“Great service, great rooms, relaxing stay”

Anantara Eastern Mangroves Hotel & Spa
Ranked #23 of 128 Hotels in Abu Dhabi
Reviewed August 16, 2013

After a disastrous check-in at Emirates Palace hotel which we subsequently left and refused to stay at, called our travel concierge who booked us at Eastern Mangroves. What a remarkable difference.

At check-in, told the front desk what had happened at Emirates Palace (wrong room, etc... see previous post). They asked us to sit, gave some coffee and drinks for the kids and arranged the rooms. We booked two rooms (great rate) - they upgraded us to a mangrove facing view.

Service "behind the counter" was super. Daniel and Shayam were very understanding, patient, and friendly. They tried to make up for the poor afternoon we just experienced and the whole atmosphere was relaxed and accommodating.

The rooms were great - very large size. Bigger than at Emirates Palace and more comfortable. We were given rooms next door to one another which then had another door outside that kind of made the rooms interconnecting.

Staff at the pool were friendly and taking care of us. Staff at the restaurant were smiling and relaxed. Food was good with a wide selection.

The hotel is very calming and relaxing. Buildings can be replicated easily - but the service levels are ingrained. Service is an intangible and either "you have it or your don't". Eastern Mangroves staff have it which is a delight.

We were supposed to stay 2 nights....we ended up extending and stayed 3 nights instead.

Emirates Palace can learn how to provide personalised service from the staff at Eastern Mangroves!

We'll be back for sure. Recommended.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Sanjay S
Moritz K, General Manager at Anantara Eastern Mangroves Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 18, 2013

Dear sanjaysethi,

Greetings from Eastern Mangroves Hotel & Spa by Anantara! The team and I have been delighted to read your kind posting and we are happy that you have had an enjoyable stay. Your note about the food was especially appreciated. Please do visit us soon and then don't hesitate to contact us directly.
With kind regards

Moritz Klein

Write a ReviewReviews (1,415)

Reviewed August 15, 2013

We stayed in the property for 3 nights during Ramadan.

Living in the UAE I though why not try a overnight stay in one of the newer hotels in Abu Dhabi.
With the though in mind of just recharging the mind and body!

The property it self is just amazing, from the design (traditional arabic) to the location, overlooking the beautiful mangroves.

The staff from all levels was helpful and very friendly, from the beginning until the very last moment. The pool and environment are truly so relaxing and just a lovely vibe it creates.

The Best of our experience is the FOOD, the place is Amazing, the selections, the freshness, the restaurants just fantastic!

There might have been a little confusion though I assume cause of ramadan, whether drinking at the pool was yes or not allowed, maybe communication confusion,... but then again we survived so,... :)

I can truly recommend this hotel to anyone who is looking for a relaxing self energizing stay in the UAE and of course the food not to forget!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank WHB88
Reviewed August 10, 2013

We have just returned from a short 1 night break from the Dubai Eid chaos! We booked one of the summer packages with F&B credits which offered amazing value. The staff were excellent throughout especially Fatma at the front desk who made our stay with a one year old as comfortable as possible. Food in the Thai and all day dining (breakfast) was very good and drinks were reasonable. Would recommend if you are looking for total chill out on a low key scale especially with the summer offer, we are heading back in 6 weeks with 8 friends to do it all over again.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank got2bfunky
Reviewed August 5, 2013

I stayed for a week from 29th June and could not believe how under used this hotel was. Admittedly it was the start of the hot season and Ramadan was just around the corner but even so, it was very quiet. I have stayed at other hotels in the emirates and the Eastern Mangroves compared very well indeed; in fact, the feel and atmosphere of the hotel was more traditional Arabian than many of the bland international corporate boxes found elsewhere which makes it stand out.

The only reason I can think for it being under-utilised is its location, but with taxi fares so inexpensive (and carefully regulated) and the airport, Grand Mosque and the Corniche all so accessible that is not really a reason for avoiding this lovely hotel.

Well appointed, I walked into a cool and airy reception, with a large water feature surrounded by mountains of fruit, and was treated to an efficient and friendly welcome. The water feature that dominates the reception areas mimics the infinity pool that can be seen through the tall glass windows and doors that overlook the pool and bathing area which, in turn, looks out onto the mangroves. First impressions were good.

Within two days, most if not all, the front of house staff knew my name and were greeting me, respectfully, like an old friend ... if anything the attention at breakfast was a little overwhelming with staff competing with each other to refill my coffee. Breakfast is ridiculously opulent with two chef stations cooking bespoke items, a vast array of fruit, cereal, yogurt, pasta, hot and cold meats, cheeses ... I shall try and give you a sense of the range of options by telling you I could take advantage of any of eight different types of salt to season my food!

The roof top bar and its balcony were, like all areas of the hotel, under used when I took the opportunity go there - again no fault of the staff who could not have done more to make me feel welcome. I only managed the Thai restaurant Pachaylen on one evening but when I did visit I had a fantastic Thai lamb shank dish that I can thoroughly recommend.

My room was a proper 5 star facility, beautifully laid out, scrupulously clean, massive with everything you might expect up to, and including, a delonghi coffee maker if you fancy an espresso hit before leaving your room in the morning.

My only disappointment was that on check in it appeared I would have to pay for unlimited internet access which I would not necessarily have anticipated at a top end hotel and, as this was a working trip, it would have been a mild inconvenience. As it happens I was advised by reception that by filling in a small registration card (I assume for marketing purposes) I could get free unlimited access for the duration of my stay. This meant that I could use the strong wi-fi signal in my room, in the communal lounge and reception areas and even - though intermittently - the roof top bar.

Thoroughly recommended for business travel, where your every need is catered for, and also for shorter stay holiday breaks though I guess it might be a little quiet for anything more than a three or four day stay if on holiday? Probably says more about me than this fantastic hotel ... thoroughly recommended.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank RenfromKent
Moritz K, General Manager at Anantara Eastern Mangroves Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 7, 2013

Dear RenfromKent,

A big thank you from all of us here at Eastern Mangroves Hotel & Spa by Anantara for your very detailed review. It is motivating to read all your comments and that you recognize our location to be of advantage. Your lovely comments on our food selection and other areas are shared with the team who are equally excited about it.

Thank you once more.

Looking forward to welcoming you back I remain
With kind regards

Reviewed August 4, 2013

We stayed here during Ramadan and found the service and the break this weekend absolutely amazing.
A truly 5 star hotel, there is nothing negative to be said about this hotel.
Thank you to all the staff who made our stay very special.

Room Tip: Ask for a pool view
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank FarrahDubai

Dear FarrahDubai,

Thank you very much for your kind review! We are all pleased to know that we have made you happy during your stay! Eid Mubarak and please visit us again!
Regards

Reviewed August 1, 2013

Spacious and clean facilities through out the hotel. Rooms and the bathroom with ample modern amenities and floor space. Mangroves views a plus and recommend. Good restaurant options.
Staff was helpful. Try to catch at low periods for a good rate for a weekend break from Dubai.
+Ve : Away from city center, but with in reach. Big rooms. Close to all Yas island facilities. Outdoor activity option (Kayak rental 150dhs)
-Ve : Kids pool facility needs to be improved dramatically. currently a small water pit. Talking lifts... a bit 90's.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Mir_Dxb
Moritz K, General Manager at Anantara Eastern Mangroves Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 3, 2013

Dear Mir_Dxb,

Greetings from the Eastern Mangroves Hotel & Spa by Anantara!

I have read your review and would like to thank you for your nice comments which I will surely share with the team. Please visit us again.

Kind regards

Reviewed July 27, 2013

This hotel was very nice. Price was reasonable and service for the most part was good. We had reserved a room with a small pool, but upon our arrival were told that the pool rooms were already taken. The lady at the front desk offered to switch us the next day since we had paid for the pool, but the manager told her no, there was a regular guest staying there and she couldn't promise us the room if he extended. I wasn't impressed with his service at all. We have a 3 year old and he insisted she could sleep in a crib rather then sending a cot to our room. The maintenance however obliged and brought us the cot for our daughter.
Other than that, the service was wonderful, buffet breakfast was great - and the spa was out of this world. We will return!

Room Tip: Be careful when booking. Suites do say wade pool, but there's only 4 on the first floor. It...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Angela H

Dear Angela H,

Thank you for posting your review of Eastern Mangroves Hotel & Spa by Anantara. I appreciate your positive comments and I am happy that you and your family have enjoyed your stay. Please accept my apologies for the problems with the rooms allocation and baby cot. That we had another guest occupying one of the four pool suites was unexpected. I will ensure that the team is re-trained and this will not occur again.
Looking forward to welcoming you back I remain,

Kind regards