“More than you would expect”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of A la Maison

A la Maison
Ranked #13 of 76 Hotels in La Paz
Nevele, Belgium
“More than you would expect”
Reviewed January 17, 2014

I stayed twice in this apart hotel, and both times I was delighted. The rooms are so big, clean and well decorated! The name 'A la maison' (at home) is not a lie, as I felt home immediately. Also, the owner and staff were really friendly and helpful and really made me feel at home. I had the bad luck to become altitude sick during a tour to Sajama and I even had to be hospitalized during 3 days. During my hospital stay, the owner was very helpful for my husband and cheered him up during this difficult period. When I was recovered and stayed again in this hotel, he gave us even his nicest and biggest room as New Year's gift to me! It was the room on the top floor, which has great views and is really nice decorated (it even has a kitchen!).
The hotel is situated in a quiet and safe neighbourhood, which is rare in a big city as La Paz. The disadvantage of this quiet location is the fact that many taxi drivers don’t know the location, but if you know the name of the street and the fact that the hotel is located at the end of a small alley, you will definitely find it (or even better: print the map in advance!)
Breakfast is served in a bag at your door, and in the room you can find the ingredients to make coffee, tea, hot chocolate, etc So you can enjoy your breakfast the way you like (in bed, in front of the television, etc). They can also help you with arranging taxi's to the airport or the city centre (although you can easily walk to the city centre, because it is downhill and not too far), and day tours with a taxi (e.g. Tiwanaku, Titicaca lake). They also offer (a very quick) laundry service.
If I would come back to La Paz some day, I would definitely stay again at A la maison!

Room Tip: I stayed in room 4 and 6; both were great
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
  • Arabic first
Ghent, Belgium
Reviewed January 12, 2014

I stayed here three times, in two different rooms, and had overall a superb experience. Maybe to start with the only con I can think of: the location. It is located in a nice neighbourhood, safe and quiet. BUT, when taking a taxi from the airport (60 BOB) the driver could not find it (it is located in a small side alley, without a big sign on the front) and he was too stuborn to ask around or call the hotel, so we spend quite some time driving around in the neighbourhood. My advice is to print the map from the hotels' website (or have mobile internet to look it up)! Once you know the location, you will not have a problem finding it, or directing taxis to it (using Plaza Espana as a guideway), and actually 1 out of 2 taxi drivers will know the hotel, and each driver will know the street. When arriving from Coroico, our Coroico taxi driver did know this place! Also be aware of the existence of a 'la maison' hotel in la Paz. Taxis from downtown central La Paz or the nearby restaurants in downtown Sopocachi can cost anything between 10 and 20 BOB, depending on time and negotiation skills. Buses will cost 1.5 BOB (daytime price, a little more expensive later on) from Sopocachi (Plaza Avaroa, 6 de Agosto), and 3 BOB from central La Paz (as you have to change buses on 6 de Agosto) to nearby Plaza Espana, from where it is an easy walk (even at this altitude). Overall, the location is a plus for me, as it is located in a really quiet and nice/safe neighbourhood - so print the map and don't be afraid to book this hotel.

The hotel itself is a gem. The owner is a very friendly French guy, and also other staff members are very friendly and helpfull (not necessary for us, but most of the time an English speaking person is around - which is rare in Bolivia). We had two different rooms: no 4 (2nd floor) and no 6 (top floor). Each room was incredible nice, with wooden floors, stylish decoration, big TV (with English speaking channels), artwork, a sitting corner. Breakfast is included (rare in an "apart hotel") and is hung in a bag at your door early in the morning. It exists of two ciabata-rolls per person and fresh juice. There is free drinking water in the room (!), as well as a water heater and cofee and tee. Room no 6 had a kitchen, no 4 not. The bathroom was nice and clean, with 24h warm water (not lukewarm!). There was sufficient heating in the room and the bathroom.

Besides all this, the owner was also very friendly helping me out when my wife got sick on a tour to Sajama (altitude sickness and some complications - even at a young age and with sufficient time spend at middle (+2500 m) elevations you risk this!) and ended up in a hospital: he gave me a room at a discount rate when I called him and explained our problems, without me being able to say how long I needed it. He also invited me on a new years' party (because my wife was still in the hospital) and helped me out with all sort of practical things! He was very helpfull and much more attentive then the tour organization that organized the trip during which my wife got sick (Ben Verhoef Travel Agency, Samaipata).
Overall, even without the owner and staff helping me out during our problems, this was the best place we stayed in during our Bolivia trip, and certainly a good value! A real recommendation and much better than the other hotel we stayed in during our visit in La Paz (check out my La Paz reviews).

Room Tip: If I would go back, I would take room no 4 (without a kitchen - why cooking if you find cheap and go...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 28, 2013 via mobile

Reading the reviews my husband and I had been really looking forward to our stay. Perhaps our last hotel had spoilt us! Or perhaps we just got unlucky with our ground floor apartment (by all accounts not as nice as upstairs). In an attempt to be less biased here's a run down of our pros and cons:

Pros
- Friendly owner
- Reliable hot water
- Breakfast hanging on our door each day so could have it when we wanted. Nice ciabatta rolls and juice
- Reasonable supermarket 5mins away in Plaza España
- Water dispenser in apartment (but the water smelt stagnant)
- Cable tv
- Internet ... But the signal was a bit temperamental

Cons
- Not v easy to find - our taxi driver was not impressed! But fortunately phoned his HQ for help
- Our flat (ground floor) felt damp and cold. The small portable storage heater and fixed fan heater in the bathroom were not enough to warm it up... And this was November. Basically this flat is a converted garage so not built to keep the heat in (the bedroom is the only part within the house)
- Flat was only cleaned once and this was on request. We stayed 5 nights! In a place where you have to put toilet paper in a bin, these should at least be emptied
- Ants. Probably because the kitchen bin was open (just a small wicker basket) and the place wasn't cleaned!
- Kitchen - 1 electric hob makes for limited cooking options... Although better than nothing
- Lack of privacy as no curtains or even netting to draw across the dining / kitchen area - a bit unnerving when it is dark outside and we had the lights on!
- Bed very uncomfortable with a convex mattress (our heads were sloping downhill!) and very creaky if we moved at all. We've stayed in 100bs per night rooms that had far better beds
- Creaky floorboards above the bedroom so noisy if our upstairs neighbours walked around!

Finally, we were not keen on the art - a large picture of a 'broken eye' does not make a great bedroom companion in our humble opinion! But that might just be us.

Overall I'm afraid we just didn't like the place much (hence the low rating) but I am aware some of that was probably a subjective gut feeling. I hope the pros and cons list will make it easier for people to make up their minds!

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Priya L
Hereford, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 24, 2013

I stayed at this apartment hotel with my daughter and her friend who were backpacking around South America and we all loved it! Tucked away from the hustle and bustle of the main commercial area of La Paz we had uninterrupted quiet nights sleep and woke up each morning to find our breakfast hanging on the door - fresh bread rolls, fruit juice and home made pineapple jam! The staff were very helpful with both places to visit and to eat, one evening we even had a take away delivered to our apartment! A great place to stay!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Gillian P
Reviewed October 23, 2013

I spent an excellent week at A la Maison. The staff were warm and helpful. I found the apartment was clean, spacious and airy with the fine touch of well-chosen antique pieces. I loved the jute curtains over the large windows!
Fresh juice and bread delivered to your door in the mornings. L.U.X.U.R.Y. And lots of coca leaves for tea ( much needed believe me).
The location was ideal; out of the hustle and bustle of the centre; perched on a hillside, I had brilliant views of the surrounding neighbourhood and the magnificent guardian of La Paz. Sopocachi was great with quirky bars and restaurants about and walking around at night felt secure.
Overall great feel to the place, lovely getaway.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank meaza
Tarija, Bolivia
Reviewed October 10, 2013

What is good about this place is its apartments, the hot water, the heating, the friendly attention of your hosts, and the fact that it is in a quiet neighbourhood. A very simple breakfast is left at your door to enjoy at an hour you prefer and in the privacy of your apartment. Having a kitchen is great for your budget as you can eat in if you wish. While it may seem a long way from the tourist part of La Paz (it’s only a 10-12 Boliviano taxi ride) it is close to the restaurant and cafe scene in Sopacachi which gives you a better selection of restaurants than the tourist area. So even though we had business to do in La Paz it was also a great retreat.

Room Tip: Choose an apartment
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Cartagena, Colombia
Reviewed August 28, 2013

I booked the apartment for 4 people for 2 nights 2 weeks ahead through booking.com in preparation to meet our friends who were arriving from Australia. We were arriving to La Paz early in the morning, so asked if we could check in early, or if not, leave our bags there until check in time. When we arrived, we were told that we could not have the room we booked, and were given two other rooms instead on the ground floor which were dark and damp. The explanation given was that the owner Ludo, made a decision to change the booking altogether for our benefit so we could have a shower and check in. What really happened was that the previous occupants of the apartment we booked wanted to stay one more night and Ludo did not honor our booking. The worst thing about it was that Ludo was completely unprofessional trying to play dumb and making it out as though we had requested it. Be careful when you book. We moved for the last night, and i agree, the apartment is great but it was a disappointing experience in terms of how we were treated.

Room Tip: Avoid the ground level rooms around the side. They are cold, dark and sub standard compared to the o...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends