“Good value for money, clean and comfortable, nice staff”

The Royal International Hotel
Ranked #101 of 129 Hotels in Abu Dhabi
Utrecht, The Netherlands
“Good value for money, clean and comfortable, nice staff”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2014

Rooms are clean, bed is comfortable, parking is on site and free. Staff was indeed serious, but very willing to help out. Went trhough great lenghts to help us on the "take a rental car to Oman" issue. No complaints whatsoever.
Through Hotwire we paid a lot less than we would have using the hotel website.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2014

As per my experience. Its one of the best location. But as said by others Staffs looks very serious and No one welcomes you or Even Smiles with U!. House keeping is very poor and not doing on daily basis as their duty. Optimistic restaurant staffs thinks that we stayed their as Free Customer. If we ask any thing they will show the Item place from very far and they will not help u at all. As said by others I also had problems with Other room door closer's which is banging and disturbs U day & Night. Hope there is no maintenance staff available to repair all these things.
In my view it is better to see some other hotel where hospitality is available.

Room Tip: Non Smoking Rooms are small in size but good in condition comparing to Smoking Rooms which is big in...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2014

Stayed at The Royal International Hotel for couple days and it was disappointed with the service. Myself coming from Hospitality background it was easy to find so many faults and some of the really major!! Staff to much focus in paper work and not on guests. Staff blowing their nose in public areas and shaking guests hands..... ect ect ect...
At check-in there was no friendliness at all with basic information.. not even a welcome or a smile (those are basic standards for customer services). Booked a Club room and was upgraded to a suite... very nice and spacious room, however filthy, carpet not vacuum, bulb lights not working. Bath room towels with some hols... for a new Hotel it is unacceptable. Next day room was only cleaned after 19:00... and it was required called several times HK Dep. and following Recep. Supervisor... however completed ignored (No customer focus at all... or at least trying to be a little more professionals..). My last night in the suite, it was awful as at 01:00am had some extra little discussing visitors (.on video..) coming from the ceiling frame in the entry area of the suite. It was mentioned to the Front Office... however there was no feedback from The Royal International Hotel management..

Room Tip: Higher floor have less noise from traffic however A/C to noisy.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business

Travelers are raving about these Abu Dhabi hotels

Canterbury, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2014

This hotel only opened last year, but there are already many issues with it.

Let me list the good, the bad and the ugly - and then make up your own mind.

The good:
- Some aspects of the location - it is on the main road, and close to several of the business areas, has a supermarket just behind it and a garage shop to one side (you'll see why this is important in a moment)
- the decor is bright and up to date
- most of the staff are lovely, particularly the porters and bell staff, and the waiters and chefs in the Optimist Restaurant, who were very nice and chatty
- the beds are very comfortable
- the baths the deepest I have ever come across in the GCC

The bad:
- reception staff are not that friendly or welcoming, I think because they take a lot of slack and comments on the following -
- the rooms all seem to be in need of a first fix, very few of the cupboard doors are properly fitted, and hang at awkward angles, the shower door hasn't been fitted correctly and so won't close, the bathroom light-up mirror didn't work and looked as though it hadn't been fixed to the electricity circuit, the overflow hasn't been fitted, etc etc
- broken toilet seat that hadn't been replaced
- the mini-bar beeps infuriatingly every hour or so, which kept waking me up
- the room wasn't very clean on arrival, peanuts, other people's hairs and worse in the bathroom
- the room cleaner didn't always come and clean the room
- when the cleaner did come they didn't seem to vacuum
- shampoo, cottonwool, ear buds, etc were not replaced after my first night
- at some times of the day there weren't enough bell hops and the valet parking went unattended (generally the busiest time of the day in the morning)
- the gym was never open, and didn't advertise it's opening times, when I asked for it to be opened I was told there was no-one available
- the swimming pool is overlooked by a restaurant, and not always warm enough
- the rooms are noisy - lots of noise from the road outside, and rooms around me - a night ruined by a screaming baby, another by people coming and going all night long and between doors that bang very loudly and a lift that 'dings' on each floor!!
- the desk is too high to work at comfortably (and I'm tall, so would be impossible for a short person!)
- not enough choice at the buffet restaurant

The ugly:
- My first night - I was on full board - I arrived late and went to the Optimum Restaurant at about 22.00, much of the food looked decidedly unappetising and as though it had been put out many hours beforehand, sauces were congealed, some of the bread was stale, there even looked to be a bit of mould on some of it. I only touched some vegetable soup, which was almost cold and a little pasta which was also cold.
Unfortunately this continued.....
Breakfasts were much better, but I was eating them early and the food had just been cooked, the breakfast chef also kept the hot plates set much higher and would cook eggs and omelettes to order.
Dinners continued to disappoint - the food was never hot enough, and some things were dangerously cold and even undercooked, the salad items always seemed a little too warm, the choice was 'samey' to say the least

This could be a good hotel, but lots of things need to be attended to, and there need to be a lot more cleaners!

Room Tip: Rooms at the back of the hotel are a bit quieter, and away from the lift will be quieter. Don'...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Miami Beach, Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2014

That was my terrible experience of staying in hotels. This scarry stay started with check-in. We booked room for 3 people with breakfasts, but receptionist told to us that we will have a room for 2 people with a child, and breakfast will be just for 2 persons. What? I'm not a 9 years old child! When i've shown our confirmation to her, she started angry on us. I've asked her to be more polite, we are the guests in their hotel. She called a manager MUSTAPHA, he repeated the same as her even more coarse form. In their system they see 2 people with breakfast and one child without. He told it is our problem, not their. I asked to call to the booking.com. Manager of booking.com told we are absolutely right. I asked to explain it to this manager. Check-in lasted more than 1 hour. 35 minutes of that time i was hearing how manager MUSTAPHA nervously swears with booking.com. His face was red with anger. Then booking.com adviced us to pay for the breakfast, MUSTAPHA promised them and us that it will be cost just 50 dirham (10 euro), and booking.com will return to us these money back. Of course he lied. During check-out he told I didn't promised to you anything. i paid not 50 dirham for a brekfast a day, but 87 (17 euro). Be careful, Mustapha is not only snapper, also he is a liar! Don't believe him if he will promise you something.
Ofcourse in our room we found small bed 167-170cm longs. For a child. I was sleeping at that bed.
At 2a.m. I woke up, at our room was very strong smell of the fish and burned vegetable oil which were going from airconditioner. I couldn't breath. We turned off airconditioner and opened a window to the very noise street. Next day receptionist told to us it is not their problem, everything alright with their aircondition, i might be joking. They won't give us any compensation for that and they don't have any rooms available! Ofcourse she told like a policeman. I started be very angry. In 1 minute she said, i have one available room. When bellman've shown our new room she told us that they have this problem with all rooms on every floors that ends 06,07,08. They are located above a restaraunt and have collective ventilation extract.
We canceled our last night in this unfriendly hotel.
So this is not a ROYAL HOTEL, this is prison with angry receptionists and very agressive manager Mustapha. Beware of this hotel, no one there will not help you!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank Ivan U
United Kingdowm
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2014

A group of us stayed at the hotel in November 2013 and it's great for what you need. The concierge couldn't help enough (getting taxi's, taking luggage) but there were a couple of areas for improvement....

- We asked 3 or 4 times for an ironing board before receiving one. We were then asked to call back after 1 hour so someone could collect it.
- Smoking shisha by the pool...we asked how much it was, "free" and upon check out, it cost us and because the guy who had prepared it for us didn't give us a receipt, he had probably pocketed the money.
- The pool area requires more sun loungers...4 was not enough! When some more friends stayed at the hotel, one day they had a 5th sun lounger and the next day "we don't have anymore"
- The sun goes pretty quickly too but not sure if that's the time of year
- Someone else mentioned about the room smelling of food, ours did too but not sure if that's just the location of the room in relation to where the kitchens were
- The 'fitness area' had a kids slide in it, so really sure how you'd work out in there!!

Would I stay there again? Yeah, I think I would as the above things don't usually bother me but I just think they are things they could improve upon. Regardless of the above, this is a well located hotel for a good price.

Room Tip: Request a room on a higher floor for good views.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2014 via mobile

Well where to start.
I booked this hotel via Expedia which seemed quite start forward. I put the criteria of 2 adults and one 11 year old child. The booking was strait forward.
We got to the hotel at 11. 20 at night to find they had us a room booked with one king size bed!!. I quesioned this and they told me this is normal!!! I explained it is not ethical to have an 11 year old sharing a bed with adults. After a little discussion the gave us a twin room and a pull out bed for my little girl and house keeping came to prepair. I had to instruct them however to put the twin beds together. So now we had a room which fitted our needs.
In the morning wearing from travelling we thought breakfast via room service would be ideal so we ordered. 45 minutes later it turned up. Luke warm and a great salad instead of fruit salad!!! We were so hungry we complained but nothing was done about it.we then went out for the day but on our return all 3 of us wanted to shower but we only had one bath towel so we called house keeping for 2 more. Again 35 minutes later they turned up. Also the was only half a loo roll so we ask for another. Again a huge delay before it came. This happened almost daily with something missing or not right. This probably makes me sound fussy but I assure you I am not. In fact if these room service and house keeping issues where resolved this would be a super hotel. The decor , the door staff and reception staff where really good. And always greated you with a smile

Stayed December 2013, traveled with family