“Beautifull Hotel!!!”

Ranked #3 of 65 Hotels in Punta del Este
Miami, Florida
“Beautifull Hotel!!!”
Reviewed November 4, 2012

This is one of the most beautifull hotels that we have ever stayed at. It is located a few blocks from the beach in a safe and peacefull residential area of punta. The hotel and rooms are decorated in a colonial french style. Rooms are large and each one is different. The staff is very friendly and helpfull. Don't miss breakfast and there famous waffles. This hotel is an excellent choice is you are staying in Punta del Este!!!

Room Tip: try to get a tower room
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
9 Thank james h
LAuberge, Owner at Hotel L'Auberge, responded to this review, November 25, 2012
Dear James,

Thank you for your TripAdvisor review about L'Auberge !

We are delighted to know that we are top ranked in your personal hotel list.

We have been taking care of L'Auberge for over 40 years and we are very proud to offer an excellent hotel experience. Thank you for staying with us and we do hope to see you again soon.

Best regards,

Owner

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed October 19, 2012

My family and I, we go to Punta from ever, this is my favorite hotel now and always . It is superb .The place is quiet and very chic all the ambiance . Very wooden English style . The food served at the restaurant is GREAT, lunch, supper, and the breakfast . But TEA TIME is AWESOME ! . A place to stay surround by pines and gardens but close to the sea and town .. just 5 minutes . Great place Highly Recommended ! Dont miss it if you can go !!! You'll LOVE IT !

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
10 Thank ClaudiaSab
LAuberge, Owner at Hotel L'Auberge, responded to this review, November 25, 2012
Dear Claudia,

Thank you for your nice words about L'Auberge !

We value your possitive feedback and we are very happy to know that you appreciate all the hard work and dedication our staff puts into keeping L'Auberge as nice as it is.

We look forward to welcoming you again very soon !

Kind regards,

Sao Paulo, SP
Reviewed September 23, 2012

Rooms: very comfortable. carefully decorated and very clean. The rooms in the tower are smaller, but cozy. The bed is soft and large and the hotel won't save on pillows.

Location: the hotel is not centrally located and you'll need a car to do everything. But, they have bikes you can borrow and ride along or on the beach.

Activities: eat, sleep, relax. There is a large and nice lawn between the rooms and the swimming pool that although small, is nice.

Service: excellent. Uruguayans are educated and polite on average and the hotel staff is no different. Not a thing to complain about their sympathy and will to serve you their best.

Restaurant: very good, but I was in a business conference, so, I don't really know how it is on a regular situation. Breakfast, just ok, but again, can't really judge it.

Wifi is free and works pretty well in most parts of the hotel, including inside the rooms.

Room Tip: Rooms in the tower have nice views (top floors), but are small.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
13 Thank rmcolin
LAuberge, Owner at Hotel L'Auberge, responded to this review, September 26, 2012
Dear guest,

Thank you for your TripAdvisor review about L'Auberge.

We are glad you enjoyed your time with us during your business trip.

We hope you can visit us again soon, with nicer weather, so you can enjoy even more.

Best regards from all of us at L'Auberge !

Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed August 11, 2012

I have stayed at L’Auberge in winter and in summer season, and in both cases I have entirely enjoyed it. In summer, its beautiful well-kept garden invites you to rest for hours and enjoy the peaceful surrounding, and later, having lunch in their Barbecue is almost a “must-do”. Outstanding steak house and great variety of salads.
My room was elegant and had a special air - different from any hotel I have been to. I would like to especially point out the friendly environment and the attentiveness of everyone in the hotel. It is definitely a wonderful hotel to recommend and I look forward in repeating my visit in the future.

Room Tip: If you like sea and forest view: go for a Tower Rooms, although they are smaller (because of the Tow...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
9 Thank Carolyn_travel_12
Dear Carolyn,

Thank you for your nice review about L'Auberge !

It is always a pleasure to have you here, and we love to see how you enjoy your days with us.

We hope you can visit us again soon, hopefully during summer ?

All the best and enjoy Raleigh !

