“What Club Lounge.....”

Le Royal Meridien Abu Dhabi
Ranked #31 of 128 Hotels in Abu Dhabi
Reviewed March 12, 2011

I stayed at Le Royal Meridien Hotel, Abu Dhabi for a week at the end of November 2010 with my husband.
As we had booked a Club Room we were picked up at the airport and taken directly to the hotel where check in was quick and smooth. Our Club bedroom was large and well maintained with a view over the pool.
As previous reviewers have commented, the Club Lounge doesn’t exist. Having stayed at Le Royal Meridien Hotel and the Grosvenor House Hotel in Dubai in Club rooms we were expecting a lounge purely for Club Room residents only. This Club lounge is just part of a public piano lounge area where the staff were more interested in serving other visitors to the lounge. We were always kept waiting and were never made to feel welcome. The drinks available was very restricted and generally the quality and selection of canapés available differed greatly each night. The extra cost for the club room was not worth it at this hotel.
As we arrived quite late at night, we had room service on our first night which was very good. Other than room service, we only ate in the buffet restaurant when it served a seafood themed buffet which was excellent. There was very limited information in the bedroom and around the hotel about the restaurants. Promotion of the hotel restaurants was very poor and as a result we ate out in the city most nights.
The pool area was well maintained and there were lots of sun loungers and towels. The only down side with the pool area is the number of high rise buildings which constantly put shade over the pool area so you end up chasing the sun.
This hotel is in a great position for a city break with shopping malls and restaurants on the door step and is very close to the Corniche.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank WendyBurger1966
bkhan10, General Manager at Le Royal Meridien Abu Dhabi, responded to this reviewResponded March 26, 2011

Dear WendyBurger1966,

I applaud the gratitude for taking the time to express yourself by writing this review.

Your comments related to royal club lounge are noted. We would like to take this opportunity to enlighten you that we are working on it, and will update you about it in near future.

Regarding the visibility of information related to restaurants in the rooms, the writing desk inside our rooms contains an Information News Magazine about the hotel, which is updated from time to time.

Le Royal Meridien has a selection of 11 delectable restaurants which are rated as one of the best in Abu Dhabi. Amalfi (Italian Restaurant) has won several awards in the city for its wondersome Italian food, and live entertainment by Italian band. Al Fanar (The only roof top revolving restaurant with fine dining experience in city) provides ecstasy of panoramic view, with culinary delights of Europe, and is the only one of it's kind in Abu Dhabi. The Irish pub PJ O'Reilly's immerses its visitors into 'craic'.

I would like to take this opportunity to invite you and your family to unwind an inimitable experience through lunch or dinner in the restaurant of your choice with complements of Le Royal Meridien. Please let me know about your next visit to call the arrangements.

We will look forward to welcome you back promising a great personalized experience...

Le Meridien: An active discovery awaits...

Write a ReviewReviews (1,285)

Reviewed February 25, 2011

We couldn't have wished for a more relaxing weekend. Very friendly service and many special touches that were unexpected. A great value weekend deal.

We stayed for 2 days, the weather was ok, hotel stuff are very friendly, guest relation executive did a great job, the room was spacious, pool was amazing,

I tried the main restaurant and the Italian one, both are up to the standard.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank joeboy1200kw

Dear joeboy1200kw,

It is great to read your feedback regarding our weekend package, service delivery, and associates. My team has been pounding quite a lot on making a good weekend package and your feedback will be conveyed to them.

Upon your next visit, I will suggest you to try Al Fanar, which is the only rooftop fine dining revolving restaurant in Abu Dhabi. It’s Friday Bubbly Bruch among the most famous brunches in the city. For more information, please call +971 2 674 2020

My team will look forward to welcome you once again in Le Royal Meridien.

Reviewed February 24, 2011

I was in Abu Dhabi for 9 nights and was very pleased with the choice that I made to stay here. Arriving at 12.30am the staff were very welcoming and processed my check-in quickly so I could get to my room for some much needed sleep. Even though I had requested a non-smoking room, I was put on a smoking floor, which I didn't realise until the 3rd day and didn't really want to make a fuss over a change. I would have prefered a room overlooking the Corniche, instead I had a couple of small windows looking down the street. As I didn't spent much time there, it was OK as the room was comformtable and clean. The L'Opera Brasserie staff were always attentive at breakfast time. I had room service most nights but the quality of the food was excellent. I even received a special dessert delivered on Valentines Day - not expected but much appreciated !! The staff were also very helpful in locating ATMs and making arrangements for transport to and from Yas Island for me instead of having to catch a taxi.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank HW2008

Dear HW2008,

I applaud the gratitude for giving Le Royal Meridien Abu Dhabi a chance to serve you. Your feedback is very valuable for us, as it helps us to improve the services and recognize the best with-in our associates. It has helped us to learn your preferences which will help us to personalize your future stays in the hotel.

The preferences of sea-view & non-smoking room are subject to availability. In your case we feel that these preferences are very important essence for you. On your return to Le Royal Meridien, I will enhance the experience of your stay by upgrading you to non-smoking deluxe suite with sea-view upon booking a classic room. This offer is subject to 7 days prior booking.

My team will look forward to welcome you once again promising a better personalized experience.

