“Hated It!!!” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Arkansas City
colorado springs
“Hated It!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2008

To start, our room was dirty and the pillows were flat. The toilet ran all night and there was no maintenance crew after hours to fix it so needless to stay it kept us awake all night. In the morning at breakfast, we noticed that the milk had been expired for TWO WEEKS. I went to get an orange and they were ALL moldy. They were almost all totally Green! I almost became sick because I was wondering about what all my other kids had eaten and if they would become sick. BTW, my daughter did become very ill and had to be taken to the ER later that night and the doc stated that it was probably food poisoning! To top it all off, I have been trying to contact the manager to tell them of my experience and they will not call me back. Also I called the Best Western customer service number who said they would contact the manager and have them contact me and I still have not been contacted. It has now been a month since I first contacted them. I just emailed them one more time and if they dont contact me within one week I am going to contact the Cowley County health dept. Unless you like food poisoning and dirty rooms, do not stay there........

• Liked — When we left!
  • Disliked — The moldy food!
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Hutchinson,Kansas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2007

1. Beds were as hard as a rock
2. Handles on sink kept coming off
3. Did not give us the proper amount of towels and wash clothes for the number of guests in the room.
4. Toilet was not tight to the floor
5. BBQ Sauce was splattered on bathroom door
6. Need more lighting in the Atrium.
The renovation is a joke Just new carpet and paint is called a renovation? We are going to stay next door, next year we have already
checked it out. They need a better maintenance crew and get softer beds, if the problems mentioned above could be taken care of I would reconsider staying their, but until that I will stay at the SUPER 8 next door, its owned by the same people any way..

• Stayed October 2007, traveled with family
MN
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2007

I almost didn't stay here because of some of the poor reviews. I'm glad that I checked it out for myself because it is great! The rooms and public areas are clean and the staff is very professional and also friendly. I came to this area to work out at Strother field and I'm sure that I will always stay at this hotel. Don't believe the negative postings, this is a great place to stay.

• Liked — cleanliness, facilities available-pool,hot tub, restaurant, refrigerator & microwave in room
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank tifferMn
Aurora
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2006

I had thought I'd stay, just to see if they'd improved any since the terrible experience I had there last time, a couple of years ago. I ended up not checking in and here's why:

1. Very, very dirty glass doors--all four of them. Not a very welcoming sight upon arrival. I don't think the degree of smears and stains could have happened in one or two days.
2. In the lobby, the floor was littered with various bits of trash and paper. Some of it was from a wedding in progress in a banquet room, but others were just trash bits and dust.
3. An employee was standing in front of the front counter with two huge garbage cans that were filthy and awful looking and with a sour smell from the stuff left in it and that dripped on the sides. Very off-putting to even stand near.
4. It was the 4th of July, but I had thought the restaurant would be open at some point. The door was closed, but there was no sign indicating holiday hours, and no one knew if it would be open or not. One employee said, "A lot of people have asked."
5. The pool was obviously in order because the yelling and screaming was so loud the people talking to me had to raise their voices to be heard over it.
6. I went into the lobby bathroom, since that had been particularly worn looking last time. This time it looked better, painted and new tile. But the large mirror over the sinks were streaked from top to bottom, all across, as though they had been sprayed with a cleaner but not wiped down. It was generally clean, though littered with paper and with water on the floor.
7. I saw someone in the parking lot and asked him if he was staying there and what the rooms were like. He said, "There are several of us here. My room is OK. Some of the others haven't been impressed, but one guy likes his a lot. I think they're a lot better than they used to be. But for some reason this place can't seem to keep the nooks and crannies clean looking."

I decided not to risk it, and checked in at the Super Eight across the way. It is owned by the same corporation in India that owns the Regency. The managers are from India as well. I understand they also own the new Comfort Inn in Ponca City, as well as others. I don't know how long this ownership has been in place, but since the Colonial/Super Eight opened, it's always been better maintained than the Regency. The counter people seem more businesslike most of the time, as well--although sadly, there must not be a stellar group of applicants, since some of them do leave a lot to be desired in appearance. They are friendly though.

I found out that the two motels have different managers. I don't know if that makes a difference or not. All I know is I stayed at the Super Eight and was happy with it. It has a breakfast with fresh waffles and the usual cereals, rolls, and my favorite, English muffins.

If the rooms at the Regency are clean and nice looking now---though they'd have to come a long, long way to be that--I'd like to see the place succeed. But they need additional training for staff, as well as constant supervision about the things that set a nice hotel apart from a shoddy one. For one thing, two people, doing nothing at a counter, could certainly pick up trash from the floor and keep things tidy in the public areas. And never should greasy, dirty, smelly garbage cans be sitting in front of the check-in counter!

Incidentally, for two days a small truck was pulled up next to the Regency and taking mattresses and furniture out of the hotel, but padding and stacking them as though moving them to someplace else. So, perhaps renovation is still ongoing. And perhaps one of the other motels they own is getting the old stuff!

If I decide to try checking in next time, I'll ask to see a room first, to determine cleanliness as well as location in relation to the pool. Many times customers don't think to do that, but it is perfectly acceptable, particularly when there have been so many problems in the past.

I hope this was helpful!

• Stayed July 2006
2 Thank TravelingTrainer
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2006

We stayed here for a reunion had several rooms booked,Rooms were double books (walked in on people did not know), Rooms not cleaned during stay.Ceiling fell in shower no accomadations made ,had to tell staff several times finally at 10:00/11:00 at nite was moved AGAIN to another room.Manager unhelpful and very rude when complaints brought to his attention! Would rather sleep in the park before staying their again.

• Stayed June 2006
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2006

Some say they like this hotel. If you like dirty rooms and rude clerks....be sure to stay here.

Yuck Yuck Yuck. Remodel is a joke. If you read other reviews I'm not sure where these people stayed, it's not the same hotel we stayed at in 2006. The Regency? Yeah right. Joke's on them.

• Stayed March 2006, traveled on business
1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2006

My boyfriend and I reside in Maine. We went to Arkansas to visit his 4 children, The trip was long with alot going on we foud it relaxing to sit by the pool or in the hot tub. The owners gave us no problems with my Boyfriends children spending the day at the hotel enjoying the pool and hot tub also. The Hotel was clean the pool is beautiful. We plan on coming back in July with my 3 teenagers, by just the photos alone my teens are just as excited to visit as I am to return for a second time. This Hotel was clean the people working there were kind, there was free breakfast in the AM. If your going to visit Ark city I suggest you stay at the Regency.

• Stayed February 2006
Americas Best Value Inn - Arkansas City
Town House Motel
Town House Motel
#5 of 5 in Arkansas City

Been to Quality Inn Arkansas City? Share your experiences!