“A good hotel”
Review of Beach Rotana

Beach Rotana
Ranked #25 of 128 Hotels in Abu Dhabi
Reviewed December 6, 2007

We stayed in a club room for 1 week. This entitles you to breakfast, fruit in room, use of beach/sports facilities, afternoon tea and cakes, 4 drinks each in the evening plus snacks. Combined with the superior size room and the private check in / out this makes the club room rate good value for money. I was impressed with the overall standard of the hotel. The range of restaurants (8)was exceptional, Italian (good) Indian (excellent) Trader Vics (poor), were the ones we tried. Trader Vics produced a burnt scallop starter and tried to justify this by saying it was done on a grill. Really? Like I care how you burnt it? The lobby area had a violinist and pianist playing twice in the evening during our stay, who were very capable classical musicians. Generally the sports/beach area was compact but very well equipped with a sensible size pool, tennis courts, gym, squash, and spa. Service everywhere was good, bordering on the over attentive!

Stayed: November 2007
There are newer reviews for Beach Rotana

Reviewed December 3, 2007

We have recently come back from a 2 week stay at the Beach Rotana Abu Dhabi and had a fantastic time.
We upgraded to a Junior Club Rotana Suite, which was great. Really spacious room with large balcony over looking the sea (the view isnt fantastic....yet...there are building two large hotels on the island opposite being built) The room had a large bathroom with Jacuzzi tub and double shower with one of those lovely big rain-fall style showers. Fresh flowers and complimentry fruit in the room everyday. I liked having a bathrobe and slippers in the room too very comfy! Room service was good (but the usual over priced) If you need to buy things like drinks or snacks you can nip into the Abu Dhabi mall which you can access from the hotel (next to Indigo the indian restaurant) and on the ground level there is a huge Co-op supermarket where you can stock up (can of fizzy drink is only 20p much cheaper than the mini bar)

The pool area was nice - plenty loungers, pool open until 10pm, sauna steam room jacauzzi and changing rooms next to the pool - watch if you take bags of money down at night. Abu Dhabi is very safe, but still be aware. I was naive and left my bag open and got AED 1000.00 pinched...but to be fair I dont think it was someone who worked at the hotel as they are jsut too nice. Stay here and you'll see what I mean! Mostly philipino people so it doesnt really feel like you're in the middle east but I dont think i've met people so friendly, polite and helpful. Complimentry fruit served while your basking in the sun and the waiter service on the beach and next to the pool was great. I liked that they came round with ice creams too just as you feel as your about to melt (36degrees in november is warm when its -4 at home!)

Breakfast was included in the upgrade (worth it as I believe its approx £13 a head each time you have breakfast) which can be had either in the executive lounge (level 18 - club members only) or in the Rosebuds restaurant. We prefered Rosebuds as there was much more choice (if not too much choice....wear expanding trousers at breakfast time ;o)
Also included in the upgrade, all available in the executive lounge were high tea at 4pm, canapes at 7pm and complimentry cocktails (they say cocktails but mean alcholic drinks not things with sparklers and funky umbarellas...and its 4 drinks per person) To be honest the executive lounge wasnt my cup of tea as i feel uncomfortable being fussed over and felt i couldnt relax around businessmen as it didnt make it feel like a holiday. You must wear trousers and shoes (not sandles) in most places, and the lounge is one of them. You will find most hotels in Abu Dhabi have a lot of business people, because unlike Dubai, Abu Dhabi is 100% Oil & Gas where as Dubai benefits mainly on tourism, although Abu Dhabi is a great holiday destination I hadnt realised there would be as many business people/meetings etc.

Club Rotana Rewards card is a must - it cost about £100 (I think) and for this you get a dining certificate worth AED 250, 50% discount on total food bill (if 2 people - 33% if 3 people, 25% if 4 people and so on) 15% discount on beverages, 40% off accomodation on certain hotels, late check out up to 1800hrs, and some other bonus'. Worth the money for food and drink discount alone.

Speaking of Food the hotel has plenty of restaurants (best to book if if you eat out anywhere really, as most places in and outwith the hotel get booked up quick especially at weekends)
We tried the German (Brauhaus) the Italian (Pregos), Trader Vics, Rosebuds (They do a different themed buffet eveynight...really good - dont have to book rosebuds) There is also a fish restaunant on the beach/Pier called Fins, Rodeo Grill (menu looked nice for steaks) A japanese place (cant remember the name) indigo the indian - looked very nice, bay view which is the pool bar.

The Spa - Aaaaahhhh the spa, sooooo nice and one of the most relaxing part of the holiday and worth the money. I went for an olive frankensense scrub and it was an hour of bliss. Boyfriend went for a massage and said it was really good too, and not one of those ones where they beat the hell out of you and you come out aching! The spa is open until 10pm so I would recommend going later at night and having an early night one night to feel the benefit of it. They do a special anti-jet lag treatment which sounded nice.

Abu Dhabi Mall, joined onto the hotel - Has some decent shops but better going to either the Marina Mall or Al Whadi Mall - a short taxi journey.

Taxis - take hotel taxis and they average about AED 30 anywhere in Abu Dhabi (except the Airport) go for the cheaper ones (yellow and white - soon all be changed to silver) and it works out about 80p - cheaper than chips!

Trips - you can book trips with the conceirge desk in the hotel- we went on a day trip round Abu Dhabi (0900-1300hrs)which we found interesting (dont do the day after the spa as I felt exahusted and found it hard to look enthusiastic even though i was interested) and also booked the Jeep Desert Safari (1500-2200hrs) - both were worth doing, and we done them both on the same day - dont eat before going in the jeep as it is bumpy and you get chucked about the jeep but was good fun. Also when you do this you get the chance to go camel riding, sand boarding, shisha smoking, henna tattoos (although they last about 2 weeks and get a bit itchy) and you also get an BBQ style meal and entertained by a georgous bellydancer

Eating outwith hotel - Try LE BEAUJOLAIS at the Novotel, doesnt look nothing special but fantastic steaks and other french food, after the Brahaus this was my favorite place. Also try Oceans Diner in le Royal Meridian - very trendy. BamBau (as much as you can eat Chinese) in the Abu Dhabi Marina just come out of the rotana hotel and turn right and walk along (just before le meridian and the marina is on your right) walk further along to Le meridian if you like, also has some nice restaurants. Also you could try Hemmingways or the Jazz bar at The Hilton - Hemmingways is a great mexican and although we didnt try the jazz bar it looked good - both are first come first served so go early - both have great live music too! We tried a chinese where local people eat called Oasis - a bit more down to earth, serves no alcohol but lots of good value for money food four of us with lots of soft drinks heaps of food (starters and mains) came to about £25 and we coulnt finish it - too much food!

Golfing -My partner went to the Sheraton ABu Dhabi - im not a golfer but this course looked fantastic. You can hire Callaway Clubs, shoes and air conditioned / sat nav golf buggies - he had a great day and said it was one of the best days of the holiday (well to a certain degree, I wasnt there....he missed me really!!) He went alone but was joined up with another couple which I think he was glad of. So if your a lone golfer go anyway, it looked like fun!

Horse racing - Didnt really enjoy this as it wasnt well publicised and we didnt really understand where we could and couldnt go. Also I dont think you can bet so, well whats the point?

Abu Dhabi Gold Souk - Nothing special - if you want nice stuff go to the Old Gold Souk in Dubai - dont go at rush hour took us 3 hours to get there - nightmare! Haggle, and dont be nervous about trying stuff on they love it - ask them twice for a price and then ask for a final price. If you really want it for cheap say you'll look elsewhere and i'll bet they come down in price again. We picked a ring at a shop called Bishwari (aka GB gems) - Tip - if you're making big purchases abroad tell your bank before you go and also you may have to withdraw money as your bank can put a limit to how much you can spend a day while abroad- we had 2 trips and 2-3 hours of hassle trying to sort it with our bank in order to buy a very special ring for me (i dont do nothing by halves but it was getting to be a bit of a joke)
Dubai was nice, if you like that New York feel with Beaches thrown in for good measure, but Abu Dhabi would be a much better choice by far. Trust me book it - go - enjoy it and come back relaxed and tell everyone on trip advisor how much you loved it! :o)

