“Go with the right attitude!”

InterContinental Abu Dhabi
Ranked #19 of 128 Hotels in Abu Dhabi
Colchester, United Kingdom
“Go with the right attitude!”
Reviewed July 31, 2009

Have just returned from 1 week at the Intercontinental and from my experience we could not find any faults at all and we have stayed at many 4 and 5 star hotels all over the world.
Our room was large and comforable and the a/c worked fine. The TV and radio worked and the minibar was always well stocked. The bathroom was spotless and always full of clean towels.
The pool was glorious and and pool guys so very attentive as were every single member of staff we encountered. However on listening to how some of the guests spoke to the staff I am not surprised they received the cold shoulder or a negative response, it was disgraceful the way they were spoken to sometimes. It doesnt hurt to be courteous and polite, we try to be and without fail always get a positive response.
The restaurants were fabulous, especially Chamas which was my favourite! Great food and unlimited Caipurinos, heaven!
Yes the drinks are a little expensive but I think this is to be expected in a hotel of this standard but the food we found to be very good value for money.
The free shuttle to Marina Mall is a bonus and the Concierge were very helpful in booking trips and taxis.
So all in all a great holiday and I would go back there is a heartbeat.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank jackielear
ICAUHPR, Dirctor of PR & Communications at InterContinental Abu Dhabi, responded to this review, August 10, 2009
Thanks you very much for your kind words. Your comments were shared by the colleagues at the hotel.

We all look forward to welcome you again at the InterContinental Abu Dhabi.

Best regards
Director of PR & Communications

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (464)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed July 19, 2009

I'm not a difficult customers but I didn't enjoy our stay at the Intercont I we try to be objective.

They only had one guy on reception at 7pm on Saturday evening. Plenty of staff on the phone or walking around with clipboards. Once taken by the receptionist he apologised for the wait and was very pleasant. When he relised my priority club status I was taken to desk which had a girl that had managed to ignore the fact I had been waiting.

Check in was smooth from there forward as was the delivery of the extra bed for my young son. The room and bathroom was nice, with a good view of the marina and pool etc. However, the room AC isn't up to the job of cooling the rooms making it an uncomfortable night.

Breakfast was a free for all in terms of finding a table. Sign for it on the way in then your are on your own. We found a table asked a supervisor for a highchair and we were pointed in the right direction. When we carried it over and asked for a cloth and spray to clean the tray we he gave us a wet napkin. We asked for spray to be told that they didn't have any. Now even the the shopping mall food court the cleaner will find a highchair bring it over and give it a clean. I don't know what they used to clean the tables?

The food was fine with a good choice. The smoke from the other guests was terrible. There was no obvious smoking area so it appears that it's smoke for breakfast.

When asked about our stay at reception we mentioned the A/C the high chair and the smoke. The girl smiled apologised and hoped to get right next time. We felt more angry than before because she really wasn't interested in the complaint.

Overall, our experience wasn't the worst hotel experience but absolutely lacked any reason to go back. We live in Dubai and decided to take advantage of summer room rates. Last week the Fairmont was fantastic from start to finish. Next time in Abu Dhabi it won't be the Intercont for us.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
4 Thank markcullens
Innsbruck, Austria
Reviewed July 18, 2009

The company I am working for here recommended me to book into this hotel and when I read the reviewsabout it on Tripadvisor, I was a bit sceptical. However, I am having a very positive experience here. This may be due to the fact that I don't normally stay in five star hotels when travelling, but on the other hand, my husband will tell you that I am 'a very fussy lady' when it comes to customer service and quality of accommodation.

The customer service here is great. Staff are polite and very friendly and helpful, and will do anything for you.

The room is very well appointed and comfortable, with high quality bed linen and a very comfortable mattress. There is also a little alcove with a comfy settee to relax on. There is a huge TV with a big of choice of channels, and a desk and comfortable chair with an easy Internet connection and a good work light. Otherwise the lighting in the room is quite subtle. The bathroom , which is tiled in marble, has a bath and separate shower and wc/bidet with a big vanity unit and drawers for all your cosmetics etc. I have found the air conditioning reasonably OK to work. There is a console that controls it and the lighting which it takes a bit of time to get used to, but which I have now mastered.

