“Avoid - very dis-organized with requests not attended to.”

Sheraton Abu Dhabi Hotel & Resort
Ranked #56 of 128 Hotels in Abu Dhabi
Reviewed February 15, 2013

We stayed here for two nights as part of trip through the Middle East. We were disappointed with the experience and would recommend that you stay elsewhere. The polish of this hotel was not up to other Sheraton experiences and seemed very disorganized. The experience wasn't as a result of any one error, but rather a collection of haphazard experiences.

This is an older property with smaller rooms with lots of amenities to make up for the somewhat dated design.

On arrival (we self drove) the valet took our car, but there was no staff to assist with luggage. Of course, this caused concern when we checked in as the staff had to go “find the luggage” in the car that had already been parked.

We booked a Sea View room but when we checked in, there was a skyscraper under construction that partially obstructed the sea view. Of interest was that the view looked nothing like the view on the website. There was a slider door to the balcony but it was permanently locked. I attempted to get house keeping and the bell staff to open it, but after two requests were ignored / not responded to, I gave up. Of course, since I had tipped the bellman to deal with the problem, I wasn't very impressed when they didn't follow up.

Glassware from the room was not replaced once used by housekeeping. Restaurants were "completely full" when we walked in, despite seats being available in the lounge. There wasn’t much concern about the well being of our stay when we checked out at the front desk. They did not even bother to ask. It wasn’t exactly a busy check out time at 7 AM either.

I posted a similar review on the SPG website but didn’t get any results other than the general mothership statements that management would address the issues with their staff.

We paid less than the resorts on Saddiyat Island but we would most certainly stay there (and not here) next time. Although resort is in the title, please don’t be fooled. Despite a small articifial beach, this is not a resort by any modern sense of the word.

Recommend looking elsewhere if wanting a beachy experience.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
ThomasVanOpstal, General Manager at Sheraton Abu Dhabi Hotel & Resort, responded to this reviewResponded February 19, 2013

Dear World Traveler,

Thank you for posting a review of our hotel on tripadvisor.

Needless to say that I was very disappointed when reading about your experience and can certainly emphasize on your frustration.

While there are certain structural issues that are difficult to address others such as service quality, efficiency and friendliness of associates should not exist and while we are normally praised for our service delivery we have obviously failed on this occasion and I would like to apologies for that.

I will personally follow up on your comments and ensure that the relevant process changes are taking place to avoid such issues to re-occur in the future. Since I am unable to find your contact details to discuss this further I would appreciate if you could contact me directly as I would like to find a way to make up for the discomfort you have experienced.

I do hope that we will have the opportunity to receive you again in the future and prove to you that the experience you have had with us was an exception and certainly not the norm.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to share with us the details of your stay with us.

Deputy General Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,610)

Reviewed February 15, 2013

Dated Hotel & Tired, if you get a sea view you get the pleasure of a building site to view and because the site operates nearly 24/7 you get the noise of industrial vehicles and there reversing alarms.
The WiFi is intermittent at best and useless if you need a VPN service
The Music from the "beach resort" on a friday and saturday is disruptive if your trying to work.
The food in La Mama is great but unless your under 25 and attractive its difficult to get the attention of the Matre D for another glass of Red..
The Staff in the business lounge are superb as are housekeeping staff who do their best to make your stay pleasant. its a 5 Star Hotel it should 3 Star at best.

Room Tip: Dont get a Sea View !!!!!
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business

Dear Mr. Tooley,

Thank you for leaving a review of our hotel on tripadvisor.

I was of course very disappointed to hear your comments about certain aspects of your stay with us and while there is little that can be done in regards to structural issues I am sorry that you did not enjoy your time in the hotel.

I will look into your comments about the WIFI system, we recently made certain changes as we are now offering free WIFI in our lobby space and Club Rooms and this may have impacted the network for a short while.

The music that we put over the weekends in our resort area is “lounge music” which has been started on our guest request in order to give them a relaxation feel. We normally keep the sound level quite low in order not to disturb anyone and will ensure this is strictly followed in the future.

Your comments about our associates have been well noted and will be discussed internally.

I would like to remain at your disposal should your travels take you back to Abu Dhabi to personally ensure of your comfort and prove you that your recent experience was not the norm in our hotel but on the contrary an exception.

Reviewed February 15, 2013

The Sheraton Hotel is well situated in down town. At this moment there is a building in construction behind it and there are working also during night. The staff is very frinedly and helpful, the full breakfast is really good and provides you with all you need including asian style breakfast, fresh fruits, a la minute eggs, salmon, vegetables. The rooms are not really big but comfortable also the bath rooms.

Room Tip: Take a Club room and you will get drinks and wine in the afternoon and also finger food.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business

Dear Customer,

Thank you for sharing your recent experience with us on tripadvisor.