6  Thank nicolaaberdeen84
Reviewed November 24, 2007

We have just returned from a 10 day stay at the Beach Rotana Hotel and Towers. Having travelled extensively throughout the Middle East I feel that we are more than qualified to comment on the excellence of this hotel. We had booked a Club Room in the Tower, which allowed us the use of the Executive Lounge. We could have breakfast here, they served afternoon tea, and then in the evening there were canapes, provided by the various restaurants wiithin in the hotel. There were also free drinks available. The service that we received from all the staff was absolutely first class. We would like to make a special mention of Geoffrey, the manager of the executuve lounge. The staff knew your name, what drinks you preferred, and overall made this holiday very special. The room we had was one of the best we have stayed in, the bathroom was superb, jacuzzi bath, double shower cubicle. Again the service provided by our room attendant could not be faulted. Fresh flowers in our room throughout our stay, fresh fruit every day, orchids on our pillow every night and fresh orchids in the bathroom every day. We did join the Club Rotana Rewards scheme, avfter reading other trip advisors comments. This paid for itself after our third evening meal. The cost is 750 Dirhams (£92) it entitles the card bearer to eat free in any of the restaurants in the hotel, while eating with another person. You receive discount off drinks and also services provided by the hotel, ie hairdresser and spa. If there was anything negative about the hotel it would only be the size of the beach, but again, it was more than adequate with plenty of sunbeds, and the staff were always willing to place these wherever you wanted them We have arrived back home totally relaxed and are all ready planning our return visit back to this superb hotel.

4  Thank bobbybonga
Reviewed November 18, 2007

Having stayed at the Beach Rotana previously I knew what to expect and if anything the standards are even better. The downside of this was the hotel is busier and you really have make reservations for all restaurants. But although the hotel was busy the pool area was quiet and very relaxing. Great gym facilities as well. For the shoppers amongst you the hotel is adjacent to the Abu Dhabi Mall, and only a 7AED (2$) taxis ride from the Marina mall.
I am a regular visitor to the UAE and usually Dubai, but now prefer Abu Dhabi, it is less hectic, little traffic congestion and not a building site.
Remember you can also purchase duty free alcohol in the arrivals hall in Abu Dhabi.
If you are around for a few days you should consider buying the UAE entertainment voucher book which contains 2 for 1 meal vouchers for almost all UAE hotel eateries, etc.

1  Thank Brian21
Reviewed November 14, 2007

I emailed ahead to say we weould be arriving early and was told an early check in had been arranged for us, it hadnt.

We waited 2 hours to be seen to our room, it wasnt a great experience in jeans and jumpers.

Our room was very dissapointing as it had a view of constuction work and no balcony. I complained and was swiftly moved to a better room.

The beach was a little dissapoining and the sun went down at 4.00pm, not the hotels fault.

We loved the Italian restuarant and Trader Vics but were not that impressed with the others.

I think I have very high standards and I think this hotel struggled to meet them. It was a business hotel trying to be a holiday hotel and vice versa.

2  Thank AMCRHarrogate
Reviewed October 31, 2007

Just back from a week's stay with my partner, hotel is great, very luxurious. Staff very friendly and attentive, overall service was great. Super restaurants, it's well worth getting Rotana Rewards Card. Had a ball, and would definitely return!

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 23, 2007

Just got back from an amazing 6 nights staying at this hotel and I can't find a single bad thing to say about it.

We arrived late at night and were very warmly welcomed. For some reason we were upgraded to a suite in the tower wing, which was a pleasant surprise as the room was amazing! I can't imagine the 'basic' rooms being too shabby somewhere like this, but our room was gorgeous. Enormous marble bathroom with a huge 'rain' shower and jacuzzi. The main room was huge with a good sized balcony facing the sea.

We were on holiday purely for unwinding so were very lazy and didn't leave our hotel at all for the whole time. There are lots of restaurants in the hotel if you are feeling lazy you can eat somewhere different each evening and not get bored of going to the same place. All the food was excellent, but eating in Finz was a special treat on teh last night - get a table on the deck over the water and eat amazing seafood with the warm breeze refreshing you. (Oh yes - and the buffet breakfast is brilliant - stock up then and you won't need to eat until evening).

I also went to the Zen spa to have a treatment which I'd thoroughly recommend. Prices are good - cheaper than London and I had an hour long aromatherapy massage in the most luxurious surroundings for about £40.

The pool isn't enormous but it's big enough and thankfully they have a kids pool too so there aren't too many children getting under your feet. The beach again isn't huge but is big enough and the sea is lovely and clean and warm.

I think what stood out most was the amazing service there. Every single person we dealt with - cleaners, reception staff, spa staff, waiters, those running the beach bars were incredibly friendly, helpful and polite. It was lovely.

Abu Dhabi mall is connected to the hotel and is worth a mooch around - it's useful to know in the basement is a supermarket so you can buy water and snacks etc adn avoid paying exorbitant minibar prices.

I'd go back in a second !

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled as a couple