“Excellent but”

Ranked #23 of 129 Hotels in Abu Dhabi
Brighton, United Kingdom
“Excellent but”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2012

I like this Hotel is is excellently situated for business meetings, but two things - this is the only Starwood Hotel I know that offers Club Rooms and does not have a proper dedicated Club Lounge and the Bar/Restaurant on the First floor is not part of the Hotel, its service leaves a lot to be desired !

Room Tip: Higher floor sea facing is quieter
1 Thank Tony P
Le Royal M, General Manager at Le Royal Meridien Abu Dhabi, responded to this review, December 8, 2012
Dear Tony,

Thank you for taking the time to write your kind review.
We are glad to read that you like the hotel.

Indeed our Royal Club Lounge is part of the main lobby which makes it an open space, but plans are set to change that within 2013. A new Royal Club Lounge is planned to open soon offering better space and better comfort and facilities for Royal Club guests, with dedicated meeting space, lounge bar and the Starwood amenities and benefits expected.
About the restaurants on the first floor Sax and Oceans, they are managed by a third party operator but we have taken note of your comment and will be communicating to their team accordingly.

We do hope to welcome you again soon and look forward to your feedback later in the year once the refurbishment plans unveil the new Royal Club Lounge!

Thank you for your patronage and best regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (311)
  • Arabic first
  • Indonesian first
  • Slovak first
UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 29, 2012 via mobile

This was the 4th time I have stayed at this hotel, but it may well be the last. Despite a confirmed reservation, and being a gold SPG member, with my preferences/profile stored, on arrival the hotel had no suitable room. This was the 2nd consecutive stay where this has happened.

The plug in the bath operates via a wheel at the end of the bath, to raise and lower the plug. This did not work at all during my stay, despite reporting it to reception. I had to jam a comb under the plug so water could drain out of the bath.

During my 4 day stay I had no less than 8 electronic door key cards, because they would not let me in to my room ( I know all about keeping them away from mobile phones). The signs were not good when the porter took my key when I checked in, and 5 minutes later we were on the 22 floor with the key not working...... And so it went on for the rest of my stay.

I like this hotel normally, but this time a number of niggles spoilt my stay, and makes me wonder if I should try somewhere else next time in Abu Dhabi

Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Le Royal M, General Manager at Le Royal Meridien Abu Dhabi, responded to this review, November 30, 2012
Dear Neil,

Thank you for your comments and for your patronage of Le Royal Meridien Abu Dhabi.
Please allow us to apologize for the inconvenience caused upon arrival and later on by the key card problem. I can assure you that this is not the norm at our hotel.
We are investigating the key system to avoid similar problems in the future.
Similarly for the bath tub issue.

We would like to assure you again that we are committed to our guests comfort and will do our utmost best to avoid similar situation spoiling your future stay.
We do hope to welcome you again on your next visit.
Please do not hesitate to get in touch with me or a member of the management team upon your arrival; we would be happy to meet you.

Dubai
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2012 via mobile

All off to a good start, now a SPG gold member we were upgraded to suite, on the newly renovated 7th floor. Rooms are fresh, modern, separate lounge/dining area and large bathroom.

The shower is open with no door and directly in front of the toilet, which means when the showers on, theres nothing to stop the floor getting flooded, and if you want to use the toilet afterwards, you have to mop up all of the water. The shower also takes a good two minutes for the water to reach a good temperature, so a a lot of water wastage prior.

Besides the bathroom, and the bass pumping of the club below in the early hours, the room is fine.

So breakfast, I ate where the buffet is served at 9.30am. The Filipino at the desk made no acknowledgment of me, so I found my own table. After choosing my selections and sat down, no tea or coffee was offered either. I should mention I wasn't in a suit as it seems you need to be wearing one to get any attention.

After I finished off, to clear my plates the same Filipino asked "Finished?".. I'm not sure if there is any training on how to speak to guests here.

The manager also didn't seem to be doing anything else except organising the jam jars on the table.

Once finished I got up and left, so although breakfast was included, no one asked me for my room number so I could well have just been a random person who got a free breakfast! Maybe I'll come back when I'm not staying and try my luck..

All the other staff in the hotel seem friendly, so this restaurant has some work to do.

• Stayed November 2012
1 Thank CallumZW
Dear Callum,

Thank you for taking the time to write the review. We are happy to hear the room was to your liking.
With regards your comments about the breakfast, we have noted the issue and have already taken steps towards corrective action on training and service. Apologies for the less than great experience.
We would like to assure you that it will be different on your next trip.

Awaiting the pleasure of seeing you again at Le Royal Meridien Abu Dhabi.
Best regards,

Leeds, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2012

Allround a very good place to explore Abu Dhabi, it suits business or pleasure with ease. Bars, restarants, pool and gym facilities. The beds are very comfy too....To be critical its more like 4 than 5 star and could do with a little up dating but overall very good for the money.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank tableonlyone
Le Royal M, General Manager at Le Royal Meridien Abu Dhabi, responded to this review, November 25, 2012
Dear Sir,

Thank you for staying with us while in Abu Dhabi.
We appreciate your taking the time to write the review.
With regards updating of the property, we would like to inform you that plans for refurbishment works are underway and should you be visiting in a few months, you will be happy to see the changes at the room level.

We hope to see you again soon,

Yanbu, Saudi Arabia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2012

I stayed with work friends at this hotel 10 days ago. The hotel room was clean with modern decoration. I did not like the fact that I had to pay AED 200 extra to be upgraded to a royal club room to avail the airport shuttle. Even though I had a room with breakfast at the lower rate, guest services were not willing to give a discount since we had three rooms booked. If I did not upgrade, I would have had to pay AED 170 for airport shuttle. Additionally, the driver kept me waiting for 20 minutes at arrivals, so he could take another guest in the same trip. We had to walk and take our luggage along for a long distance to reach the hotel car. This is not what I expect from a luxury hotel.

Dear Sir,

Thank you for choosing to stay at Le Royal Meridien Abu Dhabi.
We have taken note of your comment regarding the airport transfer and will make the necessary changes to ensure travelers have a seamless trip to the airport.

Once again thank you for the review, we hope to see you again soon.
Budapest, Hungary
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2012

i have spent nearly a week in this hotel and in general I like it very much. I must say that being a 5 star hotel in the UAE is no easy job as the offerings here are vast. There are much better 5 star hotels here but for a much higher price. So given the price/quality ratio this hotel is a very good offering indeed.

Probably the only not so great part of the hotel is that it is old...but it is being refurbished as we speak. My room was on a refurbished floor and it was excellent. Nothing to complain about. Nice room and mostly u will get a good view of the corniche and Lulu Island.

The staff are very helpful. The check-in only has 3 positions so that can easily become over-crowded given the size of the hotel.
The food offerings in the hotel are great. Breakfast is very good and the buffet lunch and dinner are also good and not overpriced. For a 145DHS its a good deal.

Internet in my view would need a bit of attention from the IT department of the hotel as it is not too fast. However u have wifi signal around the pool area.

the POOL: Size is very nice so swimming is not a problem. Sadly because this hotel is located downtown with tall buildings all around the sun only shines from around 1030 to 1500. After that finding the sun will prove somewhat challenging.

The LOBBY: very nice lobby. You can feel the age but it makes it cosy. There is a pianist lady. I believe her name is Victoria and she plays incredibly. Just sitting there listening to her made my evening.

4th floor bar: this is an "interesting" place. Its nothing more then a bar for the prostitutes to hook up with hotel guests and outside guests. Its worth having a look even if you will not be a paying customer. Its very interesting. Must say the hotel does a great job because its is very discrete and u wouldn't even know about this as most of the ladies enter via a side door and get in the elevator.

All in all i liked this hotel very much. Great staff, great food.

Room Tip: on check-in ask for renovated rooms with sea view. There are corner rooms that have very very small...
1 Thank GPeto
Dear GPeto,

Thank you for taking the time to write the review.
Indeed you have rightly mentioned refurbishment works that will transform the hotel into a modern and comfortable place with greater F&B choices as well as the latest in equipment and amenities.

We thank you once again for recommending our hotel and hope to see you again soon,

Hawalli, Kuwait
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2012

The hotel was so nice, I was on the 9th floor over looking Abu Dhabi Marina Mall & some Islands, the room was always clean, but they don't refill toiletries on a daily basis, however I was not bothered, I think they offer the most amazing breakfast buffet, fresh juices and Sushi :)

Room Tip: see side non smoking floor, try the 9th.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Dear Sir,

Thank you for your nice review.
With regards your comment about refilling toiletries, we have communicated it to our housekeeping department and can assure you that this will not be an issue on your next visit.

Best regards,