“Weekend getaway”

InterContinental Abu Dhabi
Ranked #17 of 128 Hotels in Abu Dhabi
Reviewed December 4, 2013 via mobile

Stayed there just last week, though it wasn't actually on a weekend, but still it's a great way to get out of busy Dubai.

The room was spacious, the view is spectacular, regardless whether your room faces the city or marina.

Check-in & check-out were efficient, I can say service overall was brilliant.

Tried hotel's beach & Belgian Cafe.
The beach is partially under renovation, but it doesn't disturb you much. Looking forward to be back when construction is over.

Hotel's Belgian Cafe was my 3rd franchise visit here in the Middle East, so I knew what to expect after visits in Doha & Dubai.
My favorite mussels & Leffe, cozy atmosphere. Inside area is strictly non-smoking, which is a plus.

Will definitely recommend as a top Abu Dhabi destination.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank smolyany
InterContinentalAD, General Manager at InterContinental Abu Dhabi, responded to this reviewResponded December 7, 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I am delighted that you have enjoyed your stay with us and had a relaxing weekend at our hotel.

As you mentioned, our beach project is nearly ready and is scheduled to open within the 1st quarter of 2014.

Once agin I thank you for your kind words and I look forward to welcoming back soon.

Reviewed November 26, 2013

Upgraded with wonderful staff and plenty of attractions within the grounds. Gym, pools, beach restaurants and meeting rooms abound at this location. Just off the Cornish and within walking distance to the main beach and into th CBD.

Rooms are large and well presented, free parking as well as free WiFi, well worth a visit if staying in the Capital

Room Tip: Upper floors give a great view
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Keith M
InterContinentalAD, General Manager at InterContinental Abu Dhabi, responded to this reviewResponded December 4, 2013

Dear Shamwire

Thank you for taking the time to write your review and thank for your kind word. I am glad that your have enjoyed your stay with us.

I look forward to welcoming you back soon. Once again thank you and best regards

Reviewed November 23, 2013

Was the most spectacular hotel in UAE for a long time; gold leaf in the Ballroom.
Has had many Famous residents inc Charles & Diana! Now a standard 5 star hotel with non-descript food & service but a reasonably high standard of comfort; good sleep as long as the staff don't chatter in the corridor.
The dreaded AC is as ever, bone chilling.
Food is standard hotel fare; my favourite is the clear vegetable soup!!
Have worked in hotels for 20 years & stayed here 4 times over the last year.
Outstanding value for money if you can get a good rate.
Beach is being refurbished.

Room Tip: Sea view nice during day time only. I usually prefer high floors.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Hooray H

Thank you very much for taking the time write your review about your recent stay with us. I have to start by apologising for the uncomfortable experience you had with the AC. I have refered your comments to our engineering team and they are looking after this matter, making sure such disturbance is avoided in the future.

Thank you for staying with us 4 times, I hope we will be able to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed November 23, 2013

I spent 5 nights at this hotel in November 2013 on business and found the facilities for delivering my lectures were excellent.
All of the staff, from check in, eating, room service and the young man that look after us during business hours were professional, warm and friendly.
The food was excellent through from breakfast to dinner in the evening and the choices were extensive.
Nice marina outside the hotel.
Some disruption during the day as they are improving the beach area for tourists but barely noticeable.
Did not have time to discover the surrounding area so cannot comment.
Overall, my experience was 100% positive.
Special mentions for Manny Arellano, who looked after the convention aspects and to Anusha Sarojini Silva for her staff's superb service in the third floor restaurant.

Well done Intercontinental Abu Dhabi, an excellent experience.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business

Dear Brian P,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write your review and thanks for giveing us the perfect score of 5. I have shared your comments with the team and they all thank you for your kind words.

I am delighted you have enjoyed your stay. As you mentioned our beach is at the final stages of refurbishment. We are looking at Q1 to have the whole Bayshore area ready to welcome our guests. The Bayshore will include two swimming pools, one for children and one for adults. We will also have 7 rentable cabanas, a healt club with treatment rooms and a beach bar and a beach restaurant.

I look forward to welcoming you back and thank again for your review.

