“Excellent experience”

Ranked #24 of 129 Hotels in Abu Dhabi
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“Excellent experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2012

The hotel is very nice. Once you enter the property, you will notice that all staff will make sure to welcome you, and make you feel home! I met a guy there, his name is Jawad, he was very kind, helpful and showed me the hotel facilities in a very good way.
It was a nice experience ... SPA, food, room were above expectations, and will surely reconsider the same hotel for another stay in the future.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank rgsemaan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (357)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Abu Dhabi
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2012

This hotel didn't officially open yet, only a soft opening, but WOW. The location and view is amazing as you can see the breathtaking mangroves. It has that traditional touch in the reception area and lobby. You will be greeted with friendly and helpful staff, dates and Arabic coffee.

The room was amazing and so was the service. And the food is to die for.

Would recommend this for everyone.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
5 Thank Omar A
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2012

I stayed at the Anantara Eastern Mangroves Hotel & Spa one night during Eid Al Fitr in August 2012. At the time of writing this is Abu Dhabi’s newest hotel, having opened in June 2012.
First impressions are not good as the hotel is next to a main road (Salam Street) and there is construction work on the apartments that will also form part of the hotel complex once it is complete. You pass the apartments before you get to the hotel down a driveway. But the hotel itself is complete, with covered and outdoor car parking. Valet parking is available and efficient.
On arrival I was welcomed by several staff and to be honest I was a bit overwhelmed by them. Why do 5* hotels swarm over solo guests like that? Then I was offered a seat in the lobby area to do my check-in formalities. That was preferable to standing at reception. I was offered juices, Arabic coffee, dates, etc, none of which I wanted. In the end I did get a glass of water.
I was allocated room 461 on the 4th floor. It was quite a long walk to the room after going up what seemed to be the only pair of lifts (there is another single lift that goes to the spa and gym facilities). My room was not difficult to find but I was escorted there.
Despite being close to the city and main road there was no traffic noise. I loved the views of the sea and mangroves from my room.
I had a lovely large room with gigantic bed, sofa, desk, flat-screen television, tall but not big wardrobe with safe, plenty of room for luggage storage and a minibar/ There was a large balcony with table and two chairs. There was really nice Thai style décor in the room (collages and other art work and blue/beige furnishings) and a deep luxurious carpet. There were quality The bathroom was big with obscured glass screens separating the shower and toilet/bidet. The bath was huge and separate. There was a large mirror about the single large sink and there were Elemis products in the bathroom as well as various toiletry requisites if needed.
I booked a kayaking tour round the mangroves through the hotel at very short notice. It was the 4:30 pm tour which is the latest possible (cost 150 Dirhams paid direct to Noukhada). It is a very hot time to be outside and active in August, but it was a joy to paddle through the cool grey/green mangroves and to return to the hotel at sunset. Take plenty of water if you decide to do this!
There is a really nice spa (staff, treatment and décor). I had a treatment of foot reflexology which I really enjoyed and it seemed to be reasonable value for Abu Dhabi’s hotel spas.
There were lots of white fluffy towels in the bathroom. Also really good lighting, mirror and stool for using the hairdryer and doing make-up in the room (not in the bathroom).
I loved the Italian coffee maker in room. This was great as I hate instant coffee.
Now to a few negative things. I really don't like having to say "hello" to all the staff at a hotel. It feels like they are bored or trying to just follow hotel policy. One woman who stands near the door at this hotel says “hello” when you enter the hotel and again whenever you pass to go to a restaurant or go back to your room. For me one “hello” from the same person per day is more than enough in my book. I prefer hotel staff to be invisible unless I need them.
There is a small pool area for the size of hotel - it was busy and there were lots of families with children staying there. The changing facilities by the pool were very small and limited.
The bed and pillows were really comfortable and initially I slept really well but at 6:00 am the lighting in my bathroom flicked on and off and this continued intermittently for several hours. There was a glass panel between the bathroom and the bedroom, so this disturbed my sleep.
Although I was aware of this beforehand, I foudn it annoying that there is no free Wi-Fi in the room. The price paid should surely justify free Wi-Fi throughout the hotel. If not, they should charge a little more and stop being penny-pinching!
I think there is a problem with the plumbing not coping with the huge number of guests using the water at the same time. Water temperature was a minor issue I faced in the morning, but not at other times.
Breakfast was the biggest disappointment. What a bear garden (as I said the hotel was busy with families and it was Eid)! The buffet area was not big enough for all the guests. It was difficult to find a table and I had my table moved once. I had to ask for food that I could not find on the buffet as it was not set out logically. I ordered coffee which did not come promptly. There were limited bread options on the buffet and I had to order toast (bizarrely it has to be made by the chef!) and butter (why not put it out on the buffet or on each table?) All spread options were sugary with nothing healthy to put on the toast (no peanut butter or Marmite). By the time my toast arrived my coffee was cold. It took over an hour to finish a breakfast that should have taken 20 minutes at most. I didn't even order any eggs but I could see people were getting very upset at waiting and the queue was disorganized with guests not being served in turn. As I said as I left the restaurant and to staff at check-out I think they need to decide if they are serving a la carte breakfast or buffet as the current combination is really frustrating. If I had been on business it would have made me late for a business meeting, whereas as it was it took so long to have breakfast I missed going to the pool and it was soon time to check out. The chaotic atmosphere at breakfast significantly spoilt my overall impression of the hotel.
Check-out took a long time as due to the issues I reported and I was asked to wait. By way of apology for the issues, at check-out my spa treatment was refunded. Nice touch, Denis Krupp (Assistant Front Office Manager). This was only a small gesture but it made me feel more positive about the hotel that they listened and I believe the situation will be improved. It is because of the recompense I have rated this as "excellent" otherwise it would be "very good".
My bill was 880 Dirhams for the room (bed and breakfast in a deluxe mangroves view balcony room) booked through booking.com. I think this compares very well with other similar quality hotels in Abu Dhabi (far nicer experience than Jumeirah At Etihad Towers where I stayed a few days earlier). Dinner for two people at the Thai restaurant Pachaylen cost 700 Dirhams including taxes, drinks and tip, which is about average for the city (see separate review).
I loved the overall feeling of luxury at the hotel and I would definitely stay there again. But I would order breakfast in the room instead of going to the buffet if it’s the weekend or a public holiday.

