“Weekend-Bliss”

Ranked #24 of 129 Hotels in Abu Dhabi
Dubai
“Weekend-Bliss”
Reviewed September 20, 2012

We spent a Staycation weened at this new city resort, and we've enjoyed every moment.

From a flawless, very quick and welcoming check-in (Thanks to Rizalyn "I'm from PILIPIIINES" ;-) to the spacious comfortable room, to a calming spa experience with highly professional and skilled therapists. Excellent Thai food (sadly with a rather poor selection of wines, most of which were not available on the evening), an amazing breakfast offering that borders on brunch with sushi, roast, dim sum and lots of other delicacies.

Following an amazing kayak tour crisscrossing the mangrove canals, a comparibly small pool turned out to be very relaxing - good choice of music and volume! - with beautiful views over the mangroves.

Special mention for the thoughtful offering of a good selection of glutenfree food for the growing number of celiacs - yes, I am one of those and I know the pain, trying to find suitable food in hotels. Not here: staff is trained and super supportive. Dimitra, chef at the Greek pool restaurant, made a point of changing cooking oil to prepare my fries!

Even if some of the service staff were rather junior, with poor English language skills and little product knowledge, they had a super-friendly can-do attitude, getting the information. The "super-friendly" was delivered with a good attitude, not even once have I heard this dreaded "yes, ma'aaam" dripping with obedience that is so typical for UAE service. Great Team!

Bottom line: We'll be back, hopefully very soon!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank Saluki_DXB
Nehme D, General Manager at Anantara Eastern Mangroves Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, October 3, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your feedback on trip advisor,

And we are really proud that Rizalyn has kept the Anantara promise and delivered an amazing story during your stay with us,

Thank you again for your feedback and if we can be of any assistance on your next booking please contact us directly,

Nehme Imad Darwiche
ndarwiche@anantara.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (353)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed September 17, 2012

We spent 1 night at the hotel, the lobby is amazing, spacious, we will be welcomed by the traditional arabic coffee and big selection of dates.Staff are very friendly and smily, the room is wonderful, spacious with amazing view facing the mangroves, equipped with the latest technologies.The pool is very nice, staff are very helpful, the breakfast is out of this world, unlimites selection of arabic and international cuisines.Chefs were very nice and helpful especially the chinese chef(chin). The Thai restaurant(Pachaylen) is marvellous, ambiance is very cosy, we tried the thai traditional apetizer(Miam khum),its very nice experience, the staff were helpful and very attentive to details. we will definitely come back:).

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Rouba82
Dear Guest,

Our Promise at Anantara is that very guest leaves with an amazing story, and reading feedback from you that visit us about team associates like chef Chin delivering that promise makes us beleive and strive more to deliver our Promise,

We would love to asssit you with your next visit to our Hotel,

Sincerely

Nehme Imad Darwiche
ndarwiche@anantara.com
Dubai
Reviewed September 13, 2012

I spent two nights at this hotel as part of my business travel. The theme of the hotel is middle-eastern to cater for Western tourists. The room and breakfast were OK, nothing out of the ordinary. They are trying to get a "gourmet" feel and look to their buffets (breakfast, lunch, dinner) by putting small portions of every serving. It's Ok. Their rooms are also OK, clean and organized. Basic 5-star stuff. I've stayed in several 5-star properties in Abu Dhabi and they are far better. The hotel is still new (3 months old) so, lots of renovation: one night I was awakened by a drill sound at 3:00 am!! After complaining, they sent me a complimentary fruit basket to my room, noting that the presence of a daily-replenished fruit basket is a standard in every 5-star hotel in Abu-Dhabi !!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank DubaiConsultant
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed September 11, 2012

Eid is a test to all hotels, let alone new one. I wish I could say that Eastern Mangroves passed with flying colors, but it didn't. However, that is more than understandable in a new hotel. In short the rooms are wonderful, the views are ok, and the service is good but not great though a a lot of effort is invested by the staff. For more details, please read on:

Check-in
We had booked on a special offer that they had, where you get 1200 AED credit to spend in the hotel- nice! Check in was very smooth, which is great considering it was after midnight. We were offered refreshing towels, date and saffron juices, and then led to our room.
The corridors have a slight “maze” feel, probably due to the lack of elevators as there seem to be only a couple catering to the rooms. Still, we never had to wait to go down or up.

Room
The room was really nice- large, comfortable, elegant but still welcoming, a splash of turquoise added a nice touch, toilet was large with bath and shower, ample cupboard space, and wait for it… our own Lavazza coffee machine with all the amenities. You can order complimentary fresh milk from room service to make coffee. If it wasn’t so late, I might have made myself a delicious latte then and there :)
The bed is super comfy and quite large, the bedding is luxurious.

Breakfast
Breakfast the next day was, well.. interesting. It was partly our fault for arriving only 45 min. before BF time was over, but still- kids running around an overcrowded restaurant, long queues on all the stations, slow replenishing of food, and that screaming toddler right next to our table were a bit much. On the other hand, they did have an interesting selection of B items. I loved the healthy section which had fresh granola bars, sugar free treats, fruits, gluten free bread among other things.
The staff were trying, they really were, but they just seemed to lack the necessary training. Example, I ordered tea, and got a pot but by returned to the table to discover that they had poured me a now cold cup of tea. I called the waitress and explained my dilemma- tea pot was whisked away, arriving back only after 10 minutes piping hot. Great? Not so much, took a while to realize hot water had been poured over the old tea bag which is why my “English breakfast” tea was a pale yellow color. No comment.

Spa Booking
Moving on, I had booked a spa journey a couple of days before we arrived. I got to the spa and realized they had cancelled the treatment. Why? Because it began before check in, so they decided I wouldn’t be able to get to the Spa on time. Hmmm, but I checked in last night, plus got no phone call to tell me about this. No worries, treatments were rebooked for the afternoon.
Note: A drive into the city takes around 15 minutes, so not very central to those who are looking for a base to explore AD. Sheikh Zayed Mosque is pretty close though.

Spa
Back to the spa, which being Anantara I had high expectations for. Changing room (singular) was good, the robes were lovely, and the Hammam was beautiful! I had a Royal Sultan (Steam, Scrub, foam, mask) which was done wonderfully, with an experienced therapist who managed to smooth over a couple of knots in my back during the cleansing foam massage. Then it was time for Laban and nuts before my Arabian Massage which as per the brochure incorporates pressure point work throughout the body using palm and elbow pressure to release muscle tension. I was advised that it was a deep tissue massage which had me worried the pressure would be too intense. I shouldn’t have worried, as it was the exact opposite. After being escorted to the lovely massage room by my new therapist, a very soft massage began with long strokes. I asked for increased pressure, and was told that unfortunately this is the best she can do. I quieted down until she moved to my back, but then asked again. She said that is the strongest pressure available by a female therapist and she could get me a male one if I preferred (Which, please note is not legal in the UAE). I said no. Then as a last desperate attempt, I asked her to just concentrate on the knots in my shoulders. She ran her hands gently over them and insisted there were no knots, and that I was imagining the pain because I was tired of using a laptop at work. (How does anyone come to this conclusion?). I let her finish in peace, and was led to the relaxation room. I took the time to unwind, and when I left I was not asked how my treatment went. (I just realized this has turned into a rant- sorry!)

Room Service:
Anyways, we ordered room service that night and the food arrived fast, was piping hot, yummy and fresh. In the morning, we opted to skip BF, and the check out was quick (bags picked up within minutes of calling reception) and smooth with the helpful Room Manager overseeing everything. Our deposit was returned about a week later.

Lots of good, some bad…. But overall a wonderful experience. I would stay here again!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Gentle Traveler I
Beirut, Beyrouth, Lebanon
Reviewed September 2, 2012

Stayed there during last Ramadan with my mother. Though the hotel is still on soft opening mode, the staff showed exceptional professionalism especially the reception and the reception manager. The rooms are spacious and have an amazing mangroves view. We also had Iftar a couple of times at their restaurant. The buffet had a wide variety of international dishes and desserts. Their SPA was a true experience for us, they have one of the biggest Turkish baths in the Middle East and the treatments and services they offered were above our expectations. Looking forward for my next stay there during November.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Ramy M
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed September 1, 2012

The hotel is very nice. Once you enter the property, you will notice that all staff will make sure to welcome you, and make you feel home! I met a guy there, his name is Jawad, he was very kind, helpful and showed me the hotel facilities in a very good way.
It was a nice experience ... SPA, food, room were above expectations, and will surely reconsider the same hotel for another stay in the future.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank rgsemaan
Abu Dhabi
Reviewed August 29, 2012

This hotel didn't officially open yet, only a soft opening, but WOW. The location and view is amazing as you can see the breathtaking mangroves. It has that traditional touch in the reception area and lobby. You will be greeted with friendly and helpful staff, dates and Arabic coffee.

The room was amazing and so was the service. And the food is to die for.

Would recommend this for everyone.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends