“Impressive building”
Review of Emirates Palace

Emirates Palace
Ranked #7 of 128 Hotels in Abu Dhabi
Reviewed January 8, 2013

Stayed here to celebrate our sons 21st birthday in January 2013. On arrival we were in awe of the sheer scale of the building which is truly impressive and a perfect example of what money can buy. Check in was good but the service we received from the hotel afterwards was a little hit and miss and we did get the impression it was more about the tip that the need to provide good service. We stayed in the coral suites which were lovely but not as impressive as we had thought and we were a little surprised to find that the sound proofing was not good at all. We woken every night and morning by our neighbours using the loo, shower and bath and by the noise of their tv. It was as though they were in our room. Both pool areas are good but the family area was crowed on our first day and we were disturbed all day by overindulged children who were largely ignored by their parents and struggled to be controlled by distraught nannies. This continued pretty much outside in the corridor as kids ran up and down screaming. Granted this was a busy time of year and the hotel can not control it's clientele but we had not expected it to be noisy. The quieter pool was better and here we received small drink and ice cream which was not distributed in the other pool. We ate at the hakkasan which was lovely but the service was a little quick and didn't give us much time to savour! Butler service available but only if you ask for something specific , when we did they were obliging enough. The prices in the hotel are extortionate so be prepared to spend. We found the hotel lacked character and atmosphere particularly in the evening time when apart from eating your meal, which was quick, there was nothing else to do other than take a coffee at £10 a cup! We found the jumeriah in Etihad towers to be a little more vibrant and more reasonable. A visit to the grand mosque a must see as this is truly wonderful and breathtaking and the golf was also good. Ignore Ferrari world as it really is not worth a visit. Overall glad we stayed here and really loved Abu Dhabi, but would try a different hotel next time.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank rmutty

Reviewed January 5, 2013

I come twice a year in Abu Dhabi only for Emirates Palace which in my opinion is the best in the world. It is really wonderful , is a little place in Paradise, I have no words to describe its beauty. Everything is perfect ; the hotel is very clean, the food excelent, it has a very good fitness club, everybody is very polite. Especially the duty manager, Mr. Hussein Khalil who helped me every time I needed something. He is a very kind and polite person ; when I had a problem he listened me a lot and he answered my request very quickly! EMIRATES PALACE IS THE PLACE I'LL ALWAYS COME BACK !!!

Room Tip: Luxury suites from the east side
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed January 5, 2013

I can tell a lot about this hotel, but I was mostly surprised by the personal service (buttlers knowing your name) and the special attention for my 4 yo daughter.

She had her own bathrobe (perfectly fitting), slippers, and present bag with a (kinda) local barbie doll, a t-shirt, little bear, .... She was sooo delighted.

For me personally, the hotel is too glamourous, too much gold, too big, and a bit too cold (interior). But I guess most people love this.
But the service, the pools, the restaurant, the views, .... were absolutely worth it.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Bellaatje1972
Reviewed January 1, 2013

My wife and I made reservations for January 1st to experience for the first time the very popular "high tea" in Emirates Palace Hotel. We did this with the intent of making our January 1st more memorable. We share our impressions here.

Reservations were made about 4 days in advance and for this day (January 1st), it proved to be absolutely necessary to allow us quick entry into the Emirates Palace grounds. Once inside the Palace, we wandered to Le Cafe with time to spare. Once at the Cafe, we were immediately attended to and pleasantly seated in a delightful and elegant setting that consisted of two chairs enveloping a small round but adequate table - each chair high winged on one side to provide a sense of intimacy in an otherwise rather open space. Our setting also included a site line to the sea framed by an enormous french gothic window.

Our "high tea" commenced well enough with the selection of a tea from an impressive list of specialty teas .. then was followed by a small but adequate choice of fine savory tarts. The choice of savory tarts, scones and pastries .. were each presented on a plate. Each plate in turn was attractively tiered one above the other. Each of the choices was equally well crafted and fine in taste. I could go on with more details but probably more important may be our overall impression of the occassion.

While presentation and ambience were excellent, we both came away with a sense of disappointment too. With Emirates Palace billing itself as 7 star and flaunting itself as host to some of the finest chefs to be found anywhere, my wife concluded that the overall taste was unremarkable .. not memorable ... while I was left to comment on how it all seemed so "safe". Perhaps chefs have learned to tread carefully in recreating this English tradition .. yet we yearned for something more "fresh", and creative to make the whole experience more memorable.

In fairness to Emirates Palace, we were asked for our opinions and we respectfully shared them. Our responses seemed sincerely and positively welcomed.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 1, 2013

Stayed for a five night break and found the Palace to be exactly that! Fantastic service, fabulous food, wonderful rooms. Nothing was too much trouble for any of the staff and the butler service is sublime. We'll be back!

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 31, 2012

As so many people have said, the Emirates Palace is stunning. It is so luxurious with the domes, the gold, the fountains, the gold, the cavernous corridors, the gold. Did I mention the gold?

Without doubt it is, along with the Sheik Zayed Mosque, the must see site in Abu Dhabi but I think that it maybe needs to remember that it is supposed to be a hotel.

Don't get me wrong, it is a fantastic hotel, the service is very good, the pools are excellent, the beach is pristine. It is, however, marketing itself as a 7 star hotel. I'm not sure I agree. If it was claiming to be a five star hotel I would have come away in complete agreement. It is in line with what I would expect from a five star hotel and not only that, the prices are no higher than I would expect to pay in a five star hotel. So why up the ante and claim to be seven star?

I think that the problem comes from the fact that it is trying to be a tourist attraction and a hotel at the same time. This is particularly difficult when the hotel is so large. It is awkward when you are challenged every time you enter the hotel as to whether or not you are a guest. I fully understand, and welcome, that they are trying to restrict access to non-residents but it can get awkward. A system is required whereby you show your room key or something. On one occassion the guy on the door all but told my wife and I that he thought we were lying when we said we were guests. In other hotels that have become tourist attractions eg. Raffles Singapore, Ocean Club Bahamas, Palazzo Versace Surfers Paradise, Burj Al Arab Dubai, the hotels are small enough that the doormen know the residents. They don't even need to ask. I recognise that this would be very difficult in a hotel of this size.

Anyway, enough of the negatives. I love the way that the hotel has been set out to provide an adults wing and a family wing. We loved it by the East Wing pool where there was peace and quiet. The West Wing pool was also wonderful with the lazy river and slides for teh kids. I have read that the hotel is just too big. I wouldn't agree. It only took fifteen minutes to walk from one end to the other and it was also nice to be able to walk out along the Corniche. There is some building work at the moment which makes it a little difficult to walk out from the hotel but I'm sure that will soon be finished. It's only a half hour walk to the mall too which is great.

The rooms are lovely. We had a standard room but it gave us everything we needed. We were there with my parents-in-law who were upgraded to a suite. You could have held a party in there - huge. All rooms come witha butler although the only time we saw ours was when I rang because the television didn't work. The buttler tried to fix it but had to ring for IT. Eventually they managed to get it on but we were never able to change channel. This wasn't a significant problem. We were not there to watch TV but again, seven star?

If you are staying in Abu Dhabi, make sure you go and have a look at the Emirates Palace and if you stay there, I'm sure you will not be disappointed. We weren't disappointed, just not blown away in the way that we could have been.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Oldham_mark
Reviewed December 30, 2012

My wife and I had been planning to stay at the Emirates Palace for a while before finally taking the plunge and staying for three nights to celebrate a Birthday and I can honestly say that we weren't dissapointed. The first thing that strikes you as you approach the hotel is the sheer scale of the place which some may find a little imposing but the attentive staff manage to give a very personal service where nothing is too much trouble.
The rooms are, as you would expect, finished to an excellent standard with the bathrooms being spacious and well appointed. The choice of restaurants seem to cover all tastes, our favourite being Hakkasan which offers great chinese dishes coupled with a funky bar.
The pool areas are excellent with one area dedicated to families and the other more focused towards a more relaxed atmosphere which we found a refreshing change having just spent four days at the Qasar Al Sarab resort where the whole pool area had become like Disneyland!
All in all, an excellent hotel which more than lives up to it's excellent reputation and if you were staying in Abu Dhabi, why would you stay anywhere else?

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple