“Magnificent”

Ranked #19 of 128 Hotels in Abu Dhabi
Jedburgh, United Kingdom
“Magnificent”
Reviewed September 26, 2012

Fantastic service, extremely comfortable rooms with large bathrooms. The beach - with bar - is fabulous! Recommend a stay here, not far from the Marina Mall and Emirates Palace. You can hear the morning prayers from the Grand Mosque, and the city view is magnificent. Excellent service from all the staff.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a city view, and try to wake up in time for morning prayers which can be heard f...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (464)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Helsinki
Reviewed September 24, 2012

In Abu Dhabi you get what you expect from an Intercontinental. Nothing to complain, very smooth stay. However the tomato-chili-cheese omelette served in the club lounge for breakfast was maybe the best I have ever had in a hotel. Location is convinient next to Emirates Palace (nice restaurants) and Marina Mall (if you are into shopping). Easy to recommend for business but maybe not for holiday.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Newcastle upon Tyne
Reviewed September 23, 2012

I was here for 3 days holiday prior to going on to Dubai. Arrived about 10pm and on arrival we had been upgraded to what must have been one of the largest suites in the hotel from a junior suite (due to plat ambassador status). All the staff we encountered were very helpful. I hurt my foot playing tennis there and they found me a pair of crutches straight away. The pool area is a bit basic but the pool itself was fine. Always found a sun lounger when we needed them and alwasy staff in attendence and plenty of towels available. The gym was very good, as were the restaurants and bars we used. The staff in the club lounge were very helpful and the buffet breakfast was absolutely fine (preferable to the main breakfast restaurant downstairs, which we did ot use as it always looked busy). On the downside, the internet was very slow and the decor in the public areas looks a bit dated now. Beach club service was also excellent. I woudl certainly stay there again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed September 12, 2012

Arrived late, no parking space, no welcome drink, and no upgrade. Spent almost half an hour finally gave up, parked on the curbside, arrange the stuffs and hand over the keys to Valet. I could have given my car at first place, but this wasn't the case, no worry with the tipping - gratuity is part of our lives, just please keep the space pre assigned for guests, so that we can conveniently take the car in and out whenever we want or we might need anything from the car without waiting or wasting (concierge's time).To our PC buddies, pls be aware when you're using rewards nights, or point + cash booking, they might double charge you on departure. It happened to me this time, I used $40 + points. They took my credit card authorization, and while departing charging the same $40 that I have paid online (in fact it was already charged to my card even in the time of booking) plus sevices charges and tourism fee. I did not notice this, untill I checked my card statement. For info, the person at the counter was the "Supervisor", I believe the priorityclub rewards thing is not something new for him. To recap this whole experience, if you're coming as a tourist, plan to visit Abu Dhabi just for a day. This might save your day: Stay at Intercont Dubai Festival City. Leave from Dubai early morning (trip to Abu Dhabi will take only 1 hour 20 min max may be less in the weekends). Go straight to Yas Island Ferrari World, and drive to downtown + Emirates Palace + Marina Mall in the afternoon. Go back to Dubai in the evening. But if you insist to stay over in Abu Dhabi, there are plenty hotels within the Corniche or choose one of Yas Islands hotels you won't be mistaken. Especially if you like golfing Saadiyat Island or Yas links would be the perfect outing for families.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Abu Dhabi, responded to this review, September 28, 2012
Dear explorer7739,

Thank you for being a Priority Club Member and for taking the time to post a review of our property. Please accept my sincerest apologies for the unacceptable service you received during your stay and for the issues you had with the billing. I would like to address this with you further. I have sent you a private message to obtain more information about your stay. I look forward to hearing from you and being of further assistance.

Karen C
Case Manager
IHGCare
Stonehouse, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 9, 2012

Staff in all areas gave excellent service.We arrived after a night flight and had booked a club room it wasnt ready,but we were offered breakfast and a chance to freshen up.We were kept up to date as our room still was not available we were upgraded to a suite.The Club package was excellent and so were all the staff who ensured you were well looked after .The concerge
staff were also extremely helpfull.And the food was excellent and beautifully presented.

Room Tip: Choose the club package.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank norma j
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed September 9, 2012

I stayed at the IC Hotel in Abu Dhabi for a month before kicking off a career in teaching. As you drive up to the front of the hotel you are greeted with genuinely warm and friendly smiles from the valet parking staff of which Raouf, Mujjadad and Harintha stand out.

As you enter the lobby area you will find tasteful decor - not over-elaborate - but exquisite in its simplicity. There you will find guys like Emad and Prakash who are always willing to help. And at the reception/front desk is Michael who is helpful and informative.
I had a room on the 7th Floor with a view of the pool and the beach. It was light and airy and we had a lovely lady called Lourdes from Housekeeping who ensured the room was immaculately clean and made sure we had a plentiful supply of water.

The breakfast menu was good with lots of variety to suit all. Staff are aware to keep Pork/Meat items separate from the vegetarian dishes. If you ever need something, Nalin would be on hand to ensure you got it.

On the downside there was some minor construction work ongoing at the beach area. Not a major inconvenience just not aesthetically pleasing.While the hotel has all the services you would expect from a 5* hotel, there was no soft play area for children and no private pool for women only.

But to end where I began - the most impressive aspect of this hotel is the staff/team. Every team has a star player but by far the star player in this wonderful team is Raouf. He is a genuine personality - friendly and polite without expecting a dhirham in return - just a simple hi/smile is what makes him buzz.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Fatema K
Wilmslow, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 5, 2012

Booked the intercontinental without even thinking twice given it's reputation for being a top class hotel. Have stayed at other intercontinental hotels previously. This was our first time here.

The website also depicts a Hotel that oozes class as one might expect; especially so in UAE with the glittering array of World Class Hotels in both Abu Dhabi and neighbouring Dubai.

Unfortunately, the experience we had was nothing short of dreadful.

I have listed highlighted the different areas and our experiences as follows:

Check-in:
As with Dubai, flights arrive pretty late in the evening and by the time one gets to the hotel it is past midnight and all you want is to get in and up to your room with minimum fuss. Was that the case? Not at all... the front desk individual was rude, arrogant and totally unconcerned that i had a family (2 young children) waiting behind me. No welcome, no offer of a cold drink, no acknowledgement of my status as a Gold member of the Priority Club, no upgrade (as was expected) no information about anything useful, no direction and guidance to the Hotel lifts... all he was concerned with was taking my credit card swipe for guarantee and telling me that i could not have any dinner and that room service was the only option... truly shocking check-in experience.

In Room Failures:
No sooner had we got to our room we noticed the room was incredibly dark even with the master lights on. The lighting was poor for the space of the room. Furthermore the lighting control was fanciful yet simply illogical as one spent more time trying to work out what buttons turn out which zones and vice versa.

The Cot we ordered for our baby was in the room but broken.. that was visible as we walked in as the side rail had collapsed in and couldn't be fixed back.

Next problem the tap in the bathroom main sink was broken.. at 1am we had to call someone to come and get that fixed before we could freshen up.

The family was hungry and even though we had the room on half board we were given no options as we had arrived late. We tried looking for the in room dining menu.. Alas nowhere to be seen.. We then called for that.. By that stage we gave up and went to bed.

The Bed mattress was like sleeping on a water bed.. the pillows were useless as they were way too soft.

The phone system was antiquated, incredibly there was no direct buttons for the different services in the hotel.. Only concierge and in-room dining. Every other time one had to dial zero.. On so many occasions the phone would just ring out with noone actually answering.. Same with front desk and concierge... it was simply appalling service and so shocking.

We asked for Warm milk for our 2yr old and that simple request caused so much fuss with In-room dining that i refused to speak to them anymore.. they were rude and aggressive and had no idea whatsoever how to speak to guests (jamal). I asked to speak to the Manager about getting a timely glass of warm milk for our little one and he eventually intervened to ensure we could have that without being charged. Unfortunately, that was not the end of it as the problems kept coming as each time in-room dining gave us a problem.. And for the life of me they never sent the Milk warm.. It was always boiling hot!

It is incredible that the Hotel try and charge for a glass of warm milk for a 2yr old.. For grown children or adults, yes, understandable but for an infant is deplorable. I have NEVER encountered a 5 star Hotel being so awkward and difficult.

The lighting in the Wardrobe would NEVER turn off by itself as you closed the doors. That kept light flooding into the main room.

The Electronic Safe was temperamental: battery low or chose not to open with our security code.. More unnecessary aggravation.

There was a small decorative glass round table in the room one nudge and the glass top would come off.. So dangerous with children in the room.. No idea why basics aren't checked.. There is no way that table design should be in any of the rooms unless the glass is adequately secured!

The TV and channels available were totally rubbish.. Nothing of interest to anyone i would imagine.. Need a total overhaul unless you want to watch CNN all day.. Furthermore the signal quality was diabolical on so many of the channels.. On holiday we like to watch a late night movie when the kids have gone to sleep that was not possible given the channels available. One of the worst TV offerings ever seen in a 5 star hotel.

The AC control panel and system were unreliable and unstable. The buttons on the electronic panel would sometimes not work at all. The system would also shut itself down on it's own accord, other times the system would not respond to the desired temperature. An engineer changed a capacitor one time, that did not fix the problem however, but he left a nice mess in the bathroom in the process.

Dining Options:
Basically only 1 restaurant available for those on half board. The same place for breakfast, lunch and dinner. The selection same everyday with little or no variation made the dining experience very dry. At no point were we told of any other options and if indeed we could upgrade.

Breakfast was a total joke: we found ourselves queuing several days just to get a table. The staff (almost all) were a total waste of space.. They looked disinterested, never cleaned the table in a timely manner, never helped us, at times ignored us, other times simply did not understand simple requests (tea spoons, napkins etc etc). It was truly abysmal the service and experience like nothing we have experienced before.. In fact i would go as far as saying i have had better experiences in 3 star apartment hotels (ibis/travelodge). It was like a zoo with animals all feeding at once with no organization and items of food not replaced.

The only difference with Dinner was that there weren't so many people but it was the same old tired buffet everyday.. We paid to eat out a few days just to get out of the Hotel.

