Grand Continental Flamingo Hotel
Very Good 4/5
Good 3.5/5
  • Restaurant
  • Room Service
All reviewshotel is centrally locatedfree wifirooms are cleandouble roombusiness tripwalking distancelocation is greatupon checkcornichetaxicomfortprosconsrates
FilterAll languages
Reviewed March 27, 2012

It was on 9th March when we had our post Valentines Party with 120 organized attendees from different part of the emirates. A family of people who happen to group for a common cause of unit.

We booked the ballroom from 6pm until midnight for dinner buffet and a programmed party.
The venue has an ample space for 120 pax complete with stage and round tables complimented with the sound system and visual projectors.
The whole venue is well carpeted and the adjacent room is serving the buffet convenient enough for the party attendees.
Staffs were very well briefs and efficient. Though the food were tasted average on superb servings.

Located at the 2nd level of the building the two elevators are not conducive for massive attendees.

However the location of the hotel itself is in the middle of the city where they positioned away from the hassle streets of main road Hamdan. The parking is just across the building and entourage foyer is just so private that I personally loved.

I never thought Abu Dhabi has this settings which is really a value for money. I would definitely recommend this place once again compare to the previous venue we has used on some of our events considering the number of attendees and the packages it offers.

Room Tip: Make sure to know the nearby landmarks and exact location map of the hotel as it is not facing in the main road.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank OnlyChatru
Reviewed February 29, 2012

The staff here were friendly as are most staff in the UAE. I did not want to take my frustrations out on the mild mannered staff, but I made my complaints as soon as I arrived. However, perhaps this tact did not work, being softly spoken to make a complaint does not get you anywhere. I made the complaint about the room upon arrival about the mould in my room and nothing happened.

To begin, the lobby is small and tatty. Whatever the case might have been in the past with the hotel in terms of looks, it has now faded away. The stair case is a remnant of what it once was.

The hallways are dark and dingy, the carpet looks dirty and stained.

The bedroom is big, but the windows have not been cleaned in sometime, neither have the curtains been washed. The carpet was clean enough to walk on bare foot in the bed room. The furniture was old, knocked and chipped.

However, the bathroom was something else. There was a small shower head with lime scale, rusty nails in the wall. The sealant, I could have done a better job and I am not a plumber, it was cracking and peeling. There was mould in the bathroom too.

I have stayed in various places from hostels, to premier inns, to five star, so I know what to expect for my money. In fact, many hostels and premiers inns offer cleanliness that far surpasses that offered by the Grand continental. I thought perhaps my expectations of hotels in the UAE was wrong, but I checked out the Mercure across the road. It was cleaner, brighter with more facilities at £10 cheaper a night. I might have thought there was some value to the hotel at half the £96 I paid, but I still would have been rather shocked at the condition of the bathroom. There are also five star hotels available for the fee charged by this hotel. I am still rather surprised given that I went twice to the desk to point out my complaint that nothing happened. This hotel is in severe need of refurbishment.

I booked this room with Quick rooms. Quick rooms provide three numbers to call if you have a problem, I believe the 24 hour hotline is not directly linked with them. I called that number with Skype on the Sunday night to complain and ask for a change of hotel. That number could not be reached, therefore I called first thing on Monday morning at 9pm.

Quick rooms have a policy that cancelling hotels, you are charged two nights stay. I booked another hotel via the same booking system to prove I was not simply changing my mind, but that the hotel simply was so terrible. They do not take into account situations where the hotel is not to standard that a second night should not be paid for. I had no other way to make my complaint until 9am GMT. I am going to contest Quick rooms charges with my credit card company. I will also point out that their hotel search facility is faulty, because the Grand Continental continues to come in the 4 star search and then you find it is 3 star once you get to the page. Avoid this hotel if you book with them, it represents the lowest quality for money. I should know as I checked out other hotels which were cheaper in the same area. Plus five stars which were of a similar price with good locations. E.g not Yas Island.

Room Tip: Get a room without mould and shout about it too. Don't book without a cancellation policy
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank sarah f
Reviewed February 23, 2012

I come back in Grand Continental Flamingo after almost 8 months; same quick check-in, nice personnel, similar room as previous time. Was pleasant to see that the staff still remembers my last time visit. As news I noticed that the hotel has goth wi-fi and lan connections to internet (as far as I know last time was only lan). As was paid by company, I don't know if is for free or against payment.
Was offered a welcome drink and also a complementary basket with apples and orange.
Overall, the services and the climate is the same as last time, maybe better as I started to get used with this location (just only this time no more English newspapers were provided in the morning)
What is important: I noticed that next year should be opened a new hotel in the Grand Continental network. This one will have more facilities and hopefully, being more than 3 star hotel (as the existing one), will have in menu and alcoholic beverages.
If you are in business trip and looking for a good-location hotel, where not to spend to much time inside, this is a perfect one.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank gabpop
Reviewed February 7, 2012

Good hotel located at the centre of the city, good sorrounding, value for money. Best suitable for business travellers

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed December 21, 2011

My company booked me into this hotel for three month from aug to sep 2011. Arrived overnight and reached reception around 9am and was in the room inside 20 minutes. Pleasant staff all round. Room was quite big (2 x queen size beds) and everything worked as it should. The hotel has no bar and breakfast was only ordinary but I have no complaints EXCEPT the in-room telephone charges were shockingly high. My fault should have checked! If I was on vacation I'd want a pool, but on business, I'd use it again.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business