“LOVELY SPOT BUT COME WITH A FULL WALLET”
Review of Hotel L'Auberge

Hotel L'Auberge
Ranked #3 of 65 Hotels in Punta del Este
Maplewood, New Jersey
“LOVELY SPOT BUT COME WITH A FULL WALLET”
Reviewed March 19, 2013

I am having difficulty rating Hotel L'Auberge. On one hand, the setting is lovely. It is located about four miles outside of the seaside town of Punta del Este in what has to be the area's most beautiful neighborhood. The grounds are beautifully maintained, the pool is nice, the beach is less than a 10-minute walk, and the antique-filled hotel itself looks like it was transported from the English Cotswolds, not at all what you'd expect to find in South America. What keeps me, however, from giving it an excellent rating is the room that we stayed in during our recent two-night stay. We booked a standard room, which turned out to be in the tower part of the hotel. The room was one of the smallest we've ever encountered, and, with a penchant for boutique hotels, we have stayed in some pretty small places. But this room gave new definition to the word "small." In fact, this was the only spot during our three weeks in South America that we had a double bed. Moreover, there was only space for one of our suitcases, which were carryon-size. My husband had to put his in front of the closet, which meant we couldn't open the closet without moving the suitcase. The room's decor was fine, nothing fancy but no complaints. It was clean and appeared freshly painted, but the mirror in the bathroom was scarred. The nicest part of the room was a very large balcony. We stayed halfway up the tower (I think it was the fifth floor) and it appeared that only that room and the one at the top had access to an outside space. It was lovely and we even had a bit of an ocean view, although this was not classified as an "ocean view" room. We peeked into a room in the newer part of the hotel when it was being cleaned and it did seem more spacious, although not really large. But if you want one of these rooms you will pay considerably more. The problem with staying out of town is that you don't have many choices for meals. Prices are high everywhere in this Hamptonesque town, but there are many restaurants at the marina that offer specials, so you can eat well and for a lot less than you pay at L'Auberge. We did eat lunch and dinner at the hotel one day, because we concluded that by the time we spent the $15.00 both ways that a taxi costs we were better off just staying put. Both menus were priced in American dollars, never a good sign. The lunch we had at the pool restaurant was delicious, the dinner nothing special. There is a tea service everyday where people come from miles around to sample the hotel's waffles. We considered doing it but it was hard to work up much enthusiasm to pay what amount to about $17.00 apiece for a breakfast food, so we passed. As an alternative to paying the ridiculous taxi fares, I would recommend walking in and back on the beach to town and dining at the marina. There is also a bus and the hotel will give you a schedule. If you plan on staying for more than a night or two, you might want to consider renting a car. As for the much lauded service, I found it courteous and competent but nothing special.

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank dmp1013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Frankfurt, Germany
Reviewed March 7, 2013

We had chosen the rooms in the Tower, just because of the Ocean View. What I did not recognise before I entered the room: Rooms in Towers ARE inevitably small. Really small. That small that we even did not know how to store our empty luggage. That small that there is only space for a queen size bed (and the mattress was not comfortable at all, but weak).

On top, we had problems with the electricy / the water boiler, so that there was either no power or no hot water and we had to move from 10th floor to 8th floor on the second day. The hotel provided help in moving our stuff and offered us their famous Waffles as a compensation for the inconvenience - well, OK. The Waffles ARE great, but I would not have eaten them if they were not offered for free - their normal price is simply unreasonable, like all prices. We did thus not try lunch or dinner there, only had some drinks in the garden.

As the other users say: the hotel itself looks nice, the garden is very nice, it is situated in a very quiet part of PDE - but the value for money (in the tower rooms) is poor. I have seen some of the garden rooms, which are spacious, but even more expensive. Punta del Este in general IS expensive, but be assured, USD 290 for the room in the tower is much to much even for PDE standards.