Room Tip: Rooms with mangroves views are best; choose a room with a balcony if staying here from autumn to spr...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
4 Thank ilovemiddleeast
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2012

Im in love with new hotels , and once i heard that one of Anantara gems has opened inside the city, i booked for a weekend stay, once you stop ur car near the entrance you will know what five stars service means, they serve you here like a king , and everyone makes sure that your happy and comfy with ur stay , the room is spacious , my wife loved the spa , food here was nice , we tried the thai restaurant Pachaylen it was really great but expensive .

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank AuH_Traveler
Paris, France
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2012

We were staying in Abu Dhabi for 10 days and we absolutely wanted to visit the new hotel Eastern Mangroves by Anantara as we were reading a lot about this hotel in the Internet. So we decided to visit that beautiful property. Once we arrived there, we were welcomed by Mr Karim from Concierge Department. He directly approached us and proposed to give us a show around of the new property so that we could get the chance to see the facilities of the hotel. He took us to the restaurants, spa, bar and showed us the amazing view you can have at this hotel on the Mangroves. He kindly explained everything about the hotel and all the facilities they offer to their guests. We even got a welcome juice and his appearance and the way of treating us was outstanding. Mr Karim convinced us to have Iftar there, which was one of the best buffets we have ever seen and we really enjoyed much. During all this visit Mr Karim was always looking after us if everything is up to our satisfaction. After the dinner he even took us to their Ramadan tent where we got shisha and drinks in a nice arabic atmosphere. All in all the we can just recommend this hotel and if you have the chance to meet Mr Karim and get the same experience like we had, you should definetly go for it. Mr Karim is a great person and he knows how to take care of his guests.

Chantal

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Chantal W
Manchester
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2012

I checked in at the hotel on Friday, about the first day of Eid. I expect to have a relaxed weekend away from a very busy work week. I though of staying in a new hotel that is quiet and of course well known. The result then was really great! I was amazed the moment I enter the hotel, the lobby is so cosy and in the first few minutes I already feel the serenity of my entire stay. The staff are so friendly and helpful and responding properly to all my inquiries. Check in was quick so I was able to reach my room fast. The room was fantastic and really gave me a touch of arabic culture. It was huge and really so nice to stay.
I am not fasting but I do enjoy the food served in the Ramadan Tent. They have a wide variety of choices, all arabic inspired dishes that really makes my stomach full. Thanks to the helpful staff at the restaurant for being so accomodating.
I would surely recommend this hotel to friends and promise to come back and stay here again on my next visit to Abu Dhabi.

Room Tip: A room with a nice view of the mangoves.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank Liza G
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2012

As a frequent traveller to Abu Dhabi, I have had the pleasure of staying at several of the emirates premiere properties...and Eastern Mangroves Hotel is definitely a new gem. With wonderful views that paint a picture of a desert oasis to the charming and friendly staff, this property is wonderful for the business or leisure traveller. Location provides easy access to Abu Dhabi attractions and business/convention venues. Rooms were oversized and spacious with amenities usually reserved for hotels 2-3x higher priced. In the end, it's the staff that makes the stay and here the management has done well in selecting and training their team to be accommodating and extremely friendly. A great place to get away, or just to refresh between meetings. This hotel transports you away from the world around you and leaves you pampered and wanting to return...soon!

Room Tip: Get a balcony room with a view of the mangroves - fantastic views day and night.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business