“Some issues for management to fix”
Review of Hilton Abu Dhabi

Hilton Abu Dhabi
Ranked #39 of 127 Hotels in Abu Dhabi
Swindon, United Kingdom
“Some issues for management to fix”
Reviewed October 9, 2012

Stayed here to split up our journey home from Australia. Arrived at 8am and were delighted to be given an upgrade, allowing us to get a room immediately. This was typical of the general level of service which was excellent.
The hotel is one of the oldest in Abu dhabi and the rooms were a little dated though they were clean and the bed was extremely comfortable.
The pool area was accessed via an underpass - this was not an issue and this area was very good.
I ate at a couple of the restaurants which were ok, nothing brilliant but pricey for the standard. And this is where my issues begin:-
A 750ml bottle of water was over 30 dirhams when adding service charge and tourist tax.
Service charge - a personal pet hate no matter where I am in the world. As previously stated service could not be faulted, therefore, I don't mind it being added but why do they then ask for a tip on top.
On my first night I went to Hemingways, a bar in the hotel which shows live football. The bar was busy, mostly with Brits working in AD. The majority were friendly but one acted as if he owned the place, deciding what match should be shown on his 'personal' tv. I happened to be watching the game on said tv and objected to the changing of channel. Both the barman and myself were subjected to a foul mouthed tirade of abuse - ' who the f.. Was I and he spends f...... Money here every day. This language was repeated on several occasions - something which may be expected down the 'local' but not in a five star hotel. Why does management allow such an ignoramus in their property, I'm pretty sure he wasn't a resident.
Generally this hotel is best suited to the business traveller but I would look for an alternative if on holiday.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank ExiledSc0t
HiltonAbuDhabiDO, Director of Operations at Hilton Abu Dhabi, responded to this review, October 17, 2012
Thank you for posting your review about your stay at Hilton Abu Dhabi. I am happy to read about your positive service encounter during the arrival and the overall pleasant dining experience.

I am sorry to read about the inconveniences you experienced during your visit in the Hemingways Bar. First of all such kind of behavior should not be tolerated in any of our establishments and action from our team should be more assertive in such situations.

I have discussed this matter with the concerned head of the department and we are in the process of training our team members on how to deal with such delicate situations in the future.

Once again, my apologies for the negative impression and if you have further feedback please do not hesitate to contact me through my details below.

We hope to welcome you again during your future visits and we will do our best to make them as enjoyable as you would have expected.

Sincerely

Director of Operations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (478)
  • Arabic first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Newport, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 8, 2012 via mobile

Easy enjoyable experience from start to finish. Hilton is predictable and reliable. What sets this one apart is the staff and it's history. We are members of the loyalty programme but not the upper tier. This didn't stop us being very well treated, upgraded and very well looked after. There is plenty of construction work going nearby but don't let that put you off. The executive lounge is an absolute treasure, good drinks and snacks all day long, and outstanding staff, including Nina, & Herman. The room was a good standard and very well maintained. That said it looks a little dated, and had a cracked toilet, which just left you thinking.. Hmmm.. Unhygienic, Maintenance should have picked that up. That said, we didn't complain - it wasn't that big a deal as in every other respect the room was spotless and well looked after by housekeeping.

So the place has umpteen restaurants some of which are a little so so, but worthy of a mention are the Royal orchid and vascos. Above all you must get to the jazz bar in the hotel on a Friday or Saturday night to see the excellent house band cover everything from stevie wonder to Jay Cee.!

The pools are across the road but really, it's a 2 min walk... Easy. Get to the swim up bar and seek out Chandra who is one of the worlds nice people.

The beach club is also home to a small water sports provider. This let me down. I love jet skiing and really looked forward to that as part of my holiday. When we tried to book we were told that they had stopped providing the facility due to accidents. I applaud such a prqgamatic decision if appropriate however this change isn't mentioned anywhere in the hotel guide and the signs are still up in the watersports centre offering jet sking! Moreover what I guess are local private providers pitch Up every day and noisily race around the shallow water before beaching their craft on the private beach. I steer well clear of this kind of outfit, but really, if it's a private beach should they be allowed to 'tout" for business in this way? Hmmmmmm.. Needs sorting.

Check out was clunky.... Dme problems with historic card numbers. Im sure I'll need to check the bank statement... Needs a little tidy up...

So... Back to the good stuff.

This hotel excels in delivering a recognised brand and standard of care to its guests by being sympathetic to local traditions and customs, and by carefully choosing it's staff. As with any organisation there are some who do their job, and their are some that do more than their job. This Hilton has more than its fair share of the latter. We are strongly considering returning to both the UAE and the Abu Dhabi Hilton next year.

Oh yes.... Abu Dhabi the place...friendly, welcoming, not overbearing. We tried very hard to "blend in" and that effort was well rewarded with engaging people and friendly smiles. Don't forget the weekend starts on Thursday night so expect any pool, beach or public place o seriously fill up on Friday and Saturday. Temps right now are around 37 Celsius with moderate humidity. A week or two later might be preferential if you feel the effects of high humidity or burn easily... Just my opinion!

