“liked it - food, wine, service”
Review of Porto Bello

Porto Bello
Ranked #281 of 2,054 Restaurants in Abu Dhabi
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Brunch, Lunch, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Validated Parking, Waitstaff
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
“liked it - food, wine, service”
Reviewed February 18, 2012

We visited at 6 pm before most restaurants open, and found a nice atmosphere. Service was very prompt, polite and helpful throughout, and included italian staff to help the experience. We didn't order starter thankfully, as the hot rustic bread and brad sticks were delicious with the olive oil & balsamic from italy. The mid ranged wine was great.
For mains we had the angel-hair pasta with eel, and the penne pasta with wagyu meatballs. Both were delicious, although the spice may not be to everyone's liking - but we loved it. Dessert selection was great, although we shared one due to availability of tummy space! Very nice end to the meal.
The total cost was less than 200 AED incl wine when using the entertainer voucher. Great value. Will come back for sure, especially whenever in the neighbouring mall - it sure beats the food court options!

Kirton in Lindsey, United Kingdom
“Tasty food, ok service but downside with choices not available”
Reviewed February 18, 2012

Minuses - One of the main courses wasn't available. They had also had a problem with wine deliveries so the wine we requested also wasn't available. I had ordered a scallop dish but part way through starter were told this also wasn't available.

We had to wait a while for the wine.

We also missed out on the amuse bouche which all the tables around us got - but we didn't spot this until too late.

Pluses - Complimentary bread, dip, good quality olive oil and balsamic.
Starters were good - one soup and one calamari - obviously freshly prepared. The pizza was reasonable and the risotto I had was excellent - well flavoured and cooked just right.

For Abu Dhabi I also thought it was good value for money.

Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
“Large portions and leisurely pace”
Reviewed February 3, 2012

I have eaten here a few times but this is the first time since the hotel got its licence to serve alcohol, although just my luck they were not serving alcohol due to the religious holiday (normal for Abu Dhabi hotels). It was certainly busier than when I have been here before.
The first thing you notice when you walk in is the high ceiling and the comfortable red and brown seating.The kitchen is open style but not many tables are near the kitchen. There is an outdoor area for eating as well although it was too cold on the evening I was there.
I chose minestrone soup and my friend had calamari. We had already been given ciabatta, bread sticks and olives before the starters came. I really enjoyed my souo but my friend was not sure about her calamari. It was breaded but not crisp, but looked liike it should have been crispy. It was definitely fresh and in a large portion. My friend dare not finish hers as we had yet to have the main coursre.
For the main course my friend had (oops sorry I forgot) with a spinach side dish. It was a very large portfolio. I had eggplant parmesan which was extremely hot when it arrived and for at least 10 minutes as I waited for it too cool down. The portion was huge but I managed to finish it. We had good service up to this point but then were left alone for a considerable time. I asked to see the dessert menu (some interesting options including a 65 Diirham cheese plate of 5 Italian cheeses). I also checked out the olive oil menu - there is a tasting menu (from 20 Dirhams) and gourmet olive oils sold there (from 90 Dirhams). I just had a coffee and my friend had a green tea. We used an Entertainer voucher and our meal came to less than 300 Dhs for two (including soft drinks). It was a reasonable price considering the large portions. The whole meall was unhurried and took about 2.5 hours. It's not the sort of place to come if you are in a hurrry.
Would I return? Yes. The atmosphere is nice, despite being a little quiet, and this is probably the closest hotel to where I live. Good for lunch as well as an evening meal.