We wondered in general how the Hotel got the 5 Stars. Compared to European, Middle East or Asian 5 Star-Hotels, even compared to Argentinian 5 Star-Hotels, it is NOT a 5-Star.
They do neither offer an airport-shuttle, nor a shuttle to Peninsula (yes, there are Taxis, but when they are called, you pay for their coming, depending on from where they are coming, this might be 1/3 of the total fare!).
The choice at breakfast is not what I am used to from other hotels (only 1 variety of cheese and ham - if you stay for 6 nights, this is really boring). The rest is OK, a good choice of sweet pastry, good bred & rolls, cereals & yoghurt, coffee as much as you like, fresh fruit juices and eggs on command.

We spent two days on the very comfortable sunbeds in the garden, and although they have a poolhouse with a restaurant and 2-3 waiters available there, we were only once in nine hours asked if we'd like to order some drinks. The other times, we had to go to the bar and order there. This is not what I'd expect - I've stayed in hotels with AI-scheme (where the owner does not really earn money on drinks) where I was asked more frequently about my wishes than there (and believe me, with a bottle of water @ USD 6, the hotel could have earned more here if the waiters would just have made a round in the garden every hour).

If you want to spend time on the Beach, the hotel will provide you with an umbrella, towels & beach chairs (only to sit on), but unfortunately, they have no arrangement with the guy renting sunbeds there. If you do not want to put the towel directly in the sand, you will spend another 15 USD per day & sunbed.

Overall, no recommendation from my side.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank SZIM71
LAuberge, Owner at Hotel L'Auberge, responded to this review, March 8, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

Yes, the rooms in the tower are inevitably small since they were not there originally. These were built in 1981 with the idea that it would be charming to stay in a room inside the old water tower. Some guests who visit us every year prefer those rooms to the larger rooms in the newer areas. Its just a matter of preference.
Of course, we do provide luggage storage so there is no need to keep them inside the room.

The problem with the electricity was quickly solved by our maintenance staff who are always willing to help. Some things are unfortunately out of our control, although we strive to keep everything in order and working properly at all times.

I'm glad you liked our waffles ! You must understand that having an exclusive product with high demand always makes the price go up.

I have travelled a lot to some of the best hotels in the US and Europe, and I don't remember having free transfer from JFK to the hotel in NY, or from Malpensa to my hotel in Milan. In fact, these services are not even coordinated by the hotel (like L'Auberge does), and I have to do that myself.
And I remember they are expensive too !

I have already spoken to our waitresess about service in the garden. Of course this should be permanent as we always try to do it, and its an important aspect.

I am glad you enjoyed our beach service.
Again, I don't recall the hotel providing me with any of these in other cities.
In most of the cases, I have to pay usd 25 daily for this service... which at L'Auberge is free.

I believe travelling involves adapting and enjoying, and I am confidente that L'Auberge offers one of the best travel experiences.
I hope you can visit us again and I am sure you will like it.

Kind regards,

Reno, Nevada
Reviewed February 21, 2013

The staff at this hotel goes above and beyond to make guests feel happy and welcomed. The food is fantastic, the service excellent, and everything else is just plain awesome. I highly recommend this hotel if you plan to visit Punta del Este. The hotel seemed like it was family owned and run, and they truly seemed happy as they see their guests happy. Cheers!

P.S. They serve the best waffles in the world!!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
16 Thank MHUBB90888
LAuberge, Owner at Hotel L'Auberge, responded to this review, February 23, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind words about L'Auberge in TripAdvisor !

I am very glad to see you enjoyed every aspect of our hotel and service during your stay.

As you very well put it, nothing makes us happier than seeing our guests happy, so cheers to you too and we hope you can come back soon !

Best,

Intercourse, Pennsylvania
Reviewed February 19, 2013 via mobile

I had a wonderful time at this hotel, which more then deserves to be number one on this site. Beautiful campus, interiors, charming staff. They even had a bottle of champagne surprise in our room on my friends birthday, which was a great, personalized touch.

• Stayed February 2013
17 Thank ryskalchick
LAuberge, Owner at Hotel L'Auberge, responded to this review, February 23, 2013
Dear Mr. Ryskalchick,

Thank you for your TripAdvisor review about L'Auberge.

We are very happy to know you enjoyed your stay and that you liked our restaurants and overall service.
We hope you can come back soon to enjoy more of Punta del Este and of course, more of L'Auberge.

Best regards !