Reviewed February 18, 2011

Went after long time back to the hotel, this time to enjoy a dinner in their Asian Restaurant Soba. In short, wasn't worth the parking fee they charge now (AED 15)!

Seems hotels in Abu Dhabi are becoming greedy. Parking is charged more and more, even for Restaurant guests and when you comment on it you only get silly excuses.

The Restaurant itself was not even close to the awards displayed on their walls, maybe "once upon a time". Apart from the food that was served warm, far from hot, the service was quite poor for such a hotel. I know Meridien different.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 6, 2011

My wife and I have recently returned from a 4 day stay at LRM in AbuDhabi. The positives include, very friendly and helpful staff and top class housekeeping. We enjoyed dinner at both the revolving restaurant on the 33rd floor and on the hotel's yacht (it's really a motor launch).

The previous reviewer is absolutely right about the club lounge- there isn't one. Royal Club guests can enjoy complimentary drinks in the lobby lounge between 7 and 9 in the evening where a light buffet is also served (soft drinks and teas/coffees are complimentary all day in that lounge for Royal Club guests). Not all drinks are complimentary though- I was advised by staff that while the house suvignon blanc was complimentary, the house chardonnay was not. Absolutely no written information is available as to what the club guests are entitled to within this lounge. Internet use was free both in the business centre and in-room for club room guests.

The piano bar on the 3rd floor of the deluxe tower was good fun insofar as it was frequented by Arabic nationals who like my wife, and I enjoyed the belly dancer. Be aware that the price of drinks varies depending upon which bar/restaurant they are sold. During the day the Irish pub which is part of the hotel offered a pint of beer for 19 dirhams between 2 and 7 in the evening (a glass of wine was also 19 dirhams). The Piano bar was cheaper than the other bars in the hotel but more expensive than the Irish bar. The average cost of a pint was about 35 dirhams plus 16% service charge and tax in the other hotel bars.

We enjoyed the swimming pool area whereby very comfortable loungers were on offer together with an abundance of fluffy towels.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ajmith
bkhan10, Manager at Le Royal Meridien Abu Dhabi, responded to this reviewResponded February 22, 2011

Dear ajmith,

We are extremely delighted to read that you enjoyed the diversity of our Food & Beverage outlets, and warmth of hospitality from our associates made your stay blissful. Your comments & suggestions are a valuable asset for us, which enables us to improve & personalize our services and recognize the best in our associates.

Your comments regarding the royal club lounge are noted, and we are looking into this matter by diversifying & improving the alcohol drinks selection.

We will look forward to welcome you back once again enthralling a better personalized experience.

Yours,
Le Royal Meridien Management.

Reviewed January 30, 2011

The property looks nice on the outside, but is fairly stock standard on the inside.

My biggest beef here is that a 'Royal Club' room at this property got me a small room on the 1st floor facing the road. I'm sorry, but a Club Room should be located on the top floors of the property. There is no separate lounge for Club guests. Instead the lobby lounge served this purpose. Club lounges should be separate and away from other guests. And like all other lounges I have been in, the lounge should afford unparalleled views - and not of the check-in counters at the lobby. It was also very inconvenient to have to sign for everything I ate and drank even if it was free.

Breakfast was not included (very disappointing) and my only saving grace is that they did not charge my room for the breakfast I did have - an oversight on their part.

The room was small but comfortable with a nice-ish bathroom. It was absolutely frigid though with no ability to raise the room temperature above 20 degrees. I generally hate air conditioning and as it was winter in Abu Dhabi, there was no need to have the room super chilled.

Staff were friendly and curteous without being spectacular. Pool was fairly non-descript.

Value for money was OK. But given I could have paid less for a normal room (and probably could have received a better one), it left me with a general negative feeling for this property.

I probably would not recommend staying here.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank CAN_in_AUS

Dear CAN_IN_AUS,

We thank you with everything we are for taking the time to express your comments by writing this review. It has helped us a great deal to learn your preferences.

Our property has 277 rooms which are highly diversified to cater the need of all kind of travelers. Management would like to offer you a complementary upgrade from classic or business room to serenity of spacious deluxe suite caressing the blissful views of Arabian Gulf, with breakfast for two. Please send us your next travel plan in order to call the necessary arrangements.

We will look forward to welcome you back with promise to unwind a great personalized experience...

Le Royal Meridien Management

Reviewed January 20, 2011

Stayed this past week at the Royal Meridian. I am platinum Starwood memeber and was upgraded to Delux suite. Rooms are very clean and large. All the staff go out of their way to help with anything. Many restaurant selections at the hotel. Would not suggest you do any laundry there. VERY expensive. Selection of Television channels is limited. Would highly recommend this property over the nearby Sheraton. I had stayed there previous weekend. Most comfortable best of the three hotels I have stayed in UAE.

Stayed: January 2011, traveled on business

Dear kpoconnor,

Management is thrilled to read that you have made Le Royal Meridien your top choice in Abu Dhabi! Your comments about hotel services are highly appreciated as they help us to improve our services, and enable us to look forward to serve you with better personalized experience.

We are glad that SPG Platinum Member benifits provided in the hotel meet your expectations. Your comments about pricing of laundry services are noted. We would highly appreciate if you can send us your contact details with in order to discuss this matter and resolve it to your expectations.

We will look forward to welcome our inimitable Elitier once again...

Yours,
Le Royal Meridien Management.