“Very nice and handsome waiter ;)”

InterContinental Abu Dhabi
Ranked #18 of 127 Hotels in Abu Dhabi
Reviewed December 7, 2013

Uzair of the Selections Restaurant made it a memorable stay...yayyyeeee ;) very attentive and friendly. The hotel is very clean. Lots of construction around the hotel,but that should be over with at one point.

• Stayed: December 2013
InterContinentalAD, General Manager at InterContinental Abu Dhabi, responded to this reviewResponded December 9, 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write your reivew and for giving us the perfect score. I am happy you enjoyed your stay us. Thank you for your kind words regarding my colleague Uzair. He is thankful for your comments.

As you mentioned our Bayshore development is not affecting the enjoyment of our guests on the beach. We are expecting the whole project to be ready within quarter one of 2014.

Thank you once again and I look forward to welcoming you back.

Dieter Franke

Write a ReviewReviews (2,465)

Reviewed December 7, 2013

Booked on ICH own web page with a good rate.

Pick up from airport in a large Ford car with a large boot which got all the suitcases in, the return trip in a Mercedes we had to have two cases in the front with the driver. The Ford was the better car bigger and smother.

Front of house staff were the cars pull up at 9.00pm were just great. Took my wife and myself all the way to the club check in area on the 18th floor, there is a private lift just for the upper floors and helicopter landing pad! They then brought the suitcases up to the room within minutes plus a screwdriver to fix the handle on a suitcase, top service.

Check in was smooth, received the high floor as asked, also the twin beds.
Room was clean and cool. Aircon worked very well with easy to use control box.
Bathroom, well this room was a little worn around the edges. Damaged bath, mastic that looked like had been put on by a 6 year old and very low water pressure.
As with all hotels the noise from people walking past your room if they are talking loud or just disrespectful about other guests needs when moving to their rooms does come into the rooms.
The room in the mornings was well serviced but the turn down services was only done 3 times out of one weeks stay, and that as hit and miss even after a call to house keeping. For the whole stay we never received a newspaper even though the web site states a dally paper.

As others have said, why oh why dos the hotel not clean the room windows. They are FILTHY.... What 5 star hotel allows this. Its been said so many times on this site you would think the hotel would act on the feedback.

Now for the room key. OMG..... We had to have the room key card reactivated 9 times during our stay. The hotel said they looked at the lock after the 4th time our key cards would not work. The 8 times the cards were reactivated by the staff in the club lounge but once in the check in area at the club lounge at midday they had no staff! We were told to wait or go to main reception. One would think that a 5 star hotel would staff its club check in desk for its guest.
We had to go to the main check in area in our wet swim wear in front of all these well dressed persons in the lobby area, were then asked for ID before they would reactivate the key cards, who carry's that in their swim wear, as we told them, we also told them they had no staff at the desk in the club lounge. They did reactivate the cards but with no apology at all and no customer service skills. Talk about being embarrassed. My wife and I just wanted the floor to open up what with all the other guest in the check in area.
For our inconvenience from this 5 star hotels lack of staff a bottle of red wine was left in our room. My wife does not drink and I don't drink wine, we left it at the hotel on check out. How poor is that service? Why not just have a good old fashion key, just like people have had for the passed few hundred years.

The club lounge. While we were staying all week it had babies and children in it. Crying babies, children picking food off the counter uncontrolled by adults. Not the type of club lounge I would recommend if you are looking for a quite relaxing time which is a shame.

Pool area. Every time we left the sun lounge's the staff took away the towels even when you went in the spa or pool. Why? Their parasols have seen better days also.

The beach area was good to walk along in the evenings but it looks like the water does not move a lot as it had a "raw" smell to it, could be due to the new islands which have been built.

All week in the spa area the sauna was out of action. Does it take that long to fix. Looked like it had been out of action for quite a while.

Over all the staff were very good, the hotel try's very hard to be a top 5 star place but there are to many little problems to says its up there with the other 5 star Abu Dhabi hotels so unless we were to get a good rate again its back to the Hilton or Hyatt when we are back in Abu Dhabi which is often.

Hope this helps folks.

Room Tip: only stayed on the 18th floor over looking the pool which was handy to get the room key reactivated...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank medicengland

Dear Guest

Thank you very much for taking the time to write your review regarding you last stay with us. Such reviews are a great help to us as it allows us to rectify the shortfalls that might appear.
I am delighted you found our Front Office staff service efficient and the room comfortable and to your liking. Please allow me also to apologise for the inconveniences you faced during your stay.
As it is always our aim to provide our guests with a comfortable experience, I have shared your email with the team here at the hotel and we are working , as we speak, on setting to matters to order.

Once again I thank you for your review and hope you will give us another change and be our guest in the near future.

Reviewed December 4, 2013 via mobile

Stayed there just last week, though it wasn't actually on a weekend, but still it's a great way to get out of busy Dubai.

The room was spacious, the view is spectacular, regardless whether your room faces the city or marina.

Check-in & check-out were efficient, I can say service overall was brilliant.

Tried hotel's beach & Belgian Cafe.
The beach is partially under renovation, but it doesn't disturb you much. Looking forward to be back when construction is over.

Hotel's Belgian Cafe was my 3rd franchise visit here in the Middle East, so I knew what to expect after visits in Doha & Dubai.
My favorite mussels & Leffe, cozy atmosphere. Inside area is strictly non-smoking, which is a plus.

Will definitely recommend as a top Abu Dhabi destination.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank smolyany
InterContinentalAD, General Manager at InterContinental Abu Dhabi, responded to this reviewResponded December 7, 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I am delighted that you have enjoyed your stay with us and had a relaxing weekend at our hotel.

As you mentioned, our beach project is nearly ready and is scheduled to open within the 1st quarter of 2014.

Once agin I thank you for your kind words and I look forward to welcoming back soon.

Reviewed November 26, 2013

Upgraded with wonderful staff and plenty of attractions within the grounds. Gym, pools, beach restaurants and meeting rooms abound at this location. Just off the Cornish and within walking distance to the main beach and into th CBD.

Rooms are large and well presented, free parking as well as free WiFi, well worth a visit if staying in the Capital

Room Tip: Upper floors give a great view
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Keith M
InterContinentalAD, General Manager at InterContinental Abu Dhabi, responded to this reviewResponded December 4, 2013

Dear Shamwire

Thank you for taking the time to write your review and thank for your kind word. I am glad that your have enjoyed your stay with us.

I look forward to welcoming you back soon. Once again thank you and best regards

Reviewed November 23, 2013

Was the most spectacular hotel in UAE for a long time; gold leaf in the Ballroom.
Has had many Famous residents inc Charles & Diana! Now a standard 5 star hotel with non-descript food & service but a reasonably high standard of comfort; good sleep as long as the staff don't chatter in the corridor.
The dreaded AC is as ever, bone chilling.
Food is standard hotel fare; my favourite is the clear vegetable soup!!
Have worked in hotels for 20 years & stayed here 4 times over the last year.
Outstanding value for money if you can get a good rate.
Beach is being refurbished.

Room Tip: Sea view nice during day time only. I usually prefer high floors.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Hooray H

Thank you very much for taking the time write your review about your recent stay with us. I have to start by apologising for the uncomfortable experience you had with the AC. I have refered your comments to our engineering team and they are looking after this matter, making sure such disturbance is avoided in the future.

Thank you for staying with us 4 times, I hope we will be able to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed November 23, 2013

I spent 5 nights at this hotel in November 2013 on business and found the facilities for delivering my lectures were excellent.
All of the staff, from check in, eating, room service and the young man that look after us during business hours were professional, warm and friendly.
The food was excellent through from breakfast to dinner in the evening and the choices were extensive.
Nice marina outside the hotel.
Some disruption during the day as they are improving the beach area for tourists but barely noticeable.
Did not have time to discover the surrounding area so cannot comment.
Overall, my experience was 100% positive.
Special mentions for Manny Arellano, who looked after the convention aspects and to Anusha Sarojini Silva for her staff's superb service in the third floor restaurant.

Well done Intercontinental Abu Dhabi, an excellent experience.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business

Dear Brian P,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write your review and thanks for giveing us the perfect score of 5. I have shared your comments with the team and they all thank you for your kind words.

I am delighted you have enjoyed your stay. As you mentioned our beach is at the final stages of refurbishment. We are looking at Q1 to have the whole Bayshore area ready to welcome our guests. The Bayshore will include two swimming pools, one for children and one for adults. We will also have 7 rentable cabanas, a healt club with treatment rooms and a beach bar and a beach restaurant.

I look forward to welcoming you back and thank again for your review.

Reviewed November 20, 2013

This hotel allows smoking in the lobby lounge and it smells like smoke the moment you walk through the doors. It is not pleasant and for this reason alone I would not recommend this hotel. Also the walls in the rooms are paper thin and I was woken up in the middle of the night by the TV in the room next to me because it was so loud. The beds were very comfortable and the breakfast buffet was great. The staff at times seemed confused and not sure about things, but they were very friendly and took care of everything. For me the smoking was a huge issue and the quality of sleep due to noisy from neighboring rooms.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank mjackson33
InterContinentalAD, General Manager at InterContinental Abu Dhabi, responded to this reviewResponded November 21, 2013

Dear Guest

I sincerely apologise for the disturbance you had to face during your stay with us. Thank you for taking the time to write your review. We value these reviews as they give us the chance to fix any shortfalls that occur. I have shared your review with the team and they all appreciate your comments and hope that you will give us another opportunity to welcome you again to InterContinental Abu Dhabi.