 12, 2011

The worst survice. Staffs didn't care about traveler's wants.

• Stayed: January 2011