“Good hotel but could do better”

Le Royal Meridien Abu Dhabi
Ranked #30 of 128 Hotels in Abu Dhabi
Reviewed October 13, 2013

I recently stayed 3 nights in the hotel in one of their club rooms.

Check in was quick and painless but the information on what you are given with the club rooms was pretty non existent.

All that was advised was the time of the happy hour.

I have previously stayed in the club rooms in other Meridien hotels including their one in Dubai and you are generally given written details on what your room includes eg. Breakfast in the lounge, afternoon tea etc. none of this was given.

I was on a bed and breakfast rate but there was no mention of which restaurant your were permitted to use in the morning.

The hotel is undergoing some refurbishment at the moment, but the room renovations have been completed.

There is some work going on next to the lobby for a new restaurant and also on the 1st floor building a club lounge but these were not intrusive and shouldn't interfere with your stay.

All in quite good. They just need to get the information provided at check in up to scratch and it would have been perfect.

• Stayed: October 2013
Le Royal M, Director of PR and Marketing at Le Royal Meridien Abu Dhabi, responded to this reviewResponded October 20, 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your valuable feedback and we are glad that you liked our hotel and the recent experience. We have launched phase 01 of our redevelopment and you are welcome to experience the new front of the house, rooms, suites and restaurants currently live. We have noticed your concerns and concerned department head is notified to avoid any recurrence. We value your comments and appreciate your valuable time in posting this.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the brand new facilities soon.

Reviewed September 28, 2013

It may seem churlish to write a review of an hotel that was under renovation at the time of my visit but in some ways one would expect an hotel to compensate for the disruption but making that extra little effort, which did not really happen.

I arrived on an early morning flight from Tokyo where I had stayed for a week at one of the world’s best hotels (The Palace) and I’m afraid I was underwhelmed by the RM.

It was difficult for the limo driver to find the entrance, which was not where one would expect it to be and when we did find the temporary entrance, at 4am, I had to fight my way through drunken “ladies of the night” milling around and local youths who were seemingly very keen on obtaining their services. That extended to the lobby where one very drunken “lady” was staggering around, trying desperately to find her way out.

Anyway, check in was friendly and efficient and the suite we had booked (Room 228) was really nice – I cannot say more – everything one would expect was provided and Internet access was free, fast and effective. The room is as good as any I have stayed in apart from the strange Shower/Bath unit (see my photograph) which was very uncomfortable, structurally unstable, difficult to operate and with insufficient hot water. That apart, I have no complaints whatsoever with the room – well done Meridien!

Because of the hotel renovation, nearly all the food and beverage outlets were not operating except for a lobby lounge and one restaurant (Amalfi) which was quite a walk from the main hotel where food and beverage, in the evening, was distinctly limited in choice, average in quality and pricey. My steak and mashed potatoes was served lukewarm, presumably because we dined early and the staff were too busy setting up for a later buffet. This restaurant also does the main breakfast where staff are super friendly and efficient – the breakfast chef also makes a super omelette, something which is very, very rare in UAE hotels.

On our second evening, I have to admit that the excellent Kristof at Reception advised us of a franchised F&B outlet called Imigo which was not advertised or promoted at all when we arrived so we ate there, although it is really hidden away at the back of the hotel. It was truly excellent – thanks Kristof and the staff at Imigo. Why was this not advised to us on our arrival, I would ask? Bad management, I’m afraid.

There was also a pub of sorts set behind the hotel. It was called PJ’s but it was impossible to eat there because of the ridiculously loud booming music and the somewhat odd and noisy clientele. For the sake of political correctness, I’ll say no more. The vomit on the path close to this outlet, near the pool, presumably deposited from the previous night’s revelries and which nobody had seen fit to clean up for the two days I stayed, shows a distinct lack of proper management of the area.

As I have said, I am told that the hotel is to reopen soon after their renovations – it would have been nice to have been told of these renovations and the very limited choice available, before we booked to stay. Having said that, the room rate was low so I suppose the attitude from the hotel would be “what do you expect at that price”?

I am afraid to say that we were not very impressed with our visit with the exception of Kristof and the friendly front office staff – let’s hope that all you future visitors have a better time than we did when you stay in the “new” Royal Meridien, Abu Dhabi.

Room Tip: No idea - have a good look after the renovation.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 20, 2013

I was in the PJ last week and had a great time with my friends. They have different types of beers, live music and friendly staffs. Unfortunately, I had a little incident where I lost one of my valuable earring and i was pessimistic that i am gonna find it. However, the assistant bar manager, Mahesh helped me out to look for it along with some other people. I was impressed with all their initiative and the willingness to help their guests. At the end, not long after I left the bar, I got a call that they found my earring. I was happy cos it is still in a good condition and finally I went home with a smile. Thanks to all the bar staffs. :)

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
Le Royal M, Director of PR and Marketing at Le Royal Meridien Abu Dhabi, responded to this reviewResponded September 23, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your kind feedback and we are glad that you have enjoyed your experience at PJs recently.

We will definitely pass on the compliments to Mahesh and team and this will encourage them to do more for sure.

Thank you again for your patronage and look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed September 19, 2013

I am reviewing this based on what I experienced. While I stayed there, the hotel was undergoing renovations, which made things not work as well as they should (especially the elevators/lifts). You could see some of the progress, and when the renovations are done this hotel could be magnificent, but until then, I suggest you avoid it.

The lobby was OK for a 3.5 star hotel, not this one. Staff were wonderful, but the renovations meant they could not be efficient. The main tower has 4 lifts, and only 2 were working (to say they were slow is a major understatement). In addition, the restaurants were not convenient to the lobby (because of the renovations).

Le Meridien has employed Jerome Sans as its curator. He has created a playlist of 1500 songs for the elevators, which (every time I used the elevator) were American or British pop - yuck.

I am sure this hotel will get better after the renovations are complete, but until then, I suggest you stay elsewhere.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank TypeYourNameHere

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your valuable feedback. As you have noticed we have been upgrading our rooms, public areas and restaurants to offer an elevated experience for our guests and all the guest comments are carefully integrated to this extensive transformation.

We are launching phase 01 of the developments which includes the rooms, two brand new restaurants, refurbished front of the house and the main entrance by the end of this month.

We look forward to welcoming you back for a renewed experience.

Reviewed September 16, 2013

I have clocked over 50 nights at this hotel, travelling for business. Overall, it's great, especially if you need to be in Central Abu Dhabi.

I have tried virtually every other top hotel in the area. The new nice one's are too far away from the City Center - this is the best option if you need to be in the CBD.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Le Royal M, Director of PR and Marketing at Le Royal Meridien Abu Dhabi, responded to this reviewResponded September 21, 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your continued patronage and valuable feedback. We are happy to learn that you liked our hotel and facilities. With the current renovation project- upgrading rooms, restaurants and public areas, will elevate your next experience for sure. We are proud to launch the phase 1 of the development early October and look forward to welcoming you back.

Best regards

Reviewed September 15, 2013

I stayed here only for 1 night, but the view from the 17th floor is amazing. Its located in the middle of the city, so its easy access for us to go everywhere. Its near the shopping mall and Restaurant. The Irish Pub is so nice with the live band and dj. This hotel really accessible

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for the encouraging feedback and we are glad that you liked our room and the Irish pub during your recent stay. With the current renovation project we look forward to offer you an elevated level of product and services during your next visit.

Look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed September 13, 2013

This is a good hotel and I like the chain as well. I often stay in the Le Meridien in Kuala Lumpur too. A polite and efficient check in which was very informative, especially regarding hotel,restaurant discount schemes and points back incentives to save on hotel linen laundry and stuff which I thought was excellent. The restaurant for all day dining was very good with a nice selection of middle eastern and Asian food. There is a French restaurant on the top floor but I did not try this. Great location for business or leisure I would say. There is a bar on site called PJ's. unsurprisingly it is an Irish Bar. The night I went there was man playing a guitar wearing a stick on ginger beard and wearing a leprechaun hat. He was in fact Irish believe it or not. Call me a party pooper but that was beyond the pale. If you like beer, extremely loud music and Irish men with stick on beards this is the place for you. If on the other hand you prefer your disco with an Eastern European and central Asian seasoning I suggest,you try the Illusions Bar on the fourth floor. A woman from Turkmenistan whispered a joke in my ear that was epic in its scope and awesomely disgusting (I am an ex-sailor so no shrinking violet me) but she did apologise that some of the intended effect may have been lost in translation..... I did laugh by the way. Don't be put off. Go and have some fun but don't take the kids! I like the hotel and I like the restaurants and I recommend them very much. The bars? Well, takes your choices!

Room Tip: Maybe not the fourth floor because of the night club
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank TheWestCountryNomad

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind feedback and we are happy to know that you have enjoyed your experience with us recently. I will definitely pass on your feedback to the food and beverage team to look into the details as well as to appreciate the good work they have been offering to our guests.
As we are transforming our restaurants and bars, you will be offered with an elevated experience during your next visit for sure.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.