“Great food. Great Service. Comes at a Price.”

Calexico - California Mexico Fusion
Cuisines: Southwestern, Mexican
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Our restaurant is closed until new location is available. Sorry for the inconvenience. Cheers!
Calgary, AB
“Great food. Great Service. Comes at a Price.”
Reviewed March 19, 2013

After a million Bif Lomo / Ojo meals we decided it was time for something a little different to eat in Punta and found Calexico via TripAdvisor.

Bottom line - the food was excellent. The attention to detail is impeccable as we we told that Mexican foodstuffs are not readily available in Uruguay, so they make much of it themselves, like the Tortilla Chips, made from ground corn they grind themselves. I had to have a second order of these, these were absolutely like nothing I've had before. Bottom line, this was fresh tasty food that was authentic. If you are used to Taco Bell or other "Americanized" food you will probably find this strange and perhaps not to your liking.

Service was excellent, mainly because the owner does come around and chat with you and is super nice. Any concerns or questions are best routed through him as his english is perfect (he is an expat) but his staff may not speak english. Taxis can be called for you afterwards by the staff.

A bit of a warning. This is quality food and it does come at a price. Most north americans equate Mexican food with dirt cheap prices for ridiculous quantities of food. This is not the case here. Dinner for two with starters and a beer or two each came to ~$90. Portions are adequate, not jumbo like in the states so don't be expecting that. At the time I went the 22% IVA was being refunded via a government promotion (as with all restaurants in Uruguay) making this a more appetizing $68 meal. About par for PDE dining, but noticably more than the rest of Uruguay / Argentina. It's worth noting that the annoying usual cuberto charge of 50-100 pesos per person is not charged here.

Bottom line - think of this as fine dining and you'll have a great experience, which is what we had there. Would totally return there again.

Albany, New York
“A change of pace in Punta”
Reviewed March 14, 2013

We've been to this restaurant on 3 different trips to Punta del Este since they opened and think they just keep getting better each time. The attention to detail in both the cozy decor and the food is the key to their success. The chef makes his own tortilla chips and they are out of this world.They come with a variety of tiny dishes containing tasty sauces, beans & guacamole. I had the combination platter with rice, beans, enchilada & soft taco and enjoyed the (very) subtle flavor of something like cinnamon in one of the foods on my plate -I never did discover which one! Definitely not your average Mexican restaurant-I would probably have given them an excellent if there had been a little more variety to the menu, but that's because I was looking for something along the lines of a fish taco (they did have a shrimp dish, though, and appear to be adding things each time I come, so there is hope for the fish taco!).The portions were appropriate and attractive on the plate - not the usual overflowing mess of refried beans and mushy flour tortillas swamped in red sauce you find in other mexican restaurants!!!
The husband & wife owners both speak english are wonderful to talk to if you happen in when the place isn't busy -she is from California and he from Mexico. For something other than asado, give this little place a try!

Pasadena, California
“Good Mexican menu a long way South of Mexico!”
Reviewed February 23, 2013

We went to Calexico due to the favorable reviews in Tripadvisor. Compared to California and New Mexico (my home territory) the prices were a bit high. Compared to other places in Punta del Este, they are very reasonable. We enjoyed the break from Uruguayan cuisine (very good!!) and ate at Calexico three times. We chatted with the chef and the host pleasantly as we arrived at odd hours for Uruguayan dining. Both were helpful and solicitous of our input. I had a good margarita. My daughter and wife, both celiacs, found plenty to eat.

1 Thank Waldorf2012
Punta del Este, Uruguay
“Not too happy !”
Reviewed February 17, 2013

The atmosphere and service were very good. But I did get upset at the fact that we were told that the platters were a price and when we got the bill, some of the platters were another price. As well, my credit card was billed in US dollars instead of pesos, as the menu list indicates. When I checked the exchange rate at home I realized we had gotten ripped off. I was with some new business associates so I wouldnt have said anything at the time. I will just not go back.

• Visited January 2013
Moises C, Owner at Calexico - California Mexico Fusion, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
Thank you for visiting with us at Calexico. I am glad you found our food, atmosphere and service very good. I am always glad to hear these comments. That being said, I am sad to read that you felt like you were cheated on your check. By the way, the only platters we serve on our menu are the Calexico platter and the Punta-Mexico Platter and they are both 550 uruguayan pesos. If you requested a different kind of platter than more than likely it had a different platter. I am not certain what happened there, but I can assure you that I will look into that. ( If possible, please provide me with the day and check number via message) . As far as the credit card situation goes, I am sad to report that due to banking restrictions because of my non-resident status I unable to set-up my bank account in any other type of currency until my final residency is granted. This is their ( banking and government ) policy and not ours. Believe me, it does me no good not to accept pesos in fact, I'm sure it hurts my business at times. However, I do accept other currencies but only in cash at the moment. We take Uruguayan Pesos, Brazilian Reais, and Argentine Pesos. Again, thank you for visiting with us and sorry to inconvenience you and your guests. Best wishes!!
Scottsdale, Arizona
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Good”
Reviewed February 16, 2013

I had the same issue as the reviewer above - my beans were cold. This is unusual, since beans are typically piping hot. Nothing i could do at the time, because i can't speak Spanish and the owner wasn't around (not their fault, my fault, since i'm in their country). Also, i was not a fan of the margarita. Really tart, almost a burnt taste.

But, i enjoyed the fajitas. When the waitress brought them, i was worried because they had a sauce on them already (i prefer my fajitas naked, then add hot sauce and avocado or gua

1 Thank jason12_13