I was pleased to see that your enjoyed your overall stay with us and that our associates took good care of you and ensured of your comfort throughout your visit.

The breakfast is indeed quite popular amongst our customers and I was happy to read that you enjoyed its variety.

I hope that we will have the pleasure of your visit again in the future and remain at your disposal for any assistance you may need.

Reviewed February 14, 2013

Had the pleasure of staying here on my way to Ruwais.... I like this place, it has a certain old world charm about it, nicely decoated, more of an old fashined style hotel but with all the modern facilities that you want. Desk staff are polite, chatty... Rooms are a nice size, great large bed, all looking in good condition and very clean. Lovely choice of restaurants along with a tavern bar joined on. Out the back is a nice pool with another bar. Great gym facilities - most hotels do the minimum, not the Sheraton great gym . Have been back 6 or so times now, ...... go visit, you are missing out !!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo

Dear Beaufontboy,

Thank you for sharing your feedback about our hotel on tripadvisor.

I was very happy to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and have returned several times.

Your comments have all been well noted and will be shared with our associates.

I would appreciate if you could contact me directly for your next visit as it would be a pleasure for me to meet with you.

Reviewed February 7, 2013

Sadly only stayed over one night,but was very pleased with our first impressions.The room was clean and comfortable on the third floor overlooking the entrance and the busy road,but no disturbance.The hotel appears to have different floors for guests needs eg: smoking rooms etc.ours had a fair bit of space given over to desk working area almost it's own office not needed for social overnighters like us.Bathroom fabulous,went In a line like a separate corridor behind the wardrobes and entrance hall.
Outside the building looks old compared to others around and they are building nearby,looked around the pool area and would have eaten there but the rain kept returning so we ate and drank in the English pub it was okay and the manager offered to get coffees from the lobby for some of our party.
Food and service in the Italian restaurant was great,definitely recommend.Open plan kitchen you can see it all prepared and piping hot.Breakfast not so happy with wide selection but apart from the smoothie,juice,fruit and coffee was not delighted with the rest of the hot cooked selection,it was cold and bread was stale.
I guess you can't win them all.I didn't have a lot of time otherwise I would have got someone to help sort out.Hope for better weather next time so we could enjoy the other facilities.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
ThomasVanOpstal, General Manager at Sheraton Abu Dhabi Hotel & Resort, responded to this reviewResponded February 10, 2013

Dear Bridget,

Thank you for posting a review of your recent experience with us on tripadvisor.

I was delighted to see that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you found our associates to be attentive and friendly.

I was surprised by your comments on our breakfast spread which is normally a highlight for most of our visitors and I will review the same with our Executive Chef.

I do hope that we will have the pleasure of receiving you soon again in Abu Dhabi and remain at your disposal to personally take care of all the arrangements.

Once again thank you for your time and warm regards

Reviewed February 1, 2013

Well, it's a splendor of UAE. The xmass tree welcome us in the lobby (i think it's 15m or so). The room are great. We're staying in club room. the are a special basin where you can wash your butt after using toilet. But I think it was given to help moslem people when they want to wash their hand and feet before praying. But I broke my travelling adapter since the electricity hub suddenly broken when I use hair dryer.
The pool is splendid.. and so does the lagoon. One of my friends enjoy many kind of sports in the lagoon. But the construction across the hotel beach is a bit annoying for our view.
The fitness centre is great. The equipment is in very good condition and since it's the same brand with my fitness centre, I have no trouble using it. The are also classes and I attend yoga class, though it's different than what I used do. I also enjoy the sauna and jacuzzi.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
ThomasVanOpstal, General Manager at Sheraton Abu Dhabi Hotel & Resort, responded to this reviewResponded February 5, 2013

Dear Hulupi,

Thank you for posting a review of our hotel on tripadvisor.

I was very pleased to see that you thoroughly enjoyed your time with us and appreciated the efforts made to give the hotel a nice Christmas feeling.

Your kind comments about our facilities have been well noted and I hope that we will have the pleasure to receive you again in the future.

Reviewed January 31, 2013

Great HTL, good food
The location of the hotel, oportunities and services ofered by the resort makes you charge your bateries, relax and feel good. The hotel has a nice area with swiming pool and place for childrens and also a nice beach
great area and shopping center.
Room are quite enought
I visit Abu Dhabi annually & wouldn't consider staying anywhere else - it really is a great location. Would highly recommend Club Level

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family

Dear Cico,

I firstly would like to thank you for sharing your feedback on your recent experience with us on tripadvisor.

I was very pleased to see that you had a very good stay with us and managed to enjoy many of the hotel’s facilities.

Your kind comments about the quality of our restaurants, food and service have been well noted and will be shared with our team.

Since you are prone to come back to Abu Dhabi, I would appreciate if you were to contact me directly to handle all arrangements personally.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to write a review of the hotel