“My favourite restaurant in Abu Dhabi.”

55&5th The Grill Abu Dhabi
Ranked #56 of 2,062 Restaurants in Abu Dhabi
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse, Grill
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
“My favourite restaurant in Abu Dhabi.”
Reviewed March 6, 2014 via mobile

This is the second review I have written of this fabulous restaurant in as many weeks. Somehow the first has been lost. The Senior Barmen a Sri Lankan called Shashikia mixes a Bloody Mary with a twist that is to die for and a Strawberry Blonde that is a work of art. Although our favourite Maître Dee has moved to another restaurant the position has been filled by a lovely young lady who personifies what makes any visit to 55&5th, and that's personal. The attention to detail is impressive without being intrusive. The Sommelier, a lovely French young lady called Aurelle ensures your dining experience is complimented by perfect wines in a friendly, informative manner, putting you at ease without being pretentious. Last night we enjoyed the tasting menu and accompanying wines, where previously we have taken a safe option and not challenged our taste buds. Although expensive it was amazing, from Bone Marrow to Sweet Meats something we would never have experienced the food was exquisite and ably explained by Ola who was supported by another delightful young lady, Jessa. The seven course menu is complimented by 5 wines which are introduced by Aurelle and if not to your taste can be changed, although not fans of Sherry all the wines certainly enhanced the food. In summary our fourth visit to this restaurant was as good as the first, the food is outstanding, the decor sets a wonderful ambience, whilst the Staff really make you feel special. We look forward to seeing you all again soon.

Visited March 2014
Stregis_Management, General Manager at 55&5th The Grill Abu Dhabi, responded to this review, March 19, 2014
Dear Guest

I am thrilled to read your comments on your experience at 55&5th, The Grill.

It is always nice to welcome back guests to our restaurants and I am glad you that the team have gone beyond expectations during your dining experience.

I will be sure to pass your kind comments on to the team and we all hope to welcome you back again soon.

• Korean first
Surra
“One of the best steaks i ve had.”
Reviewed February 22, 2014

I would highly recommend this restaurant if you are a steak lover.
The meat is great and all the side dishes are fantastic.

• Visited January 2014
Dear Maria

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on your experience at 55&5th, The Grill.

I am glad to read your comments on the service and food and will be sure to pass this on to the team.

Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Good place!”
Reviewed January 29, 2014

It is a nice place,nice enviroment,nice service..
The bloody mery wasn´t súper good,as should be in St.Regis,but the rest was súper.
The food is excellent and outside terrace is a nice place to be,a really nice touch will be if there is an entertainment,like pianist..
Well done!

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank Mariadelrosario_89
Uae
“Very Disappointing”
Reviewed December 27, 2013

Please try and picture the scene, Christmas Day, 10 of us in our group all looking forward to our special Christmas Feast in a Private Room at St Regis Hotel eating at 55th and 5th a so called specialist Steak House. So far so good or that is what we thought. We all decided to all try the recommended "tasting menu" which incidentally was priced at UAE555 per person without alcohol. Hey its Christmas lets push the boat out was the view from our group. The few courses we ate to start with were delicious as one would expect at such a venue. Alas we had some slightly different comments from our group when the steaks appeared. Three of our group of 10 could not even cut the steak with our steak knives never mind trying to chew the steaks. The steaks were inedible and poor quality meat. The steaks were as "rough as old boots" It was like trying to chew a toffee. The steaks we had were full of gristle and the white colour inside the steak was unbelievable and looked completely disgusting to be honest. Having been so fortunate to travel the world and dine at many extremely fine dining restaurants this whole experience was the start of what I can only describe as a complete shock to the system. What was starting to unravel was this evening was about to become the worst of my fine dining experiences by far,

Upon trying to cut our steaks which 3 of us gave up on, we did ask to see the chef who duly came out from the kitchen and tried to explain that this was the finest cut of meat and that it should taste fine. I fully understand the concept that steak should be cooked medium to rare and I like that very much. I was not impressed with the chefs attitude as it came across that we should just eat our steaks and stop complaining. The Chef did finally in fairness ask if we wanted our steaks to be better cooked, which we declined as the moment had gone. I did enquire if he was the Head Chef to which he replied he was and I personally was staggered at this response as there is no way would a Head Chef allow our steaks to leave his kitchen the way ours were served. Having spoken to various others members of staff from the hotel I was informed that the Head Chef had left (probably gone to spend time and be with his family for Christmas) I then asked to see the General Manager and was informed that he also had left for the evening.

The Food and Beverage Manager did in my opinion do his level best to pacify us and to try make good our disappointment. Sadly our SPECIAL CHRISTMAS EVENING feast was ruined. The F and B Manger acted very professionally and was a credit to St Regis.

St Regis and 55 and 5th need to pull their socks up. Please Please start and introduce some quality control on food that leaves the kitchen, that would help to start with. Also don't try and warm up pre cooked food and expect your diners to be fooled that it has been freshly cooked

We did receive some discount from our bill but the evening was ruined as 10 people left feeling cheated and disappointed

• Visited December 2013
Stregis_Management, General Manager at 55&5th The Grill Abu Dhabi, responded to this review, January 8, 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback.

I understand that our Food and Beverage Manager was dealing with your situation however should you wish to discuss this matter further I can be contacted on stregis.saadiyat@stregis.com

Singapore, Singapore
“You have to try it for yourself...”
Reviewed November 24, 2013

While I consider my self open when it comes to food, when I think of a raw, hot and melting steak sizzled to perfection, I always seek out an American joint. Americans understand steak. Period.

Naturally I didn’t really think a steakhouse in Abu Dhabi would be all that.

I must eat my words here, because I was completely satisfied.

Naturally, I must start with the most important thing. The food. The steak was awesome.

You know the phrase “a steak so well sizzled, it melts in your mouth”. I rarely use it because few places make steak so great, it literally melts in your mouth. The 55 & 5th is one of those few place.

Steaks were tender, of the right proportions, and sizzled almost to perfection. The steak are very well cut with no stray tendons that run across the steak. The fat is well marbled, it’s not tough as hide, and melts as soon as you bite down on it. Tender on the inside, while the meat is pinkish and slightly bordering on red, there’s no excessive blood oozing out as one cuts into the steak.

I was there twice in my stay at the St Regis Saadiyat, and both times, I ordered a steak medium-rare. I found the steak surface sizzled a little more charred than I usually like my steak. Maybe it’s the chef’s style, so in this context perfection is a subjective thing. Also while I like my steaks a little red-ish, I think it was a still a little too rare in the centre. Again, I’ve come across steakhouses that did their medium-rares more medium, and some do it more rare. Again, it may be a matter of style.

Also awesome were the sides.

I’ve always thought that McDonalds had the best fries period. I’ve been to many places from local fish & chips, to local burger joints, to grill bars, steakhouse to expensive restaurants.

No more. The french fries espelette at the 55 & 5th are in my humble opinion the best fries in the world. Period. McDonalds’ fries don’t even come close.

Crispy on the outside, soft and pipping hot on the inside, with a spice powder that upper-cuts your taste-buds. It is so delicious, I could not resist eating my fries before the steak - and that’s a big no-no in a steakhouse. If not for my diet, I’d have asked them to send a platter of pure french fries.

Then there’s the truffle hash brown. There’s simply no describing it. So innocent, so unassuming. However, once you put it in your mouth and bite down, all the flavours ooze out and wash over your taste buds. It is a very well thought out side, the blandness of the potato neatly balances out the strong spike of the filling. Not too filling or big, it’s just the right size to sate you and make you want more.

In terms of service, I thought that the staff were very attentive and helpful. I did notice that staff stayed out of the seating areas, so it feels a little empty, but every time we called for service, a staff would be by our tables in a matter of seconds. I found the service to be prompt and quick. Maybe nothing spectacular, but definitely good service.

If you're staying at the St Regis Saadiyat Island Resort, it'd be a waste if you didn't try the the 55 & 5th at least once.

• Visited November 2013
Dear Guest

I am thrilled to read your kind comments about 55&5th, The Grill. I am glad that the service and the food went beyond your expectations.

I hope to welcome you back again on your next visit to Abu Dhabi.