“A great hotel”

InterContinental Abu Dhabi
Ranked #18 of 128 Hotels in Abu Dhabi
Reviewed November 12, 2012

I have been in this hotel mant times since 1991 and found it over years as good as it is first time.
The location is excellent , the atmosfiere is great every thing is so fantastic.
the quality is so great and all around is so great. very big gardin wi9th a beatiful outlook.
I always feel homesick to this when I go to Abu Dhabi

Room Tip: I have been in this hotel number of times but a few years a go
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,427)

Reviewed November 11, 2012

We booked this hotel for a last minute break in the sun as it had a beach and pool. We unintentionally booked ourselves a junior suite (1 king bedroom with ensuite and a lounge, kitchenette and additional toilet) as my husband and i had our 16 year old daughter with us and she was able to have a single bed set up in the lounge area of the suite. It turned out that we were on the Club Level of the hotel which is a little more expensive and probably designed with business travellers in mind, but for us, it was a stroke of luck and money well spent. The room rate included use of the Club reception and lounge area with it's outstanding views, constant buffets of food and drink and attentive service standards. It also included breakfast for the two adults (but as my daughter only eats fruit for breakfast and this was provided in the room, that suited us. The breakfast buffet caters for all nationalities and tastes with a huge variety of fresh food and an 'egg station' for eggs prepared to exacting requirements. Coffee and tea is constantly available in the lounge and our room also had a coffee maker and tea making facitiies too (unusual outside the UK) which was most welcome especially as room service provided fresh milk for my tea which I could keep in the kitchenette's fridge, an enormous improvement over UHT longlife or powdered milk usually provided!!
We spent our days by the lovely pool and it's bar which serves a nice selection of foods for lunch and on the beach which has a bar too and a restaurant with terrace for lunches. The beach is clean and very well attended with cabanas and sunbeds a plenty and a play area, showers and volleyball court too. The beach attendants, like those at the pool and throughout the hotel are friendly, kind and helpful. The beach area is accessed via a stroll along the marina which is enjoyable and the whole facility is under redevelopment but don't let this put you off as it is hard to avoid construction in Abu Dhabi generally as it is booming, and the construction area is well managed and screened to minimise disruption. When it is finished the facility will have two more pools and restaurants alongside the beach and will be very impressive.

Another bonus of the Club level was that the breakfast buffet is followed by a buffet of fresh prepared fruit and cookies over lunchtime, Sandwiches and patisserie in the afternoon and pre dinner drinks (alcoholic or not) and a spread of cheeses and canapes in the evening. I took advantage of all of these during our stay as it gave me quiet time in the cool, spacious lounge with the free newspapers and lovely food, at any time I needed to get out of the heat of the beach or pool. My husband and daughter were quite cool under the pool or beach umbrellas but I thoroughly enjoyed the quiet lounge facility, a bit like being in a library with lovely snacks available and tv too if required (which I avoided!).

The Intercontinental is situated at one end of Abu Dhabi, near the Jumeriah Towers and Emerite Palace and is not central which suited us, as the whole city, like many in the U.S.A., is designed for the car, and not for walking. As taxi's are plentiful and cheap, getting around was not a problem. The hotel does have several lovely restaurants but we used none of them for dinner as we found that, after lunch by the pool or beach, afternoon tea and pre -dinner drinks, cheeses and canapes in the lounge, we did not require an evening meal too! It also has some great bars which, had we been with other adults we would have made use of. The Belgian Beer Bar seemed to be particularly popular!

We had a delightful, lazy half-term week at the Intercontinental with no effort required on our part for anything. If you want a week of doing nothing but lazing in the sun and being waited on, I would thoroughly recommend it. It would suit groups of adults as well as families with children. We will definitely be back.

Reviewed November 9, 2012

I spent 14 nights in this hotel for work. It is well appointed & the rooms are nice. It is not a holiday hotel though...yes it has a beach (which is being upgraded) but I wouldnt stay here for a holiday. It's on the westen end of the Cornish near the Emirates Palace Hotel & about a 10dirum taxi to city. The restuarants a good & there are a number of options of places to eat. It is also close to Marina Mall where you can then get "Big Bus" tour buses etc. For Westerners is is very close to "Spinneys"...a local Bottleshop....not easy to find in the Middle East...

Room Tip: Buffet Breakfast gets tiresome after a while but at least you have options.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Andy0763
Reviewed November 8, 2012

I paid 600 UAE Dirhams a night to stay in this hotel during a business trip and it's an odd mix of business hotel with a micro poor-quality beach resort. My advice; if you're looking for a romantic getaway, avoid and if you're here on a business trip, avoid unless on a tight budget. Location is OK (about 20 minutes to the centre of Abu Dhabi by taxi) but there are hotels much nearer.

The hotel building is fine; a standard (but not particularly exceptional) skyscraper type near to the sea and the rooms are to a good international business hotel standard (but slightly small and dated).

The beach however is terrible; it looks nice from a distance but you get there and realize (i) it's fake and has been built with industrial coarse grained sand, (ii) there are no facilities (except portacabin changing rooms), and (iii) there's a building site *surrounding* the beach on all sides.

The pool however is quite nice and more 'resorty'.

Final two minor points. First, on check in I asked for a sea view (recommended) and the check in assistant said 'sorry, the entire hotel is full'. I checked online and they had over 100 rooms free - I don't like hotels using this lie rather than just saying the truth (we don't want to move you 'cos it's a hassle).

Also, at the pool the lockers require a coin to use (a bit inconvenient). I asked a staff member for help and they said "all the lockers are broken so just keep your stuff with you" (which was not true; I just needed a coin). He also said if my bag was stolen while I was swimming the hotel could do nothing. Minor point, but a bit exasperating.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view; some rooms have a side on view.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank FarTravellingJames
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Abu Dhabi, responded to this reviewResponded November 27, 2012

Dear jimster99,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. We work diligently to ensure our facilities are well maintained and we try our hardest to provide not just good value, but comfortable, clean and friendly accommodations. It sounds like we fell below your expectations due to the service received from our staff and I am sorry to hear that you were disappointed about the beach location. Though I would prefer you had a better experience at our hotel, I would like to thank you for sharing your thoughts as this is our best resource for improving guest services.

Lera M
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed November 5, 2012 via mobile

Overall a great stay!! Currently the Beach area is under expansion but this causes only minor disruption. Staff are all really friendly. Currently Abu Dhabi has a lot of building working happening and especially around this hotel, this makes walking anywhere impossible but taxi are very cheap.

• Stayed: November 2012
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Just had a week at this hotel. The swimming pool was amazing; very clean, large comfy sunbeds and the staff were efficient and polite. I had never been to Abu Dhabi before, and will definately be returning and staying at this luxurious, understated, wonderful hotel. Only gripe is that the Kids Club was un-attended by staff, which is a great shame as my daughter would have loved to go in and play.

Room Tip: ask for a pool-view room
Reviewed November 5, 2012

But one has to bear in mind that the whole area is more or less under construction so that it can get quite loud at night. There is no garden to speak of (construction site ). 2 tennis courts instead of 4...
Despite these inconveniences, we still had a pleasant stay due to mostly the staff ! Friendly, helpful ...