“Fantastic Argentinian Steak!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of El Arriero

El Arriero
Ranked #103 of 408 Restaurants in La Paz
Good for: Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
“Fantastic Argentinian Steak!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2013 via mobile

Me and my partner are travelling on a budget and decided to treat ourselves to a nice steak dinner at El Arriero and we were very happy we did!! The steak was absolutely amazing and it had a great salad bar with lots of options to accompany it. Our waiter was very good, even though he spoke basically no English he was very attentive. Overall, 2 steaks and 2 drinks cost us about $US35 so was well worth it. Would definitely go back again if we were in La Paz

La Paz, Bolivia
“Best steak in town”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2012

a real argentinian churrasqueria. The best Argentinean meat and good selection of beers and wine..
The friendly argentinian owner, "Jorge" in person to supervise each dish.

Visited September 2012
Vancouver, Canada
“A new experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2012

My newly-met friend of Bolivia invited me to this restaurant to show me one of the best and of course, expensive local restaurant. I don't have sensitive taste of food. The steaks and fillets didn't impress me much, but the atmosphere was excellent and we were very well attended. I particularly like the all-you-can-eat salad bar where I tried many new dishes and favours. They were my first experience and made up of a good memory of adventure on some delicious new foods.

• Visited March 2012
Bolivia
“Not what we remembered”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2012

El Arriero was one of our favorite La Paz restaurants 2 years ago. At that time we were impressed with the high-quality meats. Tables at lunchtime were filled with top Bolivian military officers, business executives, staff from international organizations and embassies.
Things seemed to change a bit when we visited again in December 2011 (see my review), and seemed to have changed even more when we visited this week. My spouse found a long black hair on his plate. I asked a waiter if the beef was actually from Argentina, as advertised; he hesitated then assured me it was. My bife de chorizo this time was tough, with gristle and fat. When I mentioned this, the waiter kindly brought me a different piece of meat; it was more tender, but not the quality I expected (and it was bloody and nearly raw, when I requested medium well-done). Breads were now coarse, everyday La Paz "marraqueta" rolls. The formerly overflowing salad bar this time contained a few raw veggies and some boiled potatoes. The clientele this time included scruffy backpackers and families with unruly children who ran loose through the restaurant. Perhaps newer customers are less demanding and management has lowered its quality standards accordingly. We doubt that we will return to this former favorite restaurant, unless quality improves. This is disappointing to us.

• Visited February 2012
1 Thank stitcheroo1
Bolivia
“Good steaks, but...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 22, 2011

We've eaten at El Arriero numerous times over the past 3 years. Probably the best place in the general downtown La Paz area for good steaks, which are flown in from Argentina. Service is always attentive. But on our last visit a week ago, the morcilla and chorizo sausages we had as a sort of hors d'oeuvre left us feeling queasy. They were not the same as we remembered. Stick to the steaks and the generous salad bar.

Visited December 2011