“Disappointing”

Azzurro
Reserve a Table
Ranked #67 of 2,657 Restaurants in Abu Dhabi
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Welcome to Azzurro! The premier authentic Italian restaurant in Abu Dhabi. Azzurro is fine dining with fantastic surroundings and the very best chefs and staff.
Reviewed January 23, 2019 via mobile

I already wrote a comment on this restaurant but for whatever reason has not been published.
Anyway I am really surprised to read all the good comments by other Italians, this is definitively no Italian at all, like 99 per cent of Italian restaurants abroad.
I reserved outside and the waiter let me sit inside, ok can happen, I didn’t insist.
Pizza was ok, not bad.
I ordered carbonara, which is a very simple recipe as long as you use the right ingredients. It was full of cream (panna) instead of eggs. I fully understand that beacon should be from beef, but eggs are allowed to.
I don’t like to complain on socials, I would have highlighted at the restaurant, only if someone would have asked me how is the food.
I should have followed the usual rule of not eating Italian outside Italy, but good comments confused me.

Date of visit: January 2019
horizonmanagement, Manager at Azzurro, responded to this reviewResponded January 23, 2019

Reviewed January 3, 2019

Stayed up the road at the Fairmont so it was an easy stroll, managed the get a table overlooking the water which was very nice. Good choice of food well cooked and good value compared to other dining options we encountered whilst in the area. Although they didn’t have my favourite dish it was a very agreeable night – staff excellent.

Date of visit: December 2018
horizonmanagement, Manager at Azzurro, responded to this reviewResponded January 5, 2019

Hello,

Thank you for the wonderful review, we really appreciate your feedback.
We are pleased to hear that you had such a pleasant experience and had enjoyed the food and the service.

We hope to see you back again soon.

Thank you.

Reviewed January 2, 2019 via mobile

I was at a dinner with my friend and we wanted to eat something traditionally italian. Since I travel a lot to Italy I am familiar with their kitchen. Here is no Italian cousine. Primo is no primo it is secondo because it is too big of a portion. My tomato sauce was too salty.

Service is extremly slow, they did not take away our appetizer during the whole evening (left it on the table, although we were done). No one asked what we would like to drink and our glasses were empty, no one offered dessert.
You can see they don't have interest in what they do.

I also asked on my reservation to sit outside but we got a table inside.. we missed the view.

Date of visit: January 2019
horizonmanagement, Manager at Azzurro, responded to this reviewResponded January 2, 2019

Hello,
Thank you for taking the time to rate and review us. We appreciate your feedback. We apologize for the experience you had and will certainly do what is needed to ensure that does not happen again. We strive to make sure our guests have the best experiences at our restaurants. If you could please send us your details. We would be more than happy to call you to hear more regarding the feedback and to apologize again on behalf of the company.

Reviewed December 13, 2018

Had dinner with here with business friends. Had to fly back to Europe that same night, so had to eat something easy.
Staff is tooooo busy making sure all is well. That is when it becomes too much. We ordered all 3 the same starters, pure coincidence. Staff then wanted to make 3 different starters....why?
I had the chicken lasagna. I am really sorry to say, but I stopped half way. There was no taste. Just no taste at all, so you are putting a sustance in your mouth to fill up. I do not want to do that. Also skipped the dessert.

Date of visit: December 2018
horizonmanagement, Manager at Azzurro, responded to this reviewResponded December 13, 2018

Reviewed December 12, 2018

We visited here three times during our stay at the adjoining Shangri la. Lovely food and lovely staff. Good choice of food, and had different choices on all three visits. Beautifully presented. We will definitely be back during our visit next December.

Date of visit: December 2018
horizonmanagement, Manager at Azzurro, responded to this reviewResponded December 12, 2018

Hello,

Thank you for your wonderful review, we really appreciate your feedback.
we are pleased to hear that you had such a pleasant experience and had enjoyed the food and the service,
We will waiting for your visit!