Ignacio.
Orange County, CA
Reviewed August 11, 2012

One evening in early June, 2012, we landed in Montevideo around 9:00 pm and got a rental car. The rental car agent said: just exit the airport and turn left -- then follow the signs to Punta del Este. It was that easy and about 70 miles. Once in town, turn left at the big casino hotel, right at the roundabout and left at the beach. Go to bus stop 20 (blue signs in the middle of the road) and hang a left. Then follow the "Avenida del Agua" on the roundabout two blocks to the magnificent water tower (print yourself out a Google map before heading there -- it is easy once you see it on the map). Total time for the drive -- about an hour and 40 minutes, completely safe on interstate-highway-like roads (no potholes or tractors) through a very green, pretty countryside.

We got to the hotel late, after the kitchen was closed. The first thing they said at the front desk was: "We knew from your flight that you would be arriving late and that you'd probably be hungry, so we asked our cook to stay late and keep the kitchen open so you could have a late dinner." The cook, Valeria, (whose English was very good), came out and offered to make anything we wanted -- and included a selection of breads, pate', home-made jams -- and everything made that day. It felt like we had arrived at a fancy home with a personal chef.

They upgraded us to two suites with very comfortable beds, huge bedrooms, bathrooms you'd only see in the nicest homes, balconies with chairs and tables, etc. The rooms were in no way old or musty. They were decorated with gorgeous antiques -- and everything looked both renovated and new or at least very, very well kept, charming french countryside paint schemes and furniture, etc.

The internet, surprisingly, was good enough to Skype and do conference calls and get my usual office work done (and if you want mobile internet, "Claro" downtown sells a USB stick for $50 U.S. that includes 5 days of unlimited internet in Uruguay). TV was great, etc. They have about 150 DVD's downstairs that they are happy to lend out. And plenty of places to plug-in and charge your stuff without the need for plug converters.

In the morning and afternoon, breakfast and lunch are just as attentive and delicious. The staff remembers what you ordered before, how you had your coffee, what juice or bread or marmelade you liked, and makes sure they have it ready and on hand with no prompting. Yvonne, Valeria and Laura were all super-attentive -- they even gave us the recipe for one of their desserts, explaining what chocolate to buy and how to make it. What hotel does this? L'Auberge does.

The second night, Valeria was waiting at dinner and apologized that she hadn't had fresh croissants for me the prior night -- and had fresh dough standing by so that I'd not only have croissants, but I'd have them right out of the oven. What hotel does this? L'Auberge does.

Someone in another review mentioned that the keys were a bit noisy and antiquated. While that may be true, here's what I never heard: "Housekeeping: May I clean your room?" No one, never, ever, knocked on my door or woke me up for any reason, including phone calls, room service, laundry, etc. However, every time I left my room, no matter how short the duration, somehow every time I returned, my bed was made or turned-down, my laundry was done (same day) and looked like it had been just purchased at the store, fresh towels were folded and in the bathroom, someone had tidied up everywhere (including stuff like my toothbrush, etc). They even drew the drapes in the evenings (including blackout curtains) -- I didn't even have to think about those things. And this wasn't just once per day. This is every single time I left my room. In fact, I only saw the housekeeping staff one time -- and that was as they were transiting from room to room. Until then, I wasn't even sure if it hadn't been done by magic. The one time we had an issue with a lamp in one of the rooms, it was immediately replaced with another working lamp -- again, invisibly to us when we were out visiting other parts of town. What hotel does this? L'Auberge does.

On the subject of the towels, a friend said it well. The first morning after arriving, at breakfast, the first thing he said was, "I have never coveted a towel until today." The towels may as well be huge, thick blankets.

I also never heard, "Oh, you didn't get up at 8 am for breakfast? Then sorry, you'll have to wait for lunch." Breakfast is open until midday. And if you somehow sleep in after that (which I did, twice), they are happy to still make you a custom breakfast with whatever you want, whenever you want. Same for lunch or dinner. Want something from one of the other menus -- or yesterday's "special" salad with the melted Gruyere cheese? No problem. They'll custom make it. What hotel does this? L'Auberge does.