The hotel is well located at one end of the Corniche, with its own beach and a marina and a lot of open space around it. This is a pretty good location, because it is much quieter than the hotels nearer the town centre. There is a big new development under way nearby, but in my opinion, it is not near enough to cause guests at the hotel any inconvenience. There are great views from the hotel down to the Corniche, over to the Emirates Palace Hotel and over the marina. There is a very well equipped gym open 24hours a day, and an outdoor pool. There are about 5 restaurants to choose from and room service is available 24 hours a day. So far, I have eaten at three of them, and all serve excellent food with good service. Breakfast is just great - everything and anything you could wish for, with lots of fabulous fresh fruit and juices, and a range of cooked food.

What I like best is my room, with the staff a close second. For me the one drawback is that the hotel doesn't have an indoor swimming pool, and it's too hot for me to swim out of doors at the moment.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
2 Thank Alexina Fullerton
Dawlish, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 14, 2009

Ho hum, all a bit bland really. Great front of house staff, average grub and nice pool staff. Not much else to comment on to be honest. Bog standard intercon......

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
United Kingdom
Reviewed July 12, 2009

Stayed for 10 nights.
I'll start with the negatives.(minor gripes)
We weren't informed at check in that there was a courtesy mini bus to the Marina mall and only found out by chance.
The food and drink is fairly expensive in the hotel.
If that is all we have to grumble about then I must congratulate the Intercontinental staff for a great vacation.
The breakfast is very good,a great choice and the food is very good quality.
When you arrive at the pool in the morning the pool staff are terrific.
They are very helpful and cannot do enough for you.
We were invited to the cocktail party on a Tuesday night,where we met some of the management, and received rather a few free glasses of wine.
As soon as our glass was nearly empty someone would appear and top it up.
The canapes were very nice as well.
The Brazilian restaurant was very expensive but well worth a visit.
It was rather unusual as you get a drinks coaster with a red side and a green side.
The green side is turned up when you want food and the red side is shown for not just now.
You have to be fast as the waiters are constantly bringing you large skewers with amazing meat.
The secret is not to take too much salad from the salad bar.
Oh! and of course periodically there are girls strutting their stuff in traditional costumes
around the restaurant.
We filled in a survey card in our room about our stay and mentioned our gripe about the shuttle bus.
There was an e mail waiting for me from the management on my return to the UK.
We were assured that reception staff would now mention the coutesy bus at check in.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank murphy10
ICAUHPR, Director of PR & Communications at InterContinental Abu Dhabi, responded to this review, July 15, 2009
Dear Mr. Murphy,

Please allow me to thank you for your kind words your wrote on Trip Advisor. Your comments have been shared by the colleagues of the hotel during our general colleagues meeting.

On behalf of every member of the team I thank you again and look forward to welcoming you again soon to the InterContinental Abu Dhabi.

Best Regards
InterContinental Abu Dhabi
Ireland
Reviewed June 22, 2009

We stayed for one week at the Intercontinental Abu Dhabi...the hotel's amenities were second to none..pool, private beach, gym, 5 restaurants, the works. We were treated like royalty the entire stay by the friendly and helpful staff.We had no problem with the air conditioning, which I had read about in previous reviews..We ate in 3 of the 5 restaurants - Fishmarket (a must), Chamas, and Boccaccio, all of which I would highly recommend. Although it is situated outside of the city, we had no problem flagging down taxis down the street from the hotel (far cheaper than getting the private taxis that are readily available outside the hotel)..a trip downtown would never cost more than a couple bucks, even in heavy traffic. Getting back to the hotel, however would always result in waiting 15-25 minutes for a taxi, but that's understandable in a busy city..All in all it was a great trip and we cant wait to try out another Intercontinental in another city on our next vacation!!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank michelleb808
Abu Dhabi
Reviewed June 15, 2009

Let me start by saying that the hotel is extremely great in all aspects; hotel atmosphere, restaurants, facilities such as pool/gym, room furniture... however, although i have stayed in three different rooms in this hotel i have faced the same problem which is very bad Air conditioning system... Even if you turn on the AC at the coolest level and highest fan the room takes ages to cool... and in this part of the world, specially in summer it causes great discomfort... i guess the hotels engineering department screwed the entire effort in this hotel by underestimating the cooling requirements

• Stayed June 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank TheH0telReviewer
ICAUHPR, Director of PR & Communications at InterContinental Abu Dhabi, responded to this review, June 17, 2009
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your kind feed back. Your comments have been discussed during our management briefing and action is being taken.

Once again I thank you and look forward to welcoming you soon to InterContinental Abu Dhabi.

Best regards