“PARTY”

Ranked #2 of 76 Specialty Lodging in La Paz
Manchester, United Kingdom
“PARTY”
Reviewed March 6, 2012

I was a 19 year old girl travelling alone and stayed in the 16 bed dorm next to the bar. Its cheap, nice and sooooo much fun. The point of the hostel is to have fun, the staff are really helpful and the tab system is a great bonus. The beds are the best in South America, not kidding.

I stayed hear for 9 nights, which was a little too long for La Paz but the people I met, and the atmosphere made it impossible to leave! The food was actually quite nice - as a vegetarian meals were hard to find, but there were a few options. I would beware as a few people did get food poisoning...

The showers were nice and HOT all day, which for Bolivia a real novelty. I don't normally write reviews but seeing as it was one of the best hostels I stayed in couldn't help it!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
  • Korean first
Perth, Australia
Reviewed February 23, 2012

As others have said I made the most of it and partied for 3 nights. On my last night I wanted to sleep before getting on a 7am bus. Unfortunately that night some try-hard artist had decided he was going to paint a door right outside my room til 3am. Every 5min some looser would walk up and ask the same 5 lame questions. Then after a while every loner traveler Id seen over the last 3 days had formed some ultimate loser group and were chatting and yelling outside my room in the corridor??? THERES A FKN BAR??. I told them to shut up a million times but I dont know what was more annoying the noise or the pathetic conversation. But it kind of summed up my time here.. I realised there were a lot of loosers here.. I really only liked the Irish and a few Aussies I met.. everyone else was either boring or trying to latch onto me or chat up the girls that were waay out of their league. Worst place Ive stayed in the last 8 months. What kind of a manager books in a door to get painted til 3am? Although my experience wasnt half as bad as the other ppl checking out with us in the morning.. I still wont be staying in Cuzco Wild Rover as a result. If you do stay here for 1 night max.. be thoughtful and dont talk in the hallways.. oh and eat the food here its AMAZING!

Room Tip: Somewhere at the back!! Or better yet across the road there is a cheaper quieter hostel and you can...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Berkshire
Reviewed February 11, 2012

As others before have said we were weary coming to this hostel due to its reputation.

And it lived up to most things. We had a great night and drank in the bar with lots of other travellers and then headed off in to La Paz for a crazy night, which we had!

However if like us you are pretty fragile the next day and cant do two nights in a row the chances are some of the other younger guests in your dorm can and will make a bit of noise. The guys in our room were really nice and apologetic but we kind of expected it, I am not sure you can go here and expect a serene hostel experience, it won't happen.

Needless to say we checked out the next day and headed on!

Overall the hostel was clean, the showers and bathrooms ok.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
bolton, england
Reviewed February 5, 2012

Long story short, was due to move rooms to save a few bucks. The bed I was supposed to move to the guy didnt check out. This bed was 44bs. I was offered the only other available bed at 52bs. The managers offer was to either take the guys belonging from his bed, BREAK OPEN his locker and take his valuables too or I can have the 52bs room with no discount, even though I had waited 4 hours after checking out before I had this option. I was shocked a manager would even consider taking a guests belongings so refused to allow him to do that. Asked for an 8bs discount on the room. His reply was I've given u options, its your choice, the hostel is full so if you don't want it, someone else will.

Basically he was happy to screw over somebody and gave me the choice who it was, me or the guy who didn't check out.

Disgusting behaviour from a manager. Strongly advise staying round the corner at loki. Much nicer backpackers with a manager, owner and staff who know how best to treat their customers

Oh and don't expect to get any sleep at wild rover, the bar is stupidly loud and small

• Stayed January 2012
3 Thank banzai999
Montanita, Ecuador
Reviewed January 25, 2012

I had a bad experience here.

Two main reasons:

First, when I arrived at 2am (with a reservation) they escorted me to my room (4-person dorm). As soon as I opened the door I realized that nobody had prepared a bed for me. There were half-empty liquor bottles scattered everywhere. There was trash in my locker. I was tired and it sucked. The staff did make up a bed for me when I asked, although they used sheets that were scratchy from being washed way too many times. I didn't sleep well. I talked to the management in the morning and they gave me half off my bill, which I appreciated.

Second. I emailed these guys to ask a question. The email response contained this:

"If you booked through Hostelworld or Hostelbookers please share your positive comments and rating online or contact the manager on duty with any concerns you may have. If you give us a rating that reinforces or improves our current position and a positive online comment, we are happy to provide you with a 50% discount of your first night’s accommodation on your next stay with us at any of our Wild Rover Hostels. The discount only applies to dorms and you must book through our website or reception."

So they basically pay people to give them good reviews. Not cool.

I get that it's a party hostel. It doesn't need to be spotless. But for the money, this is not a very good one. If you want to stay at a party hostel in La Paz, I liked Adventure Brew better when I stayed there. It's cleaner with better beds and better breakfast.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Theo S
Limerick, Ireland
Reviewed January 25, 2012

Stayed here with my girlfriend having just come from the Wild rover in Cuscoe, Peru. This hostel was fine but really not much more than that. I can only really compare it to its' sister hostel in Peru but when i do, this one just didn't have the same easy going atmosphere, pleasant staff, or charm of the one in Peru. The staff were fine. Just functional really but not the most pleasant. The wireless internet didn't work the whole time we were there but to be honest, to keep your stuff safe and have someplace to stay before you move on to somewhere ele it's ok for a night or two, just don't plan on staying any longer than that as it's a bit of a hole. The one in Peru had people who had been staying there a couple of months and i put that down to the great staff. This one could learn alot from them

Room Tip: the en suite rooms/ couple rooms are the way to go if you want at least some privacy although you wi...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Berlin, Germany
Reviewed January 24, 2012

I was searching for a hostel in La Paz, and stranded in wild rover which is one of the party-hostels.
Unfortunately I didn't know it was so I wasn't prepared.
The rooms where hugh, I lost myself in the complex which at the start wasn't a problem. But being unable to sleep in the night, not being allowed to cook my own food and to safe money with that where to aspects I really don't search in an hostel and that really annoyed me. I wasn't even allowed to heat water for coffee. moreover it isnt allowed to bring your own food to the rooms, so you totally depend on the overly high prices of the hostels kitchen.

i was more than annoyed and disappointed and left the next day...

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo