“Bad, Really Bad”

Quality Inn Arkansas City
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Arkansas City
Reviewed November 22, 2008

First of all, the staff was extremely incompetent at check in. On top of not knowing what they were doing, they were rude.

When I we got to our room it was so hot, the sheets when turned down were filthy. We had to get clean sheets, and make the bed ourselves. The bathroom had hair in the tub, on the floor and in the sink. I think a really hairy person was in there before us and housekeeping just forgot to clean it. The toilet had urine all over it, so the hairy person left behind his mark as well. Gross.

We asked to be moved to another room after finding the disgusting bathroom. 2nd room, not much of an improvement. The pillowcases had blood or something on them. Asked for clean pillowcases, and put those on them myself. The tub had soap scum all over it, and I felt I should have brought my ajax and cleaner to clean it. I just could not believe the issues. One after another. I felt like I should be on their housecleaning staff!!!

I gave up with the cleanliness and tried to sleep after changing our pillowcases. I just wanted to sleep and get out of this hotel tthe next day.

Best Western should be ashamed to represent this dump. We won't be back, and warning to other travelers, it's very dirty and not worth the money that we paid.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Quality Inn Arkansas City

Reviewed October 28, 2008

The rates were higher than what was shown on the web site Hotel-guide.us. A "AAA" discount, was supposed to be applied, but when checking in, I was informed that they don't accept AAA on weekends!

The bathtub did not drain and the toilet wouldn't flush. Maintenance fixed it after I called about it Saturday morning.

After returning to our room from the Arkalalah Saturday, we found that someone had entered the room, made one bed, & put away my daughter's clothes, but didn't make the other bed, clean the room, or provide clean towels, etc.

The hot tub was COLD!

Breakfast was horrible! Milk was warm, juice was warm, food was cold and tasted bad!

Sunday after checking out, we realized we had left some items in the room, so we called to have them brought to the front desk. When I returned to pick them up, some of our items were missing. I talked to the manager of housekeeping and she said there had been reports from other guests about the lady who was assigned to clean our room, she'd been seen throwing items out of guest room windows. She told me she would deal with the staff, but I couldn't speak to the lady because I probably wouldn't be able to understand her. The manager said she would find my belongings and return them to me, so I waited, and she returned within minutes with the remainder of my things.

I'll never stay there again!

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed October 24, 2008

I would have a confirmation number and address though the front desk was possibly the most ineffective group I have experienced in the 30 years I have been traveling. The room rate was 30% higher then confirmed, check in took 45 mins. The directory in the room was for a Best Western in St. Charles, MO. The hot tub was colder then the pool and the desk clerk stated that it was as hot as it could safely be. I have stayed in hotels, motels and Inns from Bejing to Seattle and to date have experienced none including the mom and pops and econo inns that would rate lower then this. The only reason we are staying is due to the inavailability of other rooms. I traveled from TN, My mother in law from Iowa and my kids from all around the area. The is a disaster! My father in law had Oxygen delivered and due to the staff mislabelling it we must scramble to get another source. I will be sending this to Hotels.com, Expedia, Travelocity and anyone else that will listen.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed July 6, 2008

To start, our room was dirty and the pillows were flat. The toilet ran all night and there was no maintenance crew after hours to fix it so needless to stay it kept us awake all night. In the morning at breakfast, we noticed that the milk had been expired for TWO WEEKS. I went to get an orange and they were ALL moldy. They were almost all totally Green! I almost became sick because I was wondering about what all my other kids had eaten and if they would become sick. BTW, my daughter did become very ill and had to be taken to the ER later that night and the doc stated that it was probably food poisoning! To top it all off, I have been trying to contact the manager to tell them of my experience and they will not call me back. Also I called the Best Western customer service number who said they would contact the manager and have them contact me and I still have not been contacted. It has now been a month since I first contacted them. I just emailed them one more time and if they dont contact me within one week I am going to contact the Cowley County health dept. Unless you like food poisoning and dirty rooms, do not stay there........

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed October 28, 2007

1. Beds were as hard as a rock
2. Handles on sink kept coming off
3. Did not give us the proper amount of towels and wash clothes for the number of guests in the room.
4. Toilet was not tight to the floor
5. BBQ Sauce was splattered on bathroom door
6. Need more lighting in the Atrium.
The renovation is a joke Just new carpet and paint is called a renovation? We are going to stay next door, next year we have already
checked it out. They need a better maintenance crew and get softer beds, if the problems mentioned above could be taken care of I would reconsider staying their, but until that I will stay at the SUPER 8 next door, its owned by the same people any way..

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled with family
Reviewed April 15, 2007

I almost didn't stay here because of some of the poor reviews. I'm glad that I checked it out for myself because it is great! The rooms and public areas are clean and the staff is very professional and also friendly. I came to this area to work out at Strother field and I'm sure that I will always stay at this hotel. Don't believe the negative postings, this is a great place to stay.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled on business
2  Thank tifferMn
Reviewed July 7, 2006

I had thought I'd stay, just to see if they'd improved any since the terrible experience I had there last time, a couple of years ago. I ended up not checking in and here's why:

1. Very, very dirty glass doors--all four of them. Not a very welcoming sight upon arrival. I don't think the degree of smears and stains could have happened in one or two days.
2. In the lobby, the floor was littered with various bits of trash and paper. Some of it was from a wedding in progress in a banquet room, but others were just trash bits and dust.
3. An employee was standing in front of the front counter with two huge garbage cans that were filthy and awful looking and with a sour smell from the stuff left in it and that dripped on the sides. Very off-putting to even stand near.
4. It was the 4th of July, but I had thought the restaurant would be open at some point. The door was closed, but there was no sign indicating holiday hours, and no one knew if it would be open or not. One employee said, "A lot of people have asked."
5. The pool was obviously in order because the yelling and screaming was so loud the people talking to me had to raise their voices to be heard over it.
6. I went into the lobby bathroom, since that had been particularly worn looking last time. This time it looked better, painted and new tile. But the large mirror over the sinks were streaked from top to bottom, all across, as though they had been sprayed with a cleaner but not wiped down. It was generally clean, though littered with paper and with water on the floor.
7. I saw someone in the parking lot and asked him if he was staying there and what the rooms were like. He said, "There are several of us here. My room is OK. Some of the others haven't been impressed, but one guy likes his a lot. I think they're a lot better than they used to be. But for some reason this place can't seem to keep the nooks and crannies clean looking."

I decided not to risk it, and checked in at the Super Eight across the way. It is owned by the same corporation in India that owns the Regency. The managers are from India as well. I understand they also own the new Comfort Inn in Ponca City, as well as others. I don't know how long this ownership has been in place, but since the Colonial/Super Eight opened, it's always been better maintained than the Regency. The counter people seem more businesslike most of the time, as well--although sadly, there must not be a stellar group of applicants, since some of them do leave a lot to be desired in appearance. They are friendly though.

I found out that the two motels have different managers. I don't know if that makes a difference or not. All I know is I stayed at the Super Eight and was happy with it. It has a breakfast with fresh waffles and the usual cereals, rolls, and my favorite, English muffins.

If the rooms at the Regency are clean and nice looking now---though they'd have to come a long, long way to be that--I'd like to see the place succeed. But they need additional training for staff, as well as constant supervision about the things that set a nice hotel apart from a shoddy one. For one thing, two people, doing nothing at a counter, could certainly pick up trash from the floor and keep things tidy in the public areas. And never should greasy, dirty, smelly garbage cans be sitting in front of the check-in counter!

Incidentally, for two days a small truck was pulled up next to the Regency and taking mattresses and furniture out of the hotel, but padding and stacking them as though moving them to someplace else. So, perhaps renovation is still ongoing. And perhaps one of the other motels they own is getting the old stuff!

If I decide to try checking in next time, I'll ask to see a room first, to determine cleanliness as well as location in relation to the pool. Many times customers don't think to do that, but it is perfectly acceptable, particularly when there have been so many problems in the past.

I hope this was helpful!

• Stayed: July 2006
Liberty Inn
Liberty Inn
#4 of 5 in Winfield
Americas Best Value Inn - Arkansas City

Been to Quality Inn Arkansas City? Share your experiences!