Sheba Hotel
All reviewswalking distancenice hotelold citystar hotelbusinessfurniture
Reviewed September 28, 2012

I was on my first visit to Yemen and as you can well imagine given the socio-political situation Yemen, went with the hotel recommended by our local business associate. It is an old hotel (used to be managed by the luxury Taj group until some years back) and the age shows in the rooms and the bathrooms. The food was nice in the hotel and you get a fragile sense of security, probably the best that you can expect in the country. I also sampled the awesome Yemeni hospitality and food outside in restaurants which only locals would know served great food. There were great shrimps cooked in an earthen pot and tender lamb slow cooked in fire that was falling off the bone. The famed Yemeni honey was great in the interesting dessert called oosh-oosh. Interesting place that has fallen on unfortunate times.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank wanderlust_partha
Reviewed June 15, 2012

I stayed at Sheba hotel for 10 days for a business trip. The room was quite comfortable with a very clean bathroom, with basic toiletries. The room has a fairly big safe where you can put your laptop. I had checked out their website and saw pictures of rooms with flat-screen TVs. That was not the case in my room (5th floor), but it seems that rooms on the 2nd floor were indeed a bit bigger and more up to date.

The internet connection was not ideal. Most of the time it was ok to send emails but using skype was asking for too much. Also internet connection is quite expensive (but that's just the case across the country).

The restaurant was decent. They have an Indian cook so it was a good opportunity to catch up on your curries. The breakfast buffet was also very correct with different types of breads, fruits and eggs prepared on demand.

another plus side of the hotel is that is it located just a few minutes from the magnificent Old City of Sana'a.

One advice though: make sure to bring some cash with you. The hotel only accepts Visa cards and the connection is not ideal. I ended up not being able to pay my bill because the card did not go through. Slightly embarrassing... but apparently it happens often so my office covered the price and I reimbursed them.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Mitradventures
Reviewed May 16, 2012

I visited Sanaa for what was initially supposed to be a brief 5 day business trip in September 2011 but ended up being a two and a half week sojourn as a result of the unstable security situation causing numerous flight cancellations and airport shut-downs.
All of this uncertainty was made palatable because of the family-like atmosphere and service I received at the Sheba Hotel.
I cannot thank the attentive and industrious staff at this hotel enough for making me feel relatively safe and secure during what could otherwise have been a stressful and trying period of uncertainty.
The Hotel provides reliable internet (wireless) access in the rooms as well as a fully equipped Business Centre.
Cable television provided sufficient variety to keep one sane during long periods of confinement to the hotel premises as a consequence of the unstable political situation.
The restaurant service was also very good...especially the breakfast which supplied an interesting choice of delicious ethnic(the Foul mesdames was especially tasty) and continental offerings.

I was even impressed with the small gym facilities that offered sufficient variety to provide a descent work-out.

All in all...I was very impressed by what was offered especially given the difficult circumstances that existed at the time.

If I ever return to Yemen...the Sheba Hotel will be my home away from home.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank RogerHolford
Reviewed July 10, 2011

I stayed at the Sheba hotel with 3 of my friends a month ago and found it good. The location is good with everything in walking distance from it. The rooms where we stayed in were clean and comfortable with necessary amenities. Nothing was fanciful here but everything was fine. The breakfast was good with variety in it and the staffs were friendly. The services were also good. Internet and wifi facilities were available but quite expensive. But the accommodation was quite reasonably priced. We were not much worried about the pricey internet as we hardly used it.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends
3  Thank Mayzarek_sev3n
Reviewed March 9, 2011

The style of the hotel is such that one would not necessarily know one was in Sana'a, i.e. the international 'could be anywhere' style. Nevertheless, it proved a perfectly satisfactory place to stay just 10-15 minutes walk from the old historic centre. The breakfast buffet was pretty good - plenty of fresh fruit, omelettes cooked to order, etc. We had a light meal in the restaurant which was ok but not more. The hotel does not serve alcohol. The TV in the room had a good range of international channels in EN, DE, FR, IT plus lots of AR language channels. The staff were very helpful and friendly. The gift shop has a good selection of books on Yemen. Wi-fi is available for a rather hefty fee of $3 per hour; the hourly rate declines the longer the period.

• Stayed: March 2011