“Fantastic & friendly service, great views of the Grand Mosque”

Shangri-La Hotel, Qaryat Al Beri, Abu Dhabi
Ranked #11 of 128 Hotels in Abu Dhabi
Reviewed June 15, 2013

This is a very good choice for Abu Dhabi. The service here was some of the best I've had at any hotel anywhere. Without exception, it was incredibly friendly and helpful. When we left, about 8 of the staff we'd dealt with, came out to say goodbye and wish us a good trip.

The location is great. It's a little bit out of the centre of town, but directly across the water from the Grand Mosque. It is great to swim in the infinity pool or lie on the private beach looking across at this magnificent building. (Again, the service here was exceptional. We had one guy come to clean our sunglasses saying it would be the deepest honour to clean them for us).

The breakfast buffet was one of the best we've had. Especially great was the mobile fresh juice and smoothy bar with unique combinations of flavours and ingredients - all of which were delicious.

We booked a Club Room. It was a little more expensive, but we got great value from the free food and alcoholic beverages every night. We ended up saving money on dinner by going each night.

Overall, a lovely hotel in a lovely location. Highly recommended. On our visit, we also stayed at Qasr al Sarab and Jumeirah Towers - both of which were also excellent, but Shangri-La was certainly up there with them in terms of service.

Room Tip: Go for the Club Rooms. Excellent value from the free food and drinks.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,505)

Reviewed June 14, 2013

A Beach resort hotel just off the main island of Abu Dhabi, 15mins from the airport.
The decor creats a comfortable and relaxing enviroment to put you in the mood for a well earned break or longer stay. Perfect beaches and swimming pools and all the first class facilities, you would expect from a 5 star facility.
The warm welcome, the smiling friendly faces really make this a great place to wind down and treat yourself. The management and staff have been excellent. Nothing seems too much trouble . A special thanks to all at the Shangri-La, making my wife's birthday just that extra bit special. Other extra touches just made our stay unforgetable. Looking forward to staying again

Room Tip: Premier Room great value for money
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 14, 2013

If I’ve only learnt one thing in my whole life, it’s this: The world is not a wish-granting factory.

There’s this idea that’s been pushed through our eyeballs by Disney that good things happen while we’re sitting around combing our hair. It’s not like that at all. You will work hard for anything good in this life. I’m not trying to take your dreams away. This is just a reminder of how much we work for our dreams, how tough it can be, how exhausting, how unromantic… and how even when it’s all worth it and things are exactly what you want, this life is still totally hard.

It’s very easy to forget that and believe in the Disney version when you stay at the Shangri-La. The world begins to feel as if it’s designed in tandem with your whims, where things you didn’t even know you wanted appear before you at the precise moment they’re most useful to you and your face continuously lights up while the staff smile knowingly, having seen that expression on a thousand other guests’ faces before you.

The Shangri-La is (by far) the most beautiful hotel I have ever stayed at, and possibly the most beautiful I have ever seen.

The weekend we spent there (about 2 weeks’ ago) started off well (checking in at a 5 star resort is not a bad start) and kept getting better and better. When we arrived, the room we reserved wasn’t ready so we were immediately upgraded to a suite. We had to politely nod through the Receptionist’s tour and wait for her to leave before we could scream and whoop and fist-pump at our luck.

The suite was about the same size as my apartment, with a huuuuuuge bed (you could roll over 50 times and not fall off), massive balcony with two couches and a sea view, an office, walk-in wardrobe/ dressing room, shower room (rainforest and mist settings), a big tub that fit two comfortably and a separate toilet. We kept walking around marvelling as we found new things.

Details I particularly loved: the bathroom was stocked with L’occitane goodies (my favourite), the sound system allowed you to play music in each of the separate rooms (singing in the shower has never been so much fun) and all the doors were on rollers so it was possible to push them all back and lie in the bath with the light from the balcony streaming in. Bliss.

Altogether, there are three pools and a private beach. The best is the infinity pool with stunning views of Sheikh Zayed Grand Mosque. I found it strange that the hotel’s website doesn’t make more of a feature of it because it is so breathtaking. The hotel also has it’s own souk, which can be reached by golf buggy or abra (a traditional Arabic boat) along the hotel’s winding waterway.