So yes, this hotel may be pricier than the cheap one in the middle of the peninsula. Of course it is. But if you basically want a silent butler, what amounts to a personal set of cooks, completely uninterrupted sleep and rest, and a staff that anticipates your every need (even needs you didn't know you had): look no further. You will be well-rested and half the time you'll simply hang around the hotel because it really is that nice -- and as pretty as described. Yes, this place is a little out of the way and isn't "on the beach" (almost no hotels in the area are on the beach, in fact). If you want beach front or night life, this may not be the place for you. But if you're looking for a relaxing retreat, this is the place.

My advice is to get a car -- it is hard to get lost in the area (and enough people speak enough English so that you can get around without knowing much Spanish) -- and use it to tour around (a week including full coverage insurance was about $400 U.S. for a simple four-door with a trunk). Even in the winter, there are enough things to see to occupy several days. The driving is calm compared to most South American countries. High season -- summer is very busy in the town, though, so expect more traffic, pedestrians, etc.

It was such a nice first visit that my wife wanted to go as well. Hence, she and I just spent the last week in Punta del Este, staying at L'Auberge again. it was no surprise that the staff remembered me, greeted me by name, remembered all of my food choices, and I got the very same level of service everywhere. My wife fell in love the place and despite the 7,000 miles of flights, wants to put it into a regular rotation. The hotel manager even showed us around the entire property -- including some brand new suites they had just finished decorating and renovating. (By the way, it was all I could do not to try and steal one of the towels).

We spent the last two days of the trip in downtown Buenos Aires (with a subway strike and corresponding traffic, money that you can't change back into dollars, traffic and noise, a cab driver that did a drug deal in front of us) -- and at every meal my wife would say, "next time, we won't even bother with Buenos Aires -- it isn't as restful here." Not that Buenos Aires was bad -- we enjoyed ourselves. But it wasn't a restful or calm. It couldn't be. It wasn't L'Auberge.

Okay: I know, I've raved about the hotel and you might think I work there or got a discount. Nothing could be further from the truth. I paid "full boat" and expect to next time. And one should expect to pay a little more for a luxury boutique hotel like this. I'm simply this impressed and thought it would be worth sharing.

Room Tip: Water tower rooms are smaller simply because the water tower itself isn't that big in diameter...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
12 Thank Bob S
Dear Bob,

WOW !!!

I feel so honored by your review I don't even know what to say !

It's been a pleasure meeting you, and showing you around our dear L'Auberge.
We are thrilled about your comments because you resume with perfection everything we work for each and every day.

We look forward to your next stay, hopefully during summer season, so you can enjoy our nice garden and pool.

Again, thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review about us.

Best regards from all of us at L'Auberge !

Reviewed August 9, 2012

Nice, every way can ask!
You will enjoy every moment, if what you want is to rest, relax and spend a nice time in Punta del Este...!
Breakfast and tea time are "Highs" you can't miss!
The view at the top of the Tower is breathtaking, you can stay up there for hours!

• Stayed June 2012
9 Thank elbichoroure
Dear guest,

Thank you for your TripAdvisor review about L'Auberge.

We are happy to know you enjoyed your time with us.

Everyone at L'Auberge works hard to take care of every detail, so we are glad you could appreciate it.

We look forward to welcoming you again soon !

Best regards,

Brasília, Distrito Federal, Brazil
Reviewed June 29, 2012

Perfect stay in Punta del Este. The Hotel is unique with its tower and charming rooms and gardens. The deck is very modern and would be great in summer. The room was fantastic and very very comfortable. The breakfast and tea was delicious and all handmade... it's fantastic, isn't it? The hotel has a great location in Punta Del Este, it isn't far from the center. The tower is beautiful and the whole hotel is comfortable and cozy. The staff is very kind and special. I truly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
9 Thank Victor N
LAuberge, Owner at Hotel L'Auberge, responded to this review, July 17, 2012
Dear Victor,

Thank you for your very nice review about L'Auberge !

We are proud to offer great accommodation and services in Punta del Este, but most of all we are very happy to know that you appreciate it.

We look forward to your next stay at L'Auberge, hopefully during the summer ?

Best regards !