“New Year in Abu Dhabi”
Review of Hilton Abu Dhabi

Hilton Abu Dhabi
Ranked #46 of 127 Hotels in Abu Dhabi
Reviewed January 12, 2013

Our most recent trip to the Hilton Abu Dhabi was, as usual, wonderful. From our pick up at Dubai airport to a late check out time to suit our travel arrangements, every member of staff was very courteous, friendly and helpful. The location of the hotel right on the Gulf beach but in easy reach of shopping and other amenities really suits us. The choice of restaurants in the hotelis also good.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Evelyn C
Write a ReviewReviews (3,215)

Reviewed January 11, 2013

We stayed here with my wife and 1 year old in February 2012 for 1 week. I had some business, but we had family time too. The hotel is not the newest, but its made up by location, the beach, friendly staff, excellent variety of restaurants and a nice lounge and its well kept. A necessity, as like in Dubai, small children are not welcome in most restaurants. I think the best side is the seaview, but high up as the streets around the hotel are noisy, then again we slept well. 1 day of sandstorm, blocked our view. The lounge is a good quality one and the beach is nice, calm waters for kids. There is a connecting tunnel under the road. Surroundings are pleasant and the Emirates palace beach is the only other beach around. Compared to Dubai, you need to take a taxi everywhere. The hotel resembles the Jumeirah Hilton in Dubai, although that is a little more luxurious. A construction sight stopped us going to the Emirates Palace, with a trolly it was impossible. For non kid travellers Etihad towers view bar is supposedly nice. Near the hotel there is a bridge to the best mall in town, with a nice tower restaurant, a nice trolly stroll. For those who care, no alcohol is served. Ferrari world is a mustsee as is the new Grand Mosque.

Reviewed January 10, 2013

I have layover in the UAE, I opted to stay at this property again. My first visit in 2008 was great, so I went for what I knew. I was not disappointed. I got a warm welcome and a speedy check in. The staff was great, especially the guest relations manager who help me getting my New Year's Eve information from the Hilton Colombo as my three attempts had failed. I have a good one night stay and in summary, a great hotel with a great location. I'll be back!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank tangerinegirl
Reviewed January 10, 2013

We stayed at the Hilton Abu Dhabi for a week in December, and quite thoroughly enjoyed it. The service from start to end was absolutely fantastic.

The Hilton Abu Dhabi was built in 1972 and was one of the first if not the first luxury hotels in Abu Dhabi. Given its age, it is in an awkward position - not new enough to have the larger rooms, windows and bathrooms, and not old enough to have the charm of a classy old hotel. The main floor and lobby area is opulent, spacious, with marble everywhere. The rooms on the other hand are a bit long in the tooth, and not that large. The bathroom compares with that of a chain motel only better stocked. In our room the metal door jams were rusting where they met the floor. The window is abut 3.5 feet wide and is off in the corner of the rooms so you can't see out from either the bed nor the seating area.

There are no shops nor restaurants along the streets in Abu Dhabi, so unless one wants to walk twenty minutes or so to the mall, hotel guests are prisoner of the hotel's dining rooms. There are a number of them, the food is pretty good, but the prices are very high. The guide books say the hotel is on the Corniche and that there are a number of family type restaurants on the Corniche. True, except the hotel is at one end and the restaurants are at the other, 45 minutes walk away. We had breakfast included with the room, and it was comparable to a lido deck on a cruise ship in quality and variety.

The second outstanding feature of the Hilton Abu Dhabi, after the service, is its beach club. At first reading it doesn't sound so hot, e.g. on the other side of a six lane road and next to the breakwater/causeway to the 400 store Marina Mall. We needn't have worried. There is a tunnel under the street, and once inside the beach club you can neither see nor hear the street noise. We did not find the vehicle noise from the causeway intrusive. The beach club is self sufficient with bars, restaurants, a large pool, beach, changing rooms, and more than ample number of lounge chairs, as in no problem with people saving lounges.

A couple of prior posters mentioned contruction noise from next door. There is a zillion storey building going up, but the super structure and exterior are complete so the construction noise is no longer noticeable.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank dldcw2
Reviewed January 10, 2013

Hilton Abu Dhabi may be one of the older hotels but it is spotlessly clean and perfectly positioned. My room was sea facing on 6th floor, not a big window but perfect for the view and not allowing any sound from the street. Bed very comfortable, shower great and kept perfectly clean. I received a beautiful gift of Christmas goodies for being guest of the day, what a lovely surprise. Breakfast at La Terrazza had every item you could wish for and smiling, willing staff who because I was alone and encouraged it, chatted to me about what I was doing each day. It made me feel at home. Most of the staff at breakfast also work in the restaurants at night, so I enjoyed seeing them there too. Had Christmas Eve dinner at Bocca, very classy and great food; New Year’s Eve at Vasco’s - sat outside - delicious food and terrific South African band playing - so I danced and watched the fireworks at midnight from Emirates Palace. I also enjoyed Hemmingway’s Mexican food with songs from the girls of “Symphony”, and the Jazz Bar with the fantastic group “Maximum”, and the food is truly awesome at Royal orchid with its Asian cuisine. The Hiltonia club with beach area, pools, spa and gym are a valuable asset, really great! The position of the hotel is fantastic because you can walk to Emirates Palace, Marina Mall and Etihad Towers to go up to 74th floor for a view of all Abu Dhabi. The buses also run past if you need to go further. But the biggest asset of the Hilton Abu Dhabi is the staff. I did not have one complaint in 11 days. From Judith and Josephine at Guest relations, to catering managers and staff at all restaurants, to cleaners – all were friendly and helpful and that would make me want to go back again and again.

Room Tip: I enjoyed my 6th floor sea facing room
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank BevGribs
Reviewed January 9, 2013

Booked this hotel for our New Year holiday and we were not disappointed. We arrived on 26th December to a warm welcome and a speedy check in. We received an upgrade to our room but were disappointed when it was a twin room - seemed to be a misunderstanding on the booking. The receptionist was apologetic but could not move us to a different room as the hotel was fully booked, so arranged for the beds to be moved together which was a fair compromise.

There are a lot of reviews on here about the hotel being the oldest in Abu Dhabi. It is, but you would not know this when you stay as it is very modern inside and we thought it was lovely. The highlight is definitely the beach club - it's is very impressive. Well worth the short walk! We ate at all the hotels restaurants and were particularly impressed with Vascos!

In summary, a great hotel with a great location. We would definitely return!

Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed January 7, 2013

Thanks to everyone at the Hilton for making our holiday in Abu Dhabi a great experience. The recommendations to Finz and the Lebanese Flower were excellent and Vascos was a good as ever! The room on the 10th floor was a big hit with Our daughter Lucy and the service in the Exec lounge was really good even though it was very busy at times with standing room only.

For us, it will always be the sea, the beach, the spa/gym and the watersports that make our New Year holiday. The Hilton is the best in Abu Dhabi and I suspect we may well return to the Hilton for our forth year running next year, despite the ever growing number of alternatives.

Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family