“Nice hotel”

Ranked #19 of 128 Hotels in Abu Dhabi
southeast
“Nice hotel”
Reviewed December 6, 2010

Intercontinental Hotel is a nice hotel in Abu Dhabi, UAE. I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at the hotel. The view from the room was amazing, especially at night (overlooking the Emirates Palace not too far from the hotel itself!) The front desk staff and cleaning staff were very knowledgeable of the area (i.e. tourists attractions). The beds are very comfortable that one may be tempted to sleep in all the time! The room is equipped with a flat screen tv, couch area, lounge chair, and desk. Some rooms are equip with DVD players. In addition, the bathroom is very spacious. It is equipped with separate bath and stand up shower, vanity mirror, and separate toilet area. The hotel internet, however, may be expensive to some (approximately $25 USD per day unless one opts to purchase by the week or join the Ambassador's Club-ask hotel for details).

The hotel also has other amenities, such as pool area overlooking a marina, gym area with tv attached to treadmills, business center with copier, etc. The restaurants are also located in the hotel as well, and some are reasonably priced with great food! In addition, the hotel provides free shuttle to the Marina Mall (located approximately 10 to 15 mins. from hotel) with sign up time.

Overall, I would highly recommend the InterContinental in Abu Dhabi to business travelers and tourists visiting the UAE.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank frugaldiva

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (456)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London
Reviewed November 27, 2010

To be fair I only stayed for the Grand Prix week end so the hotel was not the focal point of the week end. The location is out of the way, quite a walk from anything. Rooms are fine. Basically this is a reliable spot and I would only stay again if I were to have a special rate and I was not looking for a luxurious hotel.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends
Dubai
Reviewed November 20, 2010

We booked inter connecting rooms with a sea view. They did not have the rooms we requested and could not care to do much about it. They had over booked, and that we are sure of. We spoke to an Italian front desk manager, who was not very apologetic.
The showers did not work, hot then cold, and the baths were left with hairs and other dirt in them.
We did not like the hotel, the service, or anything else. We were in a bad mood during our stay, and checked out at 10am without breakfast.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank Biryani_Baloney
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed November 17, 2010

Stayed here for two nights and I have to say that the leisure facilities in this property are excellent! They have a well sized pool area and they're own private beach, but you'll also find a squash court, table tennis and much more at the health club /swimming pool area.

The rooms are of a decent size (I stayed 1 night in a deluxe room which was good) and their suites are magnificent (good size and well equipped with an extra fridge and a microwave). Haven't really used any of the restaurants, but the food at the pool was good and decently priced (60 - 80 AED for a main course).

The staff in this hotel is okay and are generally very friendly. During the Formula 1 weekend there was some extra security (airport like style) which was a bit inconvenient, but on the other hand it makes sense when such an event is ongoing (all the major hotels in the city had these extra security measures).

Welcome amenities as an Ambassador were so so with a fruit platter that consisted of 2 bananas and 2 apples and some sweets on the side; I've seen better welcome amenities at other IC hotels. Also the upgrade was mediocre if not almost non existent with a 'deluxe city view' being upgraded to a 'deluxe sea view' room.

All in all it was a pleasure to stay at this property and I will certainly consider this hotel on my next trip to Abu Dhabi!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank Stefan H
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed November 16, 2010

Stayed here for the first time a few weeks ago and was delighted with my choice. The hotel is well located, close to the beach, has a fantastic pool area, excellent gym facilities, great bars, nice marina and a fantastic 'ambience' when walking around the hotel.

This is a fairly large complex so I would recommend checking in and then 'checking out' all the hotel has to offer - it really is an unbelievable complex.

The breakfast and lunch at the restaurant on the 4th floor (i think) are first class.

Stay here when in Abu Dhabi - you will not be disappointed.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
Dubai
Reviewed November 7, 2010

I like the location of the hotel, quiet and close to the corniche. The room is renovated, but no impression. The marble floor in my room seem to have something which they can't get rid of inside. The amenities anf vanities in the room is under average compare to other 5 stars hotel or even same Intercontinental. Not a day during my stay that I could have my completed set of vanity.

I had one big surprised when the housekeepers rang my door bell at 9.30pm to check the minibar. What did he do all the day long? It is not a good practice and I won't let him in. I had informed the duty manager of this behavior. Duty manager responsed was so slow, took 40-45 mins for him to return the call back. I almost gave up. Wifi Internet was not working well, connection was lost. IT team was not supportive, all they said was Etisalat problem, they can't help. However, the hotel provides me free internet after my connection was cut every 10-15 mins.

Reception staffs are cold. I was not offered a hand to carry my bag till I reached the check in counter. They saw me and ignored it. Staff needs to get trained for the services and service mind.

If we compare the services to other 5 stars in Middle East, this hotel needs improvment. People attitude must be changed.

One last thing to be awared, if you talk to IT person and the call was transfered from the hotel reception, there will be a list of local call charged to your room which you must check and asked them to remove.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
InterContinentalAD, Public Relations Manager at InterContinental Abu Dhabi, responded to this review, November 9, 2010
Dear Angiiiangle,

We would like to thank you for choosing InterContinental Abu Dhabi. We regret to read about your displeasure during your stay with us. We will look into these matters you have listed and we hope that your next stay will be a more pleasant one.

Kindest regards,
The management
Palm Bay, FL
Reviewed November 5, 2010

I has two stays for a total of about 3 weeks in September and October. The concierges and front desk go out of their way to present you with a welcoming and helpful experience, despite the time of day or how many times you've seen them. As are most quality hotels in the UAE, the lobby was impeccable. The rooms I stayed in were a bit dated, but overall I felt comfortable and could easily stay here for longer periods of time.

The lounge on the 18th floor was exceptional. I found the lounge staff to be very helpful and welcoming. The only down side (minor) is their limited hours for snacks and drinks in the evening. If you arrive after 9pm, you are out of luck.

This hotel offers many restaurants. The Belgian Cafe was interesting, had good beer, food selections were somewhat limited, and the service was a bit slow the 4 times I ate there. Boccacio is their Italian restaurant, excellent layout and decor, helpful staff with a moderately ranged menu selection. With all of that said, I wasn't a big fan of any of the dishes I ate there. Another restaurant (can't recall the name) offered some type of Brazilian style of dining, offering a fixed price menu and all you can eat meat selections. I thought it was a bit expensive (280 dirhams) especially since I don't eat a ton of food, but the restaurant was constantly packed. I also ate at their Fish Market restaurant on the water. Here you select which fish and other items to have prepared for you, how much, and the manner in which you want it prepared. In all of my dining here, I was always pleased by the experience and felt it was a fair value for the food and service.

If I had to pick on any negatives for this location, that would be really tough. My one suggestion is they open up the hours of their restaurants, opening earlier than 7pm and staying open later than 10pm (hours varied by restaurant, but in general this was your window to be there).

I did opt for room service since I arrived from work a bit late one evening (10pm). I was pleasantly surprised at the selection, the prices were completely reasonable, the food was excellent and would be happy to do this again. This approach certainly makes up for the limited hours of operation for the restaurants and upper-floor lounge.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business