“Brilliant Hotel”

Shangri-La Hotel, Qaryat Al Beri, Abu Dhabi
Ranked #9 of 129 Hotels in Abu Dhabi
Reviewed November 25, 2012

The hotel has a beautiful decor throughout. Our room was overlooking one of the swimming pools at the front with the Grand Mosque across the creek. The room size was fine with a lovely large bathroom and good sized balcony too. All the staff were very friendly and helpful. It was my husbands birthday and they really made his day with the staff singing Happy Birthday with a lovely little chocolate cake. They even took a photo and popped it into a frame, put some flowers in the room and decorated the bed with swans made out of towels and flower petals. We ate in all the restaurants apart from Pearls and Caviar and enjoyed each one especially Bord Eau and Hoi An. The breakfast choice was excellent but felt that the hot buffet food wasn't hot enough. We stayed for 7 nights and I feel this was enough, it's definitely not a paradise island. As mentioned in other reviews there is aircraft noise and the jet skis appear in the afternoon and they are annoying. Overall though we had a very enjoyable stay, enjoying some winter sunshine to a place that's convenient for us to travel to.

Room Tip: I don't think I'd personally like the ground floor as I would feel that people can look in...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,575)

Reviewed November 22, 2012

It's starts with the welcome when arriving at the hotel. You feel like every single staff is just here for you. customer-centricity must have been invented by Shangri-La. The lobby is gorgeous, luxury in a arabic style but not flashy. The rooms are large and very clean. I love the L'Occitane toiletries they provide in all the Shangri La Hotels. There is always fresh fruits in the room. The breakfast buffet is a killer, huge and of excellent quality. Don't miss it! There is a huge spa with an excellent gym and a rooftop pool, which is acutally a bit far from the main building (you have to go around the building). Next to the Shangri La is a Soukh with excellent restaurants and some shops.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed November 22, 2012

I stayed in this hotel for 2 nights arrived on 12th November 2012 & checked out 14th Nov 2012. The room rate was 1600AED which in excess of 500 USD per day.I do not know the reason for such high rate. Most of the time I stay in Yas island either in Radission or crown plaza. It is definately better than both of them but price wise it is 3 times.
With such high price , expection also increases but in reality it is like other 4/5 star hotel

It is goos but considering the price I paid it is worthless even that price break fast was not included.!!!

Room Tip: You may get lot many better hotels with that price
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Kalyan kumar M
Reviewed November 21, 2012

A four day break to unwind at this magnificent hotel sent my bank balance into tail spin but was worth it for the relaxation value alone. The premiere room was spacious, beautifully appointed and close to the foyer. The bed was huge and comfortable, the bath deep and wide. The food was by and large of the highest quality, but expensive in the mediteranian and french restaurants. Small details need to be adressed. We waited for a course that never arrived in 'Pearls and Caviar', the promised 'happy hour' in the bar (between 5 and 7pm :?) occured on one occasion when we were told it had been stopped, but never again. The wine's were in the main bog standard supermarket stuff with a few zero's added onto the price. But other than these minor quibbles our stay was without fault. Our free visit to the Sheik Zayeed Mosque was the only time we left the hotel complex in the four days of our stay, but between the beach and the bar and restaurants we kept ourselves occupied at all times. A great relaxing short break in the cradle of luxury!

Room Tip: Spring the extra for a premiere room.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank stuart f
Reviewed November 20, 2012

I was in the "CHI" SPA in SHANGRI-LA for a Moroccan Hmmam, the SPA was great the receptionist and the therapist..in general the service was great..but the Moroccan Hammam was not as in my imagination...too many things are messing to call it as that name...since I know very well how the Moroccan hammam can be as in my cultures we do it weekly..the Moroccan tissue and the Black soap was avalaible in the treatment, but the GHASSOUL (natural herbs) was absent, as to apply the shower gel or the soap at the end, and washing the hair...witch are very important steps to finish a complet Moroccan Hammam.
The next following day I dont feel any good effect in my body after this experience :)

2  Thank Nada M
Reviewed November 19, 2012

Okay, this one is a bit tricky. Jooloos has been treated to Shangri- La hospitality at some of the group's other hotels ( doesn't know she's born) and we have never been disappointed. We stayed for 2 nights on our way back from the desert to Dubai, having left the amazing ( I will now use that word sparingly as I have, at last, experienced amazing) Qasr al Sarab.

Arrived on Friday evening and it was all a bit manic with loads of ex-pats and their excited kids enjoying the weekend and the availability of alcohol. Jet skis, mentioned elsewhere, are a problem and this needs sorting. Beach not really a beach, it's riverside and didn't see anyone using it. Nearby souk is a bit rubbish too. But read- on, it gets better.

Jooloos was treated to a horizon club room (still doesnt know shes born) which was very well appointed with a good view of the sunset ( but not the grand mosque) . We were told that the club was new, and it shows. The service is good but a little stilted and OTT although our room was exceptionally well looked after by a young chap who Jooloos took a shine to. Club terrace should overlook the riverside / mosque but instead they' ve stuck it over the main entrance - mmmmmm? Still, evening drinks service very good, staff friendly, especially chap who served drinks and nibbles which were very welcome and beautifully presented. Overall, though it felt like the staff were still finding their way a little.

Unfair, perhaps but up to now Jooloos was a little under awed . What turned it around then?

Well, a big surprise awaits you at the Shangri-La and if you are not careful, you may miss it. Go here and eat at the Hoi An Vietnamese restaurant. In fact, go here just for the experience of eating at the Hoi An. It's a hotel restaurant but the best of its kind, bar- none, full stop, the end. Terrace lovely, service first class ( but friendly with it), and the dinner is the best thing I have eaten since I can't remember when. Amazing value too, but that's not the point as I would happily have paid anything they asked for. Simply amazing. Followers of Jooloos will know now she's a vegetarian and the choice was as fabulous as the meal itself. I'm not a proper veggie and hence will happily kill fish and I can safely say that the fish dish here cooked with lemongrass and chilli in a banana leaf was out of this world. I would quite honestly fly to Abu dhabi and to the shangri la just to have this dish and then go home happy. We booked the caviar and pearls restaurant for our second night and cancelled to have another dose of Hoi An and I can confirm that I was not dreaming and that it was not a one- off. I'm sure caviar & pearls is good but I'm sorry, I can only eat so many pearls and I would have to eat at Hoi An every night for a year before I got sick of it. What a find.

So then, how do we sum-up? Not the greatest Shangri-La in the world but perhaps that's more about where it is rather than what it is. Doesn't matter, though, you could be made to sleep on the floor and it would be worth it to dine at the Hoi An. A credit to the Group and a true sensation.

2  Thank Jooloosgoesnorth
Reviewed November 19, 2012

My husband and I spent a week at this hotel in October.
We had stayed here once before and were looking forward to it.
Well, it exceeded our expectations! It was even better!!
The staff were so attentive and friendly, the food excellent and now they have introduced
the Horizon Club, where you are given a good room with view, a la carte breakfast,
afternoon tea and drinks and canapes from 1800 to 2000 hrs.
This had only been going for two months but already was proving to be an excellent product.
I have never had a la carte dining for breakfast in a club lounge before only continental breakfast
so this was something new and worth using. The staff in the club lounge were very professional and keen to look after our every need. It was well worth the extra cost for this.
We had room service one night, and not expecting much, ordered a chicken biryani, it was
the best biryani we have ever had! and eating the food on the balcony looking over the water
to the White Mosque was unforgettable.
We will definitely be coming back to this hotel again.

Room Tip: The Club rooms have the best view over the water as they are on higher floors.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple