“Not what I expected”

Ranked #18 of 128 Hotels in Abu Dhabi
Reviewed July 6, 2011

Stayed for one night on the weekend on May 2011, I was expecting higher standard of service however the stuff were still very friendly.

Took long time to do the check in but finally we get the keys, the room is spacious with great amenities, I sleepy peacefully.

The yacht club was great, pool area was small but I’ve enjoyed it.

Breakfast buffet was rich however the stuff was not every efficient in taking the orders.

Negative point: people were smoking inside the restaurant!! Some places next to our table were not clean and this shouldn’t be presented in Intercontinental.

Generally the experience was good but the hotel management needs to look for the standard and to monitor any negative comments from the guests.

It can be good option if the rates were not high, also different cuisines is a positive option for the hotel.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends
3  Thank Mohi_Khater
InterContinentalAD, Public Relations Manager at InterContinental Abu Dhabi, responded to this reviewResponded July 9, 2011

Dear Mohi_Khater,

Thank you for taking the time to communicate your concerns.
We apologize for any inconveniences you have experienced during your stay.

We are glad to hear you enjoyed your room, The Yacht Club, pool facilities and breakfast buffet.
However, we are sorry to hear our service did not meet your expectations and we take your feedback into consideration when reviewing our services.

Thank you again for your comments.
Your business is valued and we hope your future visits to Abu Dhabi will continue to include InterContinental Abu Dhabi.

InterContinental Abu Dhabi

Write a ReviewReviews (2,424)

Reviewed July 2, 2011

I have visited your hotel in abudhabi many times but my last visit was the worst from things that happened to myself which was either a lack of your service or just plane ignorance.

I stayed for three nights in room 1709 under the name of Ali Salem Al Muhairi, there are minor issues that led to a very bad feeling for myself.

1- we have ordered a cheesburger from room service for two person and requested a bucket of ice, we called and they told us that we have a limited stock of ice and there's a charge of 25 aed. This is the first time in my life that I heard a bucket of ice is charged.

2- we were on the beach the other day and again the same ice issue occured, we had two red bulls and a large bottle of water, when we asked the employee who worked in the bar again he said there's a limited stock of ice and we had to drink the very hot bottle of water. But surprisingly we saw other people on the beach who were drinking beer had their ice buckets coming and coming.

3-the other day we went to the beach, as I know they always give two towels for whoever go to the beach. The person in front of us wrote his name and number and the employee gave him 2 towels but when I wrote my name and greeted him he only gave me one towel, and I told him shouldn't you give me 2, he handed me another towel. I don't know what this reaction is called but its not polite.

4 - in our check out, I have seen the bill which had a charge of 95 dirhams of full day internet charge for 2 days, when I checked with the employee I told him I haven't used them, he just made me sign on a paper and printed a new bill without giving me any excuse why it was on my bill. So, I was wondering if I have told him I didn't stay in the room on this day when the charge was 600 would he have cancelled it without even asking?

This was a really bad experience for me and I really loved this hotel with perfect standards, but I assure you that I won't recommend this hotel to anybody and it was my last visit to your hotel.

Ali Salem Al Muhairi

• Stayed: June 2011
InterContinentalAD, Public Relations Manager at InterContinental Abu Dhabi, responded to this reviewResponded July 5, 2011

Dear Mr. Al Muhairi,

First and foremost, we would like to thank you for sharing your concerns with us.
Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconveniences experienced during your stay.

A representative from our management team will get in touch with you to personally apologize and discuss this matter further.

Thank you again for your feedback.

Reviewed June 28, 2011

This is by a long way the best IC I have stayed in. Staff and management provide an absolutely stunning service. The choice of restaurants is just mind boggling. (Smoking is allowed in UAE, and that is a downside for UAE, not IC, who actually managed this very well)

Highly recommended, - the hotel does not necessarily look to good amongst all the skyscrapers in UAE - but it is certainly excellent "on the inside".

2  Thank Frudle

Dear Frudle,

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback.

We are pleased to read your comments about your stay with us.

We look forward to welcoming you back to InterContinental Abu Dhabi in the near future.

Reviewed June 27, 2011

Stayed here for a few days on a work trip, on which I brought my wife. Absolutely no issues - easy check-in, etc. - and great location near Emirates Palace and not too far from the main business areas. We took three hours at the end of our trip to hang out at the hotel beach, which was a nice bonus.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank patdoc

Dear patdoc,

Thank you for your kind review.

We are glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and benefited from our services, hotel location and beach.

We hope to welcome you back to InterContinental Abu Dhabi during your next visit to the capital.

Management Team,

Reviewed June 27, 2011

I arrived during the morning, having let the hotel know in advance, and I was able to check in straight away; ideal for preparing for afternoon meetings. Good start.

Staff: excellent, without exception.

The room was clean, modern and very comfortable. Can never get rooms in the region cold enough at night, but the controls for lights, aircon etc were excellent - people who have stayed there will know what I mean.

Room service and laundry all quick and very good.

Restaurants: buffet breakfast served on level 3 was to the usual high standards one would expect. Didn't have dinner there.
Other options included the "Yacht Club", an Italian and a Brazilian restaurant, none of which I used.
I did try out the Belgian Cafe which to my surprise was fairly authentic. The beer was excellent, although very, very expensive. Unlimited Moules on Tuesday was a real find.
The only downside was that service was horrendously slow. It was busy, but the UAE is normally swimming in staff available to serve; not so the BG. An hour from ordering pudding to getting the bill? A pity. It didn't spoil it too much, as I did go back.

If you're expecting a beach on the waterfront, you'll be a little disappointed. Land reclamation means that it is now a small lagoon. Isn't that just like the UAE though.

All in all, it will be the hotel I'll opt for again, tariffs allowing.

The one thing I would say, watch out for the costs of Wifi and the hotel phone. The phone was either 1,000 times or 4,000 times more expensive than calling the UAE from a UK landline. In this day and age, with the tariffs available, there's no excuse for these sort of charges.

3  Thank ozsteopath

Dear ozsteopatj,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments and concerns with us.
We sincerely apologize for the inconveniences experienced during your stay.

We are happy to hear your feedback about the service of our staff, your room, our various dining venues and laundry services.
However, we are sorry to hear certain aspects of your stay did not meet your expectations.

Rest assured, your feedback is highly appreciated and taken into consideration when reviewing our services.

We look forward to welcoming you back to InterContinental Abu Dhabi during your next stay.

Reviewed June 26, 2011

I've just had two weeks in this lovely hotel and found it to be very comfortable. The hotel was one of the first 5 star hotels in Abu Dhabi and has recently had a complete makeover (which made problems with the water supply something of a surprise). The rooms are nice with free internet now a great bonus, and the staff are consistently excellent. The breakfast buffet is very good with a great variety of food, although it does get busy at the weekend. The restaurants are consistently very good too, although the Belgian Cafe can be very noisy. The Yacht Club has excellent Japanese food. The hotel has a very good location and Abu Dhabi is becoming an increasingly interesting city to visit.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the Marina are sought after
3  Thank IanfromRAK
InterContinentalAD, Public Relations Manager at InterContinental Abu Dhabi, responded to this reviewResponded July 4, 2011

Dear IanfromRAK,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us.

We are happy to hear you enjoyed your two weeks stay with us and benefited from your room, our many restaurants and the hotel location.

We hope to welcome you back during your next visit to Abu Dhabi.

Reviewed June 25, 2011

I thoroughly enjoyed my overnight stay at this hotel in a Club room, city view. The extras, such as Club lounge access, buffet breakfast, all-day snacks and evening drinks and canapes starting at 7pm - unlike other hotels where I have stayed commencing at 6pm - still seem to make the extra cost worth it. A particular highlight was the Friday buffet brunch in the 'Selections' restaurant.
At all times times staff were particularly courteous and helpful, especially when I encountered a billing error when I arrived back in Australia. This was very quickly and courteously corrected.
I would be more than likely to stay there again.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled solo
3  Thank rockingrobbie73

Dear rockingrobbie73,

Thank you for your review and kind comments.

We are pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and highly appreciate your feedback of our Club Lounge, Selections restaurant and staff services.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.