Reviewed November 20, 2013

This hotel allows smoking in the lobby lounge and it smells like smoke the moment you walk through the doors. It is not pleasant and for this reason alone I would not recommend this hotel. Also the walls in the rooms are paper thin and I was woken up in the middle of the night by the TV in the room next to me because it was so loud. The beds were very comfortable and the breakfast buffet was great. The staff at times seemed confused and not sure about things, but they were very friendly and took care of everything. For me the smoking was a huge issue and the quality of sleep due to noisy from neighboring rooms.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank mjackson33
InterContinentalAD, General Manager at InterContinental Abu Dhabi, responded to this reviewResponded November 21, 2013

Dear Guest

I sincerely apologise for the disturbance you had to face during your stay with us. Thank you for taking the time to write your review. We value these reviews as they give us the chance to fix any shortfalls that occur. I have shared your review with the team and they all appreciate your comments and hope that you will give us another opportunity to welcome you again to InterContinental Abu Dhabi.

Reviewed November 18, 2013

I had a 3-night stay in this Intercontinental for leisure purpose. My first impression upon my entry in the reception area was above my expectations: a luxury and relaxing ambient, and staff welcoming you with mini chocolates. As an Ambassador member, upon our arrival at 9.30 pm, they immediately upgrated us in a fantastic suite on 5th floor (room No 532), facing the marina on one side and the city on the other. I cannot say anything else about this suite: simply wonderful!! Breakfast was served in the Selections restaurant, on 3rd floor, near the outdoor pool, with direct view on the marina. The quality and variety of foods was the expected from a 5-star hotel and much more: arabic, mediterranean and asiatic foods, as well as pork bacon, a complete egg station, soups etc. Really, a superb breakfast. We ate also in The Yacht Club restaurant, serving sushi and japanese food, and in the Fishmarket restaurant, serving seafood Thai style, on the private beach. All were excellent either regarding the quality of foods, or regarding decoration and ambient. Of course, service in the restaurants was fast, attentive and polite. All 3 nights of our stay we had after dinner drinks on the outdoor patio of Chamas bar: relaxing ambient and flavoured shisha. The lobby lounge on ground floor was luxuriously decorated, creating an extremely relaxing ambient, very good to take a coffee or for a pre- or after dinner drink, with live music in the evenings. Finally, the hotel had its private beach, plenty of sunbeds, very good for swimming in the calm, hot waters of the gulf. All the staff in every part of the hotel was well trained, helpful and polite,
The location of the hotel is on the border of the city center, about one km from Emirates Palace, 1,5 km from Corniche, and 3-4 km from Marina Mall. If it is not too hot weather, you can walk until these places easily; otherwise, taxis are very cheap, clean and fast.
In conclusion, the Intercontinental Abu Dhabi is a wonderful hotel, one of the best hotels we ever stayed, with excellent facilities and super staff. Many thanks to all the staff who made our stay really wonderful, memorable and above our expectations. Of course, in our next visit to Abu Dhabi we will stay there again.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
InterContinentalAD, General Manager at InterContinental Abu Dhabi, responded to this reviewResponded November 19, 2013

Dear Vassilis

Thank you very much for taking the time to write your review. I am delighted to know that you have enjoyed your stay with us. The whole team is very happy to learn that your stay was memorable and you have found our service and the facilities up to your expectations.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future and until then please accept my sincere thanks for your loyalty.

Reviewed November 13, 2013

The Intercontinental is an excellent hotel. The staff were extremely friendly and efficient and seemed genuinely interested in ensuring that we had everything we needed and were enjoying our stay. The concierge staff were very knowledgable about the area, where to go to buy a particular item and how to get there.

The hotel is large but well kept and extremely clean. We stayed in a Club Intercontinental room, which although more expensive, was worth the extra money as breakfast, snacks all day, afternoon tea, and 2 hours of drinks with a large variety of hors d'oevres were included in the price. We ate in 2 of the hotel restaurants and although a little more expensive than outside, the food was excellent as was the service and the menus.
Although not in the centre of the city, it is very easy and cheap to take a taxi anywhere and there is plenty to see and do in the immediate area. The hotel also runs a complimentary shuttle bus to the local shopping malls. If you want to stay in the hotel it has it's own beach area and pool where there are always plenty of sunbeds.
All in all a very good place to stay and I would recommend it to anyone.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
InterContinentalAD, General Manager at InterContinental Abu Dhabi, responded to this reviewResponded November 15, 2013

Dear 321uktraveller3

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. The team and myself would like to thank you for your kind words and for giving us the chance to welcome you at InterContinental Abu Dhabi. It is our aim always to provide all our guest with a memorable experience.

I thank you once again and look forward to welcoming you back.