“Dont get your hopes up!”
Review of Star of India

Star of India
Ranked #330 of 444 Restaurants in La Paz
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed October 17, 2013

After hearing there was a "British run" Indian in La Paz, I was so excited at the thought of a good Korma and Pilau rice but as with many other South American Curry houses, I was left sorely disappointed. As others statd, it was bland and simply didnt hit the spot.

My boyfriend decided to try the mega hot vindaloo (which he finished and got an awesome t-shirt!) but he said the taste was simply disgusting due to the majority of the sauce being paste rather than a curry.

I wouldnt reccommend this place sadly unless you want the tee but be warned, it really is hot enough to make even the biggest spice fan ill for a week later!

1  Thank StephieAlice_13
There are newer reviews for Star of India

Reviewed October 4, 2013

Ok, after 3 months of SA food, my expectations for this place were sky high when I found out it was a British/indian currry house on my doorstep. Salivating with the prospect of a good curry without any cheese or ham in sight we descended on the place.

I went for the hottest curry on the menu. It was horrbile, but I´m not going to critisise this too much as they tried to hard to make it as hot as possible. Tasted grainy and wasn´t pleasant at all. They called it vindaloo but I´m not sure I would compare it to that. My girlfreind had a Chicken tikka misala after being told she could not have the Rogan Josh with chicken but only lanmb. It was as bland as you could possible imagine, a bit like a curry from a pub in the UK who don´t want to make anything that tastes of anything in case someone can´t take a little spice.

Mostly unimpressive, I guess I need to wait till I get home or go to india to get my fix. t saddens my heart, crying inside......

On another note, a good effort in a place where indian curry generally doesn´t exist.

Reviewed August 13, 2013

This was pretty bad to be honest. I had the Saag Paneer Aloo. Potatoes were inedible they were so undercooked, they put some sort of cheese in the actual sauce alongside the paneer - a stringy cheese like mozzarella or something which is just weird - and who wants to eat that much cheese? There didn't seem to be that many more ingredients in it either. My friend had the Chicken Madras. It has potatoes in it which is weird, and they were also undercooked. There was hardly any chicken.

Both of our rice portions were completely wrong. Mine was literally like a risotto. A bad risotto.

Really disappointing, when nearly all our experiences of Bolivian restaurants were bad and we really expected this to be good that we saved it for our last night.

Plus the service is really slow. I had to go an ask for a menu as we had been sat there for so long, and had to go and ask for our change. It took about half an hour for our poppadoms to arrive.

1  Thank lmjakob
Reviewed July 31, 2013

We went to this place based on a Lonely Planet recommendation, but perhaps it was because our edition was a couple of years old, the place certainly isn't worth it. Samosa starters were ok, mains were inedible. Mozzarella cheese in the curry?? We then ordered the vegetable korma, which was worse than the first curry. Too much cardamom, and too sweet. Inarguably, it was the worst meal we've ever had in a restaurant. Going by other reviews, perhaps the non-vegetarian dishes are better, but I certainly won't step inside to check that out.

1  Thank SunSydney
Reviewed July 29, 2013

I visit this restaurant every time I am in town on vacation and it never disappoints. The staff is genuinely friendly and it's the best Indian food in Bolivia, hands down. It's pricey when you're on a traveler's budget but every time I treat myself to a meal here, I always feel it was money well-spent. The Sag Paneer is my favorite but everything I have tried here is good, especially considering the difficulty in obtaining/substituting key ingredients.