Montreal, Canada
Reviewed February 4, 2013

L'Auberge is a charming hotel far from the city center of Punta del Este. The location is perfect, very calm and peaceful. The hotel and its environs are very beautiful. There is a swimming pool, fitness center, restaurant, tea house, garden, etc. But the room we stayed was very small and the bed wasn't confortable. The breakfast is amazing!
But for the price we paid for the night we expected much more of it.
I TOTALLY recommend going there after 17:00 to eat the belgium waflle at the tea house, delicious.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Eduardo A
Dear Eduardo,

Thank you for writing about L'Auberge in TripAdvisor.

We are glad you liked our hotel !
Unfortunately, you are right about the size of our rooms in the tower.
These were not originally there, as this tower is part of the history of the neighborhood and Punta itself. It used to serve as a water tower to supply water to the rest of the houses around.
Years later, when running water came, we decided to give the tower better use, and built the rooms inside, which of course, are not as spacefull as we would have liked.

Nevertheless, they have all the decor and comfort details they can get, and many (many!) usual guests at the hotel only like to stay in the rooms inside the tower.

We are also currently in the process of improving the comfort of the beds, so thank you also for pointing that out.

I hope you can come back and I am sure you will thoroughly enjoy the comfort and space of our larger rooms, in the newer areas.

Best regards,

Albuquerque, NM
Reviewed January 5, 2013 via mobile

As it has been stated many times, this hotel is amazing. I almost hated to leave each morning to go to the beach. If you're looking to relax in a peaceful, beautiful environment, then this hotel is for you.
Our daily agenda consisted of waking up at 9, taking breakfast in the solarium which includes made-to-order eggs, walking to the beach with a picnic, then returning in the afternoon for a quick swim. Dinner begins at 9:00.
The rooms are a great value, however dinner and tea is a bit pricey. English is somewhat spoken by the staff and it seemed that all Americans in Punta were staying at this hotel. A car is recommended for the area as the main action is about a half hours or more walk away. There is plenty of parking at the hotel.

• Stayed December 2012
17 Thank meghanmoo
Dear meghanmoo,

Thank you for reviewing L'Auberge in TripAdvisor.

We are glad you enjoyed your stay and found some time to relax.

Thank you for your recommendations and we look forward to welcoming you again soon !

Best regards,

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 29, 2012

We arrived at the Auberge in the middle of the afternoon, a few days before Christmas and we were greeted by warm smiles, the scent of pines and the sound of birdsong! I thought I had stumbled on a little corner of paradise! Having spent a stressful fortnight prior to our arrival, it was as though I was being welcomed to a spa with a restorative and relaxing tonic for good measure! Our hotel room was breathtakingly beautiful; comfortable and spacious but with a quiet charm reminiscent of days gone by. The attention to detail was evident in the tasteful decoration, the soft white bath towels, the scenes of Christmas and the way we were looked after by the staff and the owners of this oasis of wellbeing! The food was simply delicious and already I am planning a fitness regime for the New Year of 2013 to counterbalance the indulgences - namely the Waffles at tea time, the croissants at breakfast, the sumptuous barbecue at lunchtime and the intoxicating delicacies that captivated us after sundown on the dining room terraces. The gardens were inviting at any time of day and were resplendent with the colours of exotic flowers and shrubs and a swimming pool to cool down in during the heat of the day. If exercise was a priority, then the gym at the top of the tower could provide a great work-out as well as giving a panoramic view of Punta del Este and its magnificent coastline. We were happily provided with beach umbrellas and chairs when we wanted to go to the sandy beach which was only a five minute walk away.If you wanted to enjoy the faster pace of Punta del Este or the night life of La Barra - you were within striking distance of either.However, once you had entered the front door of this enchanting hotel, you just did not want to step out of it again!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
15 Thank Katherine276
Dear Katherine,

Thank you, and thank you again for such a nice TripAdvisor review about L'Auberge !

We feel honored by your words that reflect all the dedication and hard work everyone puts into our little L'Auberge.
Thank you for coming, for enjoying and for appreciating every little detail.
You make us want to work even harder to impress you more in your next stays.

It will always be a real pleasure having you and your family staying with us.

Please come back soon !