Swimming Pool:
1 main Outdoor Pool with small adjoining children's pool. Not a wow-factor pool, just functional and drab to be brutally honest. Sun loungers get taken early and unfortunately nobody is there to assist. You have to move the sun shades yourself and go looking for towels. The occasional Lifeguard tells children to stop diving into the small pool.

The first day we visited there was no space for us by 11am.. The attendant asked why don't we go to the Beach?! We looked at each other in amazement and went back to our rooms.

Gym & Health Club:
Very well equipped, polite staff and one of the few areas befitting of this kind of Hotel.. Great if you want to spend your days here ;-) This was given a makeover recently hence the raised standard in comparison to other areas of the Hotel.

Fishmarket Restaurant was another highlight. Here we found one member of staff who had the required knowledge and helped in the right manner: Take a bow Suraj. Lovely dining experience with incredible food but be prepared to have holes burned in all pockets.. Thankfully we had a complimentary meal there!

Housekeeping:
Truly useless. They Make the beds and that's it.. Don’t bother picking used packets, empty bottles, cleaning used glasses, replacing tea supplies, cleaning baths. Small sanitary bins in the rooms are not enough for a bathroom let alone for a family in a hotel room.. no thought gone into that. Same with the Ironing Board.. Huge metal hooks protrude from one side asking for trouble! Carpet in the bedroom had hairs all over them, not sure if the Vacuum didn't work or they simply didn't bother. One day my wife left used packets around the floor to see if they were picked up.. no surprises they weren't!

Concierge:
On so many occasions we found ourselves baffled why they knew so little. I mean aren't these guys supposed to know where, when, and how? As an example we asked for a nice Italian restaurant for a pizza and they recommended Pizza Hut !!! Another time i asked about the bus service to Dubai, they had no clue how long it took, where it stopped and where it came back from.. What’s worse is that they made no attempt to even find out! Danny was best of a truly bad bunch.

Beach & Marina:
few minute walk across the Marina to the Beach. Lovely view en-route of construction workers and accompanying noise right next to beach. Apparently found out they are re-doing the beach area.. Would have been nice to be told this beforehand! Had no assistance from anyone to get our buggy to a sun shade on the beach... no help to move the beds and no one on hand to ask if we wanted any drinks... at 48 degrees C they were probably taking cover!

Lobby and General Impression:
Good if you didn't know how bad the service was behind the scenes. The front desk need some serious lessons in how to be more courteous maybe take some lessons from the Bell Boys? Checkout had me waiting for 15 minutes whilst they were seeing to time-wasters.. If they had any idea of professionalism or manners they may have got someone else to come out and assist. That was asking too much i guess.. When eventually seen to, Amrou dealt with my checkout painlessly (thankfully).

Club Lounge (18th Floor):
Well worth a visit purely for the amazing views alone. The staff on the desk epitomize what is wrong with the Hotel: rude, arrogant, condescending and impolite. Our keys needed re-doing after they mysteriously failed on occasions; the staff member took the keys and made me wait for an eternity while he worked out how the machine reader worked. Not once did he apologize for keeping me waiting, let alone asking me to take a seat and getting me a drink!

We had access to the club lounge but were made to feel like we were not worthy.. real attitude problem from the staff was evident each day. The serving staff were much better especially Jociel and another chap (from Kerala India).

The most shocking experience we had here was when we were told that we had to leave if our 6m old baby continued to make talking sounds.. We were totally dumbfounded by this lady and should have really given her a piece of our minds! They are not worthy of customer facing roles.

Bottom Line:
A truly woeful experience across the board that couldn't be made up with a free meal. The Hotel has serious issues with its staff. No idea if it's poor training or simply because they have pulled in anyone from the streets to make up the numbers owing to staff shortages. Nevertheless, it's not as if this hotel is a year old with teething problems. They simply have no Excuse!

Intercontinental Abu Dhabi was supposed to be one of the best Hotels in the state!! From our experience it has to be one of the worst and one i would NEVER want to return to. Most certainly would NOT recommend this hotel to anyone.

Even if someone else was paying for my stay (business use) i would try a different hotel.. Others who have left positive feedback may have had their stay paid for as there is no way we have been unlucky. Unlucky would mean 1 or 2 bad experiences or failings.. What we experienced was systematic failings of the fundamentals let alone reaching anywhere near 5 star standard!

Family Holiday well and truly wasted and ruined!

Room Tip: City facing Rooms have construction Noise all night. Sea facing rooms come at a premium and are not...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
7 Thank Kul_UK
InterContinentalAD, Public Relations Manager at InterContinental Abu Dhabi, responded to this review, September 10, 2012
Dear Guest
Thank you very much for your kind feedback on your last stay with us at InterContinental Abu Dhabi. Your comments were thoroughly reviewed by the management team and action has been taken to rectify the issues you mentioned.

Please feel free to let me know if I can be of any service to you in the future, in the meantime, I thank yet again and look forward to welcoming you to the InterContinental Abu Dhabi, where the whole team will do their utmost to insure you have a pleasant stay.
Best regards
Reema Baroudi
Director of PR & Communications"