“Look at the travelers' pictures before you book”

Sheraton Abu Dhabi Hotel & Resort
Ranked #53 of 128 Hotels in Abu Dhabi
Reviewed March 19, 2013

I did not research this hotel prior to booking it- my husband made all the arrangements. He told me not to expect a lot and that the hotel and rooms would probably be disappointing to me- so I wasn't expecting to be wowed... that said, here is the gist of how I found the place to be:
Not what was expected: rooms are small, on the dark side (no natural sunlight and very narrow windows) and have a certain smell. The smell is not horrible but I don't like to "smell" my room at all unless it's the smell of flowers, fresh linen or coffee (and that's not what it smelled like. Smelled like a very old room).
Hotel is close to corniche- not on it. When I book a hotel on the beach- I expect a beach- I don't want to take a taxi there. Hotel's "beach" area is a joke. Not even with great deal of imagination can this resemble a beach. There is sand and there is water- but few yards of sand on the bank of a puddle located at the foot of two tall buildings under construction is not a beach. It was impossible to stay at the "beach" or by the pool because of the construction noise. We took a taxi to a family beach about 4.5 kilometers away for about 7 dirhams each way and paid about 80 dirhams at the beach for the entrance, lounge chairs and umbrella. Was totally worth it! The staff at the concierge desk was 50/50. One gentleman was helpful and very nice (I did not remember his name unfortunately) and one that was so confused, he really had no clue what he was saying. He had a hard time making a phone call, needed help from others and ended up giving us wrong information. We ended up going to a different Sheraton and got help from concierge there.

What we liked: front desk staff and just about everyone was very friendly and helpful. Free Wi-Fi in the lobby for one hour a day was great. Lots of restaurants and bars in the hotel- none were great or even good, but it was nice to have that option. All restaurants were very busy during our stay so perhaps other people found the food to be more to their liking- I tend to like good food and may be pickier about that. Although live music in the Mexican restaurant made me cringe- so so so bad! And who thought of the repertoire: Madonna’s Like a Prayer? Really?
Buffet in the morning was great- wonderful selection of global cuisine and great service.
Amenities were nice. Had some sweets and wine in the room waiting for us when we arrived. There was also fresh fruit in the room. Bathroom was nice. Hotel has a barber shop that was very busy and a salon for ladies. Did not use either but appeared to be popular with people. Liked the cafe in the lobby. It was lively and a good place to sit and people watch during any time of day. Desert was very good and so was the coffee.

Beware of the information on the website pertaining to local area. It makes it seem like everything in the pictures is "in the area"- it's not. Sheikh Zayed Grand Mosque is located on the other end of the city- will cost about 30 dirhams to get there (not much, but it's not local area). Corniche is across the street and the area by the hotel is not really pretty- nice corniche starts about 4 kilometers away- I walked along the entire corniche on foot, large portion of corniche is under construction and has no view at all. We were expecting to find lots of restaurants along the corniche- our own fault- no one said it would be so, but in US- usually you'll find restaurants along the waterfront and boardwalks so we assumed it would be and were disappointed. There are a few food vendors about 5 kilometers away from the hotel on the corniche- but it's take out or fast food type places with outdoor seating available for some.
Restaurants:
The Beachcomber- outdoor cafe- mediocre food and air filled with smells of shisha. Views of either nothing or of the gym (that's the view I got).
The Sombrero- guacamole made table side was the best dish. All else was okay-not great, not horrible. Music was awful. If I wasn't enjoying my company- I would have hated it.
La Mamma Italian- surprisingly the best meal of the stay. Restaurant has no views. Staff was okay, pretty friendly not really extraordinary in any way. I had risotto with seafood and beef carpaccio.
Bravo Tapas Bar- don't know how the food is. I left before we sat down. No atmosphere at all. View of nothing/road, too much light and no ambiance at all. Would be okay for a pizzeria or a diner but in a tapas bar I would have expected dim lighting at the very least.
Bar/Restaurant (don't remember the name) - Had to walk out. Place was so smoky my eyes started to tear before I could read the menu. Looked cute and was loud- not great for non-smokers or those that don't want to smell like an ashtray after a night out.
Flavours Restaurant/ Buffet- great breakfast selection. Did not have any other meals there.
B- Lounge- has a lot of potential. Music, lighting and outdoor seating. Wasn't very lively when we were there, plus did not care for the location- basically behind the building- next to AC units and something else that produced noise and steam. Same area is also known as "beach" during day-light hours.
There is another restaurant that is not run by Starwood but located on the grounds. I forgot the name but it serves local cuisine/ Lebanese/ Armenian. Happened to be abandoned when we came here. It was the only restaurant open at the time so we had no choice. Place was okay overall: food edible, service mediocre, atmosphere/ambiance- not much.
Overall, hotel wasn't very good but the staff tried very hard. The biggest loss of rating comes from "misadvertisement" as beach hotel and having waterfront view, smelly rooms and construction noise (it's not Sheraton's fault, I know, but does not help with experience during the stay).