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
HiltonAbuDhabiDO, Director of Operations at Hilton Abu Dhabi, responded to this review, October 22, 2012
Thank you very much for being one of our loyal guests at the Hilton Abu Dhabi and for posting your review on Trip Advisor.

Thank you for your appreciative comments about our team members Nina and Herman. Regarding the cracked toilet I have discussed this issue with the concerned head of department, and we already resolved this issue.

I am sorry about your negative encounter on our jet skis. The unfortunate situations in the past made us rethink this offer and we decided to quit from the jet skis hire.

We hope to welcome you again during your future visits to Hilton Abu Dhabi.

Abu Dhabi, Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed October 3, 2012

Nice hotel with a great location near the Emirates Palace and the Marina mall.

Hemingways is one of their restaurants with a very fun pub quiz on Sunday night at 8pm (done by 10pm). The service here is excellent particularly during the quiz night.

One time I had a burger not done to my liking so I sent it back to get it re-cooked. Instead I got a completely fresh burger (pleasant surprise) and a free pint of beer. This might be common in other countries but usually you dont get service like this in Abu Dhabi. I was really impressed and will be back.

Cheers to the management.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Wrstling1
HiltonAbuDhabiDO, Director of Operations at Hilton Abu Dhabi, responded to this review, October 10, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay with us and for complimenting our Hemmingway’ restaurant. Our location is indeed convenient to points of interest such as Emirates Palace hotel and Marina mall. We are delighted to welcome returning guests back to our hotel!

Glad to have contributed to make your stay enjoyable and we look forward to welcoming you back during your future visits to the capital!

Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed October 3, 2012

We stayed 4 days in April during a quiet period at the hotel.

Prior to our stay, I got in touch to organize some excursions. Concierge team was very helpful and willing to accommodate our wishes. We got exactly what we wanted, even though it was out of the usual tours.
They also confirmed our upgrade to executive floor before our arrival and arranged transfer from the airport at a very decent rate.

Room was clean and featuring an average size, with a nice view on the Corniche. Good and silent A/C, nice amenities.

Executive lounge was rather small but nice, especially the staff, which was friendly and very useful with all requests.
We could eat decently at breakfast and during the happy hour in both quantity and quality (including alcohol).

Beach club is quite nice, just take the tunnel under the road and here you are.

We ate at one of the restaurant and had in-room dinner, tasty and correct value in both cases.

We're really looking forward to coming back there!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank fereke
HiltonAbuDhabiDO, Director of Operations at Hilton Abu Dhabi, responded to this review, October 7, 2012
Thank you very much for being our guest at the Hilton Abu Dhabi and for posting your reviews on Trip Advisor.

Thank you for you appreciative comments about our team members and their services.

I am glad to know that you will return and look forward to welcoming you back as our guest sometime soon!

globalflyereal
Reviewed October 2, 2012

I selected this propoerty as I am loyal to Hilton. The property looks a bit faded on the outside and the rooms could take a bit of a refurbishment however the service was excellent and I really have no complaints. I was upgraded to the Executive level which has its own check in facility on the top (10th) floor. The staff were quite accomodating and very friendly. The Executive Lounge offers a nice Breakfast and a light lunch in the afternoon as well as a cocktail hour (wellI think it was more like three hours in length but I did not attend). Still a wonderful experience. The hotel is located on the infamous Corniche Road so this busy road is between the hotel and its beach location. The Hiltonia beach Club and Spa are located via a quick underground walkway. Also there is the Vasco's restaurant which was excellent. The Healthy Steamed over Sole hit the spot. I ordered room service twice and had the Pasta Carbonara and the Vegetarian Pizza. Both were VERY high quality and not your normal "hotel room service food"! Excellent!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank globalflyereal
HiltonAbuDhabiDO, Director of Operations at Hilton Abu Dhabi, responded to this review, October 3, 2012
Thank you for being one of our loyal guests and for posting your review on Trip Advisor.
I am very pleased to read that you find our services and facilities excellent, not to mention our very central location! Thank you as well for your kind comments about our team members. I am happy you enjoyed your meal at the Vasco’s restaurant.
We look forward to welcoming you back as our guest
St. Albans, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 23, 2012

The executive lounge staff are to be commended at this hotel. They are always helpful and knowledgable. We stayed for a week after a hectic month of travelling. The poolside gets busier at the weekends but at other times it is nice and quiet. They have the best sunbeds I have ever lay on. The poolbar staff work hard to get the food and drinks out; the Escape restaurant serves a lovely lunch. We had a lovely meal at Bocca and returned on our last night as we enjoyed it so much. the staff were nice and friedly and it was very relaxing, the piano player added to the mood. It is well placed to access the Cornich shopping mall, the Emirates palace for afternoon tea and also Yas Island and Ferrari world are only a taxi ride away. There are not many restaurants around the hotel but the promenade walk is nice to do on cooler evenings. It was a real tonic for us to have this oasis of calm in an otherwise hectic life.

Room Tip: Try to get a higher floor so the traffic noise is less.