I was so impressed that I’m actually booking in again for a couple of nights right before I leave at the end of the month. That might sound pretty extravagant but the hotel’s rates will surprise you. It’s gets very (some might say too) hot in the UAE at this time of year, and hotels adjust their rates accordingly. Trust me, the heat is a lot more bearable when you are greeted at the pool with a complimentary mini cooler filled with bottled water and icy-cold-verbena-scented face cloths. I swear, these people have thought of everything.

For this and more reviews, visit my blog, http://little--t.blogspot.com

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank thelma-littlet
Reviewed June 9, 2013

Having looked long and hard and previously stayed at the neighbouring Fairmont we decided upon the hotel based on the reviews. Driving from Dubai we arranged an early check in and were advised the room would be ready from 11am. We arrived at 13:00 to be told it wasn't ready and waited a further 90mins for the room, not a good start with a 10 month old in tow. We opted for a garden room however, had no view of the pool, only half the hotel has this and unfortunately also no garden, just a 1m square patch of burnt grass, so in hindsight not worth the extra cash. The rooms were very nice, pool excellent aside from the idiots on jet ski's showing off. Pool food was average. We ate in the Chinese which was excellent, personal service from Icy was also fantastic. The second night we tried the Vietnamese which was also very good, both offer good value too. The Spa was expensive but excellent. Free wifi throughout which is rare in this kind of property. Finally when booking they said they would arrange a gift for my wife for her birthday which never arrived. Had it not been offered, then no issue, but they did so another fail! Overall a 5* property which has a lot to improve upon to be truly 5*. I guess that's why its 9th favourite on TA.

Room Tip: Not worth the extra cash for ground floor room (cannot be called garden).
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
ArbindKS, General Manager at Shangri-La Hotel, Qaryat Al Beri, Abu Dhabi, responded to this reviewResponded July 13, 2013

Thank you got2bfunky for taking the time to review us at Trip Advisor.
We are sorry to hear that some aspects of your recent stay at our hotel did not meet your expectations. We always welcome feedback from our valued guests as it allows us the opportunity to undertake the necessary action. Please feel welcome to let us know if someday your travel plan brings you back to Abu Dhabi. We welcome the opportunity to recover your confidence in the hotel's service and facilities.

Reviewed June 8, 2013 via mobile

It's my first time to Shangri-la hotel in AbuDhabi, and the very early positive sign is that the hotel is located only 15 min away from AbuDhabi airport.

The staff are cooperative and always smiling while the lobby was very neat & luxurious.

I had my lunch upon my arrival at the "Souk" which is a shopping mall located 5 min walking distance from the hotel where you can find a variety of restaurants serving BBQs , Indian , lebanese & sushi (which was my choice for lunch).

I enjoyed the excellent view of the corridor upon my way to my room as the corridor is just looking over a canal full of tropical plants.

My room was spacious with a balcony looking over the pool.

At night I enjoyed dinner at one of the very best restaurants in UAE which is "Sofra restaurant" it serves 7 international cuisines food including : Sushi, Chinese , Italian , American, Seafood, Moroccan, Indian in addition to the dessert station.

I enjoyed the dinner at the terrace which is located at the bank of the Gulf and opposite to Sheikh Zayed Mosque.

It worth mentioning that the wireless internet access is free all over the hotel.

It is a real wonderful experience and i'm looking forward to repeat it.

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed June 6, 2013

This hotel is outside Abu Dhabi city centre, around 20 minutes to half and hour. When I usually stay at the hotel I would recommend a room on the ground flower which overlooks the pools. Rooms are very spacious indeed with huge bathrooms....lovely!!!! You will see in the morning there is a variety of things to choose from to suit anyone's palette. The secret of this hotel for me is that even though it is huge the staff and the ambience make it very very cosy and homey. One of my favourite hotel in the world!

Room Tip: Ground floor rooms
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank CATRINANNEHUGHES
Reviewed June 5, 2013

The Shangri-la is an opportunity for all travellers to Abu Dhabi not to be missed. The warmth, and curtesy of all staff is overwhelming. We stayed five days and have nothing but praise for the hotel food, accommodation, ambience, staff and the attention to detail. A truly relaxing holiday with the added bonus of the Mosque views producing an all inclusive holiday befitting of its 5 star status.

Room Tip: Only downside was noisy jet skis on the waters outside hotel pool area and room.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends