“Christmas in Abu Dhabi”

Le Meridien Abu Dhabi
Ranked #64 of 128 Hotels in Abu Dhabi
Reviewed January 12, 2014

We spent 15 nights at Le Meridien in Abu Dhabi and were very pleased that we had done. The location of the hotel is great, with access to both beach and pool. All the staff there were extremely friendly and efficient, Anastasios (assistant restaurant manager) and Ramon who was also a waiter were very helpful. The buffet breakfasts were wonderful, and the Meridien village where you had access to Italian, pub, and thai restaurants were also friendly and informal with the garden area for additional seating. The rooms do need a bit of a refurbishment, as they are rather tired, but we did have a balcony which was handy for sitting out in the evenings. They do however have a fridge, which is a bonus. The reception was homely with lots of groups of sofas and tables, unlike some other hotels we visited which were extremely clinical and lacking in atmosphere. The Abu Dhabi mall is less than 5 minutes walk away, which was extremely handy. Overall, a good trip, and yes, I would go back there again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the beach, they generally also have a balcony.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
Tourya M, Public Relations Manager at Le Meridien Abu Dhabi, responded to this reviewResponded January 22, 2014

Dear Ellen H,

Thank you very much for sharing your views and kind comments of our hotel. We are delighted to hear that your stay was comfortable and that you enjoyed our facilities and location. We will ensure your kind words are shared with our associates. It will truly be a pleasure for us to welcome you again soon.

There are newer reviews for Le Meridien Abu Dhabi

Reviewed January 12, 2014

This hotel is dirty, smokey and falling apart. Starwood should be ashamed of themselves.

I was really excited to stay at this hotel because the website looked awesome and my friends and I were looking forward to relaxing in the spa and on the beach. Don't be fooled - the hotel is no where near as nice as it appears on the site.

We arrived as a school trip. The lobby is decent, albeit smokey. I got my keys and went to my room. On the way to my room I encountered several guests openly smoking on a non-smoking floor as service stood by and watched, vacuums were strewn everywhere, garbage room was left open for guests to see the dumpsters on the way to the room, everything from the elevator to the carpet was beat up and old.

As I entered the room, I immediately picked up a weird smell. The hotel put me in a twin room and refused to change it. The furniture was beat up, the shower dirty. I was so grossed out, I checked the bed for bed bugs (none, thank goodness) and slept on top of the sheets in my clothing. The walls are paper thin - I could hear my next door neighbor loud and clear throughout the night.

We went down to the spa to take a look. Not much better. The tile was cracked, dirty and had black spots all over it. Towels strewn everywhere. Fake plastic decor. We left.

The only decent part of this hotel was the Thai restaurant on the compound and the breakfast.

Adding insult to injury, when I checked out the hotel accused me of hitting the minibar. I hadn't touched it. If they had my credit card on file, I have no doubt they would have charged me. If it were any other hotel, I would assume and innocent mistake. Here, I think it's a racket.

Do yourself a favor and stay somewhere else.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank LindsayPaige
Tourya M, Public Relations Manager at Le Meridien Abu Dhabi, responded to this reviewResponded January 19, 2014

Dear LindsayPaige,

Thank You for taking your time to post your thoughts. We regret that you found the hotel not to your liking. We have provided our care and services to many discerning guests for the past 35 years. Le Méridien Abu Dhabi is one of the first hotels built in Abu Dhabi and we believe this adds to its charm. Our associates always make effort to offer a high quality service to our guests, which we are proud off.
We do hope that we will have a chance to welcome you again in the future at our hotel.

Nemo Acimovic,

Reviewed January 11, 2014

I stayed here for 3 nights in January and had a very mixed experience.
first the good bits; the staff on reception and the bars/restaurants were pleasant, capable and efficient, a real asset to the hotel. Breakfast was excellent although the only meal I took in the hotel.
The reception is decorated in an old fashioned style but does grow on you.

The rooms were a bit dog-eared and in need of refurb.
Most annoying was the lack of a decent desk space in the room and the need to sign on to the wifi every time you opened a device. Oh and the wardrobe! why give us a small wardrobe, then fill half of it with an iron and ironing board holder that couldn't be moved? I ended up hanging my shirts on the door surround.

Lastly, the noise! why oh why does the hotel allow guests to stay in the courtyard till 4am every night? I didn't sleep and frankly got really grumpy as a result. Reception simply said the security staff couldn't cope. Unacceptable!

Not a good example of the group I am afraid.

Room Tip: choose a room away from the courtyard, get one overlooking the beach or the road, at least you will...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business

Dear topfuel42,

My colleagues and I would like to thank you for your review of Le Méridien Abu Dhabi.
I’m happy to learn that the service on the reception and the bars/restaurants met your expectations be assured that your positive feedback about the breakfast at La Brasserie will be forwarded to the Chefs.
On the other hand, we regret you did not have the soundproof to your liking. We will also consider your valuable comments regarding the wardrobe. In the meantime, we will look forward for another chance to welcome you again to our establishment.

Nemo Acimovic,

Reviewed January 9, 2014

I've read several reviews on this site with people moaning about this hotel being "tired" and "old" but it seems these said people seem to be unaware that Le Meriden Abu Dhabi is the oldest hotel in the city!! We've stayed 3 times at the 5* Beach Rotana which is about 500m away, its brand new - the people moaning about Le Meridien being old (because it is!!!) should go and stay there!

Anyway enough of my rant, back to Le Meridien! Firstly Ibrahim on the front desk was BRILLIANT! We had a slight issue when we checked in due to my wife having her maiden name on the booking (it was too risky changing her passport in time so we left it) no problem, quickly sorted when we explained, no breaking the rules in the UAE!! Give the man a pay rise ASAP!

Also the Food & Beverage manager was great, we had a tiny issue with one of the restaurants (nothing major) and he sorted the issue without bother and even bought us a drink! I forget his name but say thank you to him again on my behalf!

Even our housekeeper was brilliant, always happy to help! I can't remember his name either, but i think he was from Thailand, he had REALLY spiky hair and was always smiling! We were in room 414 over the festive period, again say thankyou again to him (and give him a pay rise too!!) and also to the concierge staff for bringing me ice constantly for my injured arm!

We will be back!!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Wenty940

Dear Wenty940,

Firstly I would like to thank you for your very positive review of Le Méridien Abu Dhabi. It is such a pleasure to know that you have a memorable experience at our hotel.

I’m happy to learn that the service of our staff met your expectations and that the facilities made your stay pleasant. Please be assured that your good words will be shared with our associates.
We will be more than happy to welcome you for your next visit to Abu Dhabi.

Reviewed January 2, 2014

As one of the original 5* Hotels in the City, the Hotel still retains it's original charm and indeed some of its original features eg wood panelled lifts. This Hotel does not have the over the top decor of some of its neighbours but still retains the charm of a top class Hotel. Superb food outlets along with a couple of bars all serving the best quality in town means you don't have to go far if you don't want to. The Hotels location alongside its private beach is also a huge plus, with the pristine Abu Dhabi Mall just down the road. If you want gaudy over the top glitz this is not the Hotel for you, but if you want old fashioned class then book it.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Austin G
Tourya M, Public Relations Manager at Le Meridien Abu Dhabi, responded to this reviewResponded January 8, 2014

Dear Austin G,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience of our hotel. We are delighted to hear that your stay was comfortable and that you enjoyed our facilities and location.
Our commitment is to offer the best service as possible and your review is a great testimony that shows that we are succeeding in our mission. We will keep on offering this highest quality service.
It will truly be a pleasure for us to welcome you again soon.

Reviewed December 27, 2013

If the food is generally good, the beach though small is clean and comfortable, the spa area is impressive though not always clean the outside noise and all-smoking area do spoil the overall impression. The rooms and furniture are not new but acceptable. It does look as if it used to be a luxurious place, but not anymore.

Room Tip: Both sides are noisy, it is hard to suggest anything.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Tanya Y
Tourya M, Public Relations Manager at Le Meridien Abu Dhabi, responded to this reviewResponded December 30, 2013

Dear Tanya Y,

Thank you very much for sharing your views and kind comments of our hotel. We are delighted to hear that your stay was comfortable and that you enjoyed our facilities and location. Our hotel was indeed one of the first built in town, however we strive hard to upkeep its appearance in order for it to be appealing for our discerning guests. We believe it is a comfortable hotel with a lot of character and facilities in the offering. You will be pleased to hear that improvement plans for the hotel are currently underway
We would like to stress that your observations will definitely taken into consideration in order to improve our level of services.
It will be a pleasure for us to welcome you again in the future.

Reviewed December 25, 2013

We stayed in this hotel for three nights in month of December. Hotel on one side is located on a busy street close to a Mall and shopping area ,on the other has a nice beach area with several restaurants on premises. It has private beach area where you can relax and enjoy sun shine. Reception area is well decorated.Rooms are in a long corridor with lift in center of two wings. Rooms are comfortable and well furnished. You can ask for a beach facing room . Ask for a room on 4th/5th floor for a good view. Toiletries was at minimum. Hotel provides option for no room service for credit of AED 25 coupons which can be used in a limited number of restaurants. We could not use the coupons as most of these restaurants are open only in afternoon. Service was OK .

Room Tip: 4th/5th floor Beach facing
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Ashok M

Dear Ashok M,

Thank you very much for staying at our hotel during your visit in Abu Dhabi. Your feedback is very valuable for us and we would like to thank you for writing a review. We are glad that you found the room, the beach and reception area at your liking.

Indeed we are proposing to our guests to participate to the program “Make a Green Choice” . This program permits to reward directly the guests whenever they decline housekeeping services in order to help us conserve natural resources. The guests receive a choice of rewards: $5 at participating food and beverage venues, 500 SPG Starpoints or donate these points to UNICEF’s environmental work for children. Regarding the $5 voucher they can be redeemed in all our venues at any time except for breakfast.

We would be more than happy to welcome you again in the future.

Yours Sincerely,