Room Tip: Lower floors have no views. "Water" view is underwhelming to say the least.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Martin_Cramer, General Manager at Sheraton Abu Dhabi Hotel & Resort, responded to this reviewResponded March 26, 2013

Dear Travgirl,

I firstly would like to thank you for taking the time to send such a comprehensive report of your experience with us, we take such comments very seriously and always use the feedback to improve on our services and we will be carefully reviewing yours and act upon what we believe is relevant.

While we cannot influence structural issues such as room sizes, I am sorry that you did not entirely enjoy all of our rooms and leisure facilities. It all comes down to everyone’s appreciation and expectations and I do feel disappointed that yours where not always met in that respect.

I did take note of your positive comments about our associates and you may rest assured that they will be shared with them.

We do offer a wide range of restaurants and bars in the hotel most of which boast a very positive reputation amongst Abu Dhabi and international dinners.

I hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you again in the future and would like to remain at your disposal should you decide to do to personally all arrangements and ensure of your comfort.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to share your feedback and warm regards

There are newer reviews for Sheraton Abu Dhabi Hotel & Resort

Reviewed March 16, 2013

Before arriving to the hotel I had to arrange tourist visa via them. To my shock it costed 350€. After complaining (apparently this price is not set by the hotel) the hotel arranged a 2 weeks business visa for half the price. This visa included a greeting service (hostess to walk me to luggage belt and a helper who lifted luggage to cart) and airport transfer, so it was a better value.
The hotel is an older property, the rooms are nicely renovated and everywhere is an abundance of marble. Service was very good in every area of the hotel. The beach is not really a beach, it is a tiny water with a highway on it. The pool was great for the kids, they spent a lot of time there.
Location of the hotel is good, we could reach everything with a few minutes taxi ride. The italian restaurant serves very good food and we found it good value. We paid for the package which includes breakfast, snacks during the day in the business lounge and drinks. We found it good value and used the business longe often. Breakfast was excellent, lots of choices from european to asian or american food.
Staff was friendly with children, and this is the case in general in Abu Dhabi.

Room Tip: Our room was high up, did not hear construction noise
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Krisztina P
Martin_Cramer, General Manager at Sheraton Abu Dhabi Hotel & Resort, responded to this reviewResponded March 28, 2013

Dear Krisztina,

Thank you for sharing your recent experience with us on tripadvisor.

I was very pleased to see that you and your family enjoyed your stay with us and managed to enjoy most of our facilities.

Your kind comments about our restaurants have been well noted and I am happy that you found our Club Floor option to be of good value.

I was especially pleased that you found our team of associates to be very friendly, caring and welcoming. They genuinely care about children and always have a little attention for them.

I hope that we will have the pleasure of a future visit and would like to remain at your disposal to handle all arrangements personally and ensure of your comfort.

Reviewed March 16, 2013

My wife and I stayed for one week in March. We booked a club room which was allocated on the 7th floor. Before arrival I had read the mixed reviews on Tripadvisor and had some concerns but by and large they proved to be unfounded. We arrived at 8 am but our room was ready and we were given direct access. Reception staff (as were all the staff) were very efficient and polite.

The room was a wee bit on the small side but was very clean and had everything you could ask for. Being a club room it had free wi-fi which worked well. The club room also gives you complimentary breakfast and access to a lounge where sandwiches and soft drinks are served during the day and alcoholic drinks and sandwiches served during the evening. We really enjoyed this facility and it was well worth the extra money. It would be even better if club room guests could access such a facility closer to the pool area and this would save you getting dressed in the middle of the day for either drinks or snacks. The breakfasts are very good and the choice is huge. Only issue is the smoking which is covered later on in this review.

The pool area is fantastic and there is also a man made beach. Service around the pool is good and there is a swim up bar. Only downside is the nearby building works. They are huge and dominate the sky line. They are also noisy and on occasions dust does pollute the atmosphere. This is the main reason I have given 4 points rather than 5. Its beyond Sheratons control but it still impacts on your vacation. When the outside works are complete I would not hesitate to return.

My only other negative comment is the cigarette smoke in both the hotel and its restaurants. There is obviously a smoking culture in the UAE but others hotels and restaurants we visited Policed it much better than the Sheraton. They need to either designate their restaurants non smoking (as others have done) or enforce the non smoking areas. We ate in the Mexican restaurant on the Friday night and whilst the food and drink were good the place stank of cigarette smoke. We had asked for the non smoking section but people smoked at tables all around us. We did not eat again in the hotel because of this.

Overall - It's one of the older hotels in Abu Dhabi but its well maintained, very clean, staff are very polite and its in an excellent location. We will return again and use the club rooms but only once the building works are nearer completion.

• Stayed: March 2013

Dear Mr. Fife,

Thank you for reviewing our hotel on tripadvisor.

I was very pleased to see that you enjoyed your stay with us and managed to use most of our facilities.

Your kind comments about our restaurants have been well noted yet I was especially pleased that you found our team of associates to be very friendly, caring and welcoming. You may rest assured that your comments will be shared with them.

