“Slow service and overpriced”
Review of Monte Carlo Beach Club - CLOSED

Monte Carlo Beach Club
More attraction details
Owner description: Re-branded to Saadiyat Beach Club. Please visit this link: http://www.tripadvisor.con/7108283
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Slow service and overpriced”
Reviewed December 22, 2013

Normally don't write bad reviews as I tend to let people make up their own mind however the Monte Carlo Beach Club was such a waste of time and money that I felt I needed to warn other visitors.

Living in the UAE I'm used to terrible service in most local and chain restaurants but that can be expected with the low prices you normally pay and therefore the low wages of the staff. Monte Carlo Beach Club is expensive even by UAE standards yet the quality of the drinks, service and atmosphere can in no way justify it.

First of all we were greeted at the entrance by someone who we presumed would find us a table but waved us through and after standing awkwardly for a couple minutes with everyone ignoring us we found a table outside. It took 10 minutes of trying to get someones attention to clear the table and get us a menu, another 15 minutes for them to take the order, 15 minutes of waiting before we enquired and found that the first waiter had forgotten to process the order so waited another 15 minutes for the drinks and then we had to walk up to the bar to ask and then pay the bill. The frustrating thing was that there were plenty of staff, they just seemed to be more interested in chatting to each then doing their jobs.

As for the atmosphere, we went there late afternoon as the sun was setting and instead of chilled out lounge music to suit the setting, they were playing some incredibly loud club music. Completely out of place and it meant that I couldn't hear my partner talk - normally not such a bad thing :)!

Altogether we paid $30 for a small wine and a bottle of beer and to be honest if everything else had been perfect then we wouldn't have minded and probably would have stayed for another round or two, however considering the place was terribly run and ruined by the poor choice of music then it just felt like a complete waste.

Avoid at all costs!!!

Visited June 2013
1 Thank SABurgess
Monte-Carlo Bea... C, General Manager at Monte Carlo Beach Club, responded to this review, January 24, 2014
Dear SABurgess,

I'm sorry that you did not receive the warm, personalized service that we are usually known for at the Monte-Carlo. We are currently staffed for off season and were obviously stretched on the day of your visit, however this is no excuse and I offer apologies for this inattentive service. Music preferences are different for all members and guests and we try but do not always succeed in pleasing all tastes. Please contact me if you would like to discuss further.

• Arabic first
London
“Could have been a wonderful visit”
Reviewed December 20, 2013

Whilst the hotel is beautiful and has a lot of potential to offer as a 5 star service, yet, it still lacks a few details. We called on Thursday to book for the brunch on Friday, it took my husband and I 3 calls for someone to call back and confirm the reservation. When we got there, whilst the menus were handed to us, however, we were not explained as to the order of things ie. will we be getting all three courses, or need to choose etc... It was 15 minutes before any of the servers came to our table to take the order; and this only happened because we called one of the managers to come and help! All in all, the meal was good, however, the Turkey and its condiments were cold - which was slightly disappointing. The deserts were amazing and the Chef at the bar did a beautiful job explaining the items, and recommending his preferences.

When we finished our meal, we wanted to walk around to get a feel for the property; since we recently moved to town and wanted to find out what the hotel has to offer especially that we were expecting guests over the New Year.. yet we were chased by Security asking us to go back to the main hotel as we were not 'allowed' to wonder around! A strange concept for an open space/hotel property. if the hotel's interest was to protect swimmers, I am not too sure as to why is the restaurant is then next to the pool in open space. Waiters would have needed to explain that as well, or even a visible sign to explain that would have been more appropriate than being chased, and feel 'humiliated' and chased out! A total disappointing experience in the end

Dear RS,

I'm sorry that your visit was spiked with disappointments. At the time of your visit we were just starting a new format for our Friday brunch and it seems that you suffered from some inconsistent attention from our staff. I apologize for our shortfall, the feedback on the new brunch format has been quite positive and I urge you to revisit.

Just to explain on your point on beach access,m we are actually not a hotel but are a beach club and the access to the beach is only allowed for members and guests who have purchased a day pass and not for diners in the restaurants. The security guard was following the policy but I'm sorry if this interaction was abrasive, he should have offered to call guest services to send someone to guide you on a tour.

Please ask for me on your next visit or contact the club to discuss further with me if you would like.

Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Overpriced Beach Access”
Reviewed December 15, 2013

The Monte Carlo Beach Club is an overpriced beach resort in an area of residential real estate that is largely still under construction as of 21013. It offers a restaurant, bar, beach access and changing rooms on a stretch of Saadiyat Island shore. Day passes cost about $135//pp just to sit on their manicured lawns and shore when you can go down the road a half mile to another public beach where $7 gets you your own chaise chair and sun umbrella. Not worth the cost at all.

Visited January 2013
1 Thank AbuDhabiXpat
Dear AbuDhabiXpat,

Thank you for your comments, I'm sorry that you did not feel that we offered sufficient value during your visit. While we are not the least expensive beach club in the region we are also not the most. I do find your comparison to the public beach interesting as we are totally different experiences. The investment in our property and the extension of the offering much more complex so of course there is a significant difference in the cost of access. This is the norm as the difference in cost for a premium restaurant experience is different than packing a picnic. Please realize that a decision to take an annual membership brings much more value in regards to significant discounts on everything from dining to spa and guest pass access.

Please contact me if you would like to discuss further.

London, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“the perfect brunch date”
Reviewed December 15, 2013

After we were told we were not allowed to board our flight to Vietnam until our visa had been approved, we needed something to lighted our mood...food and alcohol seemed like the perfect answer. My boyfriend lives in AD so suggested the Monte Carlo for brunch and it certainly didn't disappoint! We decided on the 'Sparkling Menu', it was pretty much all delicious (depending on your personal taste). The portion sizes are big but make sure you save yourself for desert...I felt like a child in Willy Wonka's factory trying all the different bits as I went round! The chef was soooo helpful and super talented. Paired with the fact my glass remained full and the view of the sun setting was pretty much perfect, our mood was absolutely lightened!!

Danmark
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Great place”
Reviewed December 14, 2013

A fantastic place to get at break from sightseeing, we just loved everything about it. Luxurious, clean, helpful service.