Located in Sopocachi, at À La Maison, you get:
- Apartment with kitchenette (fridge, stovetop, ustentils and cookware)
- Fresh bread in the morning
The apartments at A la Maison are large and well decorated (we mean the walls), but the furniture in apartment 3 seems picked from a garage sale of 1972, the curtains in apartments 3 and 5 are in see-through jute (!), the glass-window of apartment 3 is broken with shards standing out (you could cut yourself seriously), the mattresses are really tired. In apartment 5, the living room furniture is better, but a large part of the kitchen walls are covered with jute again. All the floors are creaking to a point of waking everybody up (even the downstairs neighbours) just going to the bathroom. It is a major point when your neighbour is taking the 6:20 am AA flight back to Miami (this must happens often).
The apartment surface is amazingly large, has views on Illimani, but it only sleeps two. So, what's the point of having such a large surface.
The fresh bread and juice, they said was brought up at 7:00 - 7:15. It never made it before 7:30. It is very good bread, but it would be cool if it get just a bit earlier. You don't get fresh milk, you have to fix your coffee with milk powder. Hmm, fresh French bread and milk powder. It's like caviar with Bud Light (instead of vodka). Big deception. The good news is that you have a fridge in the kitchen and can actually cater yourself.
What made me mad was the check-out. They advertise Visa/Master Card as payment option. Since we were leaving at 4am for the airport, I checked out the night before. Three nights (1505 Bs including laundry). Since my Visa card has a chip, their machine won't work. First time in one month in Bolivia, my card has worked everywhere, except at A la Maison. I had to go back down Ecuador St to the ATM machine and come back with 1500 Bs in cash. I was tired and getting up early the next morning, so this unplanned 20 minutes of hiking up and down in the dark made me mad. Unacceptable to have to pay cash for such an expensive place (for Bolivian standard).
From all the past reviews, we wonder if the place has changed owner. It is definitely going down the drain from our point of view...
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A home in the heart of La Paz in the bohemian neighbourhood of Sopocachi 300m from the tranquil Plaza España. We welcome you to the luxury of a hotel along with the warmth of a home. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Hotwire, Travelocity, Priceline, Cheap Tickets, Agoda and HRS so you can book your A la Maison reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Apart Hotel La Paz