I understand you’re feeling about the cigarette smoking policies and as you mentioned, there a smoking culture in the city which prevents us from making any of our restaurants fully non-smoking. We try to allocate the seats the best possible way nonetheless yet it may on occasion still be a disturbance. I di hope that the law readily in place around the world making our restaurants and bars non-smoking will be enforced in Abu Dhabi in the future.

I do hope that we will have the pleasure of a future visit and would like to remain at your disposal to handle all arrangements personally and ensure of your comfort.

Reviewed March 15, 2013

Wonderful hotel. Great staff. Fabulous food. Good location. Really great bed.

Arrived very early many hours before official check-in time and room was made available immediately. Made very welcome at reception even though it was only 07:00. We had just completed a 14 hour overnight flight.

We were offered an upgrade for very reasonable price which turned out to be great value.

Unfortunately for the hotel, there is considerable building work close by. Unsightly, but not noisy.

Room Tip: Sea view was part of the upgrade package. Recommended.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Frank,
Thank you for reviewing our hotel on tripadvisor.

I was very pleased to see that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us.

We always try to accommodate our customer’s special request’s and I can understand that having a room available at 7 am after a 14 hours flight was a welcoming gesture.

The Club level offers a great value both in regards to cost and quality and I am happy that you made good use of it.

I was very pleased that you found our team of associates to be very friendly, caring and welcoming.

Reviewed March 15, 2013

The hotel lies in a very strategic location in Abudhabi offering easy access to almost anywhere. Specially being at the start of the corniche road, which has many great attractions. The hotel is one of the oldest in town, but refurbished into tip-top shape again. I didn't get the chance to use the recreational facilities as I was on a business trip, so I can comment only on the room and breakfast.
Check in procedure was fast, though the staff seemed somewhat "distracted" or overloaded. However, this did not affect the process of check in as things went smooth,
Classic rooms are nicely furnished but not so spacious. Though the bathroom is well sized, and fitted with a shower and a tub.
Basic amenities available in the bathroom, in addition to the tea and coffee maker. Desk space is comfortable, so is the bed.
TV channels selection is fair, with a good balance between Arabic, English and some Indian. Though I wasn't very happy with the receiver quality,as the broadcast wasn't very pure and clear.
The room has a very small balcony, not fit for sitting but enough to stand comfortably.
Rooms with the "resort view" overlook heavy construction of 3-4 towers, hence, if that's not you're kind of view, then go for the city view rooms.However, I did not hear any construction noise at night and had a peaceful sleep.
The breakfast was good. Pastries, cheeses, salads selection were good, yet the hot dishes section was very limited and needs improvement.
Overall, If I would rate this business trip experience, I would give it 8 out of 10.

Room Tip: Choose city view rooms for a nicer view. The resort view rooms overlook some heavy construction. How...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
4  Thank MetroTraveller2011

Dear Customer,

Thank you for sharing your comments on your recent stay in our hotel on tripadvisor.

I am happy that you found the hotel conveniently located for your needs. It is indeed a exclusive location and allows you access to practically everything within a very short taxi ride. Being in the city center yet having a lagoon and extensive gardens is often appreciated by our customers.

I do hope that we will have the pleasure of a future visit, maybe for leisure this time and that you will be able to enjoy our resort, spa and pools.

I would like to remain at your disposal to handle all arrangements personally and ensure of your comfort.

+ Big bathroom
+ breakfast buffet with many choices
+ quick ckeckin and checkout
+ room available hours before official checkin time

- Rooms are very small and dark, no carpet
- No real beach
- Service in pool area and breakfast room very slow and not much attendive
- internet access costs a fotune
- constuction work opposite pool area

• Stayed: March 2013
Martin_Cramer, General Manager at Sheraton Abu Dhabi Hotel & Resort, responded to this reviewResponded March 25, 2013

Dear Jo H,

I would like to thank you for your feedback on your recent visit to the hotel.

We always take such firsthand customer comments seriously and use them to improve on our service offering.

While some structural issues cannot be attended to, I have well noted your positive points as well as the more challenging ones and will discuss them with our associates to ensure that no other customers face such issues in the future.

Once again, thank you for your feedback

Reviewed March 13, 2013

Another excellent stay at the Sheraton Abu Dhabi.
Superb staff, food, very comfortable relaxing bedroom, Spa and pool.
The staff from the bedroom, to the restaurant and reception were all a credit to the company
Another booking will be made by us soon! No doubt of that!
names that come to mind are Marc, Anne Charlotte. Sheilla, Bini, Kirsty,Andrea, Ruth, Michelle in the Spa and many more!

Room Tip: All rooms are of the highest standard. The outlook varies, but even overlooking the road- rooms are...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Customer,

Thank you for sharing your feedback about our hotel on tripadvisor.

I was very happy to read that you had a very enjoyable stay with us and that all our team made it a flawless experience.

It is always a good sign when return customers and frequent travelers rate us positively.

Please let me know when you plan to come back next in order to ensure that I can meet with you.

Once again, thank you and warm regards