“Great Food and Service”

Calexico - California Mexico Fusion
Cuisines: Mexican, Southwestern, Latin, Pub
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: Our restaurant is closed until new location is available. Sorry for the inconvenience. Cheers!
Bangkok, Thailand
“Great Food and Service”
Reviewed May 15, 2013

I am a big fan of Mexican food and was very pleased with the cosy ambience in the restaurant and the excellent service. I had ( as normal) many special wishes for my order and the owner who was actually serving us was friendly and helpful. When the food arrived the quality and portions were well above standard. I will definably be going here again.

• Visited June 2012

Redondo Beach, California
“Number 3, how?!? No way...”
Reviewed May 11, 2013 via mobile

No idea how this restaurant is highly ranked for Punta del Este competitive foodie arena. Really? Mexican food? Its not very good, how can it be in a country where taco means the sole of your shoe and not a corn or flour anything.
The ambiance is cozy and the service was good, but take a pass and have some real Mexican food once you get to a more appropriate place. Sorry...

Visited December 2012
1 Thank goodlife123
Moises C, Owner at Calexico - California Mexico Fusion, responded to this review, May 12, 2013
Thank you for submitting your review. As always we welcome all critiques whether good or less than favorable. That said, I am a bit surprised our guest found our food comparable to a shoe sole. Hmmm.... All I can say about that is I am deeply sorry that your food during your visit with us was not to your liking. As an owner operator, I strongly recommend that when one visits an establishment and the food ordered is not to par, or better, that they make it known so that the problem may be corrected. I do, and 9 out of 10 times things are taken care of. Again, I am very surprised at this guest's reply. We obviously cannot please everyone and every person will have their own interpretation of what great mexican food is. On that note, if you read previous reviews from our guests you will find very different opinions. Come try us out and you decide for yourself! Saludos!
Glendale, California
“Great California style Mexican food!”
Reviewed April 12, 2013 via mobile

Being from and living in southern California, we know good Mexican food. Having eaten Brazilian and Argentine food for 10 days, when we arrived in Punta we were in the mood for something different. In Uruguay there are no ingredients to prepare authentic Mexican food so the restaurant actually makes there own tortillas and other needed items. The homemade chips and salsa are amazing! We had a shrimp dish with spicy Sauce that was excellent. It's a cute comfortable space close to the beach and the owner Moises made us feel welcome and provided a lot of local information. Since we visit Punta regularly we will definitely make Calexico one of our regular stops.

Visited April 2013
Boston, Massachusetts, United States
“I have no idea how this restaurant is ranked #3 in punta del este”
Reviewed March 31, 2013 via mobile

I really have a hard time understanding how and why this restaurant is ranked so high on trip advisor. The atmosphere and service were great, but the food was definitely subpar for the price we paid. The chips and salsa were just average and the enchiladas I got were quite disappointing -- small portions, lukewarm food, and bland taste. We also got the platters which were not big enough for sharing-- and overpriced for the size. I enjoyed the margaritas which were fresh, but that was about it. Unless you can't survive without eating some Mexican food, I would recommend going to other restaurants in punta del este which offer better value for the price you pay.

1 Thank michellesyc
Moises C, Owner at Calexico - California Mexico Fusion, responded to this review, April 8, 2013
First and foremost, thank you for visiting with us during your stay in Punta del Este. As I have mentioned in previous posts, we aim to please everyone but we obviously don't always succeed. Fortunately most of our guests have had incredible experiences during their visits with us and that is why we are ranked as we are in tripadvisor. As you mention in your review, we managed to provide you with great atmosphere and service. This I am very happy with. As far as our food goes, I would like to believe that our food is priced adequately for the region and quality. Our food is made fresh daily and our tortillas are made from scratch as well as our chips and salsa. What many of our guests don't always realize is that Uruguay does not have mexican food ingredients that you would normally find in other parts of the world such as the US. Corn tortillas do not exist in Uruguay unless you dine with us. We make our corn tortillas using the nixtamalization process which is an ancient method and it's the only way to have tortillas in Uy. As far as our portions go, I think they are are large enough for any person of normal cosumption. In fact, many times I hear that our dish portions are quite large. Contrary to our guest's comment , our platters could easily be shared by 2 to 4 people. They contain two quesadillas, two empanadas, a mound of nachos, and 4 flautas. Mind you, these are appetizer platters and are meant to be served as appetizers. Again, I apologize if you felt our food was not enough, or bland but most our guests are usually happy with the quality and amount of food they get. Thanks again for your patronage. Saludos!
Oceanside, California
“Eat here!”
Reviewed March 23, 2013

Just got back from a South American vacation that ended with a few days in Punta Del Este. Found this restaurant on Trip Advisor after craving some good home cooking (CaliMex), and decided to give it a try. The restaurant itself was very nice with a great dining atmosphere. The food turned out to be great and just what I had been craving so badly. Why they don't have Mexican food anywhere in South America is beyond me!

Anyways, I wound up eating there again a second night and enjoyed that experience just as well. Just as good as the food was the service. The owner made sure to check up on us and spend time making sure everything was up to par. It's very noticeable when a restaurant owner takes pride in his business and this is the case with Calexico! Eat here!

• Visited March 2013