“Great property with great staff”

The Westin Abu Dhabi Golf Resort & Spa
Ranked #18 of 127 Hotels in Abu Dhabi
Shanghai, China
“Great property with great staff”
Reviewed April 22, 2013

I am continually impressed with the staff at the Westin, from reservations to wait staff everyone is professional and efficient. The reservations staff went above and beyond on two separate occasions for the Vine Mixer with last minute modifications to my booking. The "Bubbalicious" brunch is equally impressive with the variety and quality of food.

One complaint, however, is none of the handicap accessible restrooms in the public areas of the hotels have mirrors. This is very inconvenient as I am currently mobility impaired and navigating into the regular restrooms is difficult just to freshen up.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank TamiNicole
WestinAbuDhabi, Manager at The Westin Abu Dhabi Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this review, April 27, 2013
Dear TamiNicole,

The team of The Westin Abu Dhabi Golf Resort & Spa says thank you for your review and your loyalty. Especially your appreciation towards the associates honors us a lot.
Thank you for your comment regarding the accessible restrooms, we do appreciate your suggestions and hope you will recover soon!

We are looking forward to make another stay, Brunch or Vine Mixer at The Westin just as pleasant as you expect it!

The Management

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (203)
  • Arabic first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Abu Dhabi
Reviewed April 19, 2013

The Lemon and Lime Lounge hosts a "Vine Mixer" evening once a month on a Thursday from 8pm onwards. The cost is Dhs 120 per person. The evening begins with a welcome drink Kir Royale, then throughout the evening you are served four glasses of wine paired with a small plate of food. The wine selection was very good; all French wines, and every month the theme changes, next month in May is Australian wines. The food accompanied the wine well and the portion was large enough for a tasting. The entire evening a musician plays on the piano and sings making a lively atmosphere. There is also a host for the evening that talks about where the different wines come from and the decision to pair it with the food. Don't forget to enter the raffle when you arrive. Names are drawn at the end of the evening and four bottles of wine are given out as prizes, as well as dinner for two at one of the restaurants. I had such a great night out with my friends and I can't wait to go back next month!

Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank JessicaAbuDhabi
WestinAbuDhabi, Manager at The Westin Abu Dhabi Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this review, April 21, 2013
Dear JessicaAbuDhabi,

Thank you for sharing your great review about the recent event at Lemon & Lime! From your description, it is evident that you had a very enjoyable time, sampling excellent wines and delicious snacks.
Good luck for the raffle draw and see you next month!

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed April 17, 2013

I stayed here for two nights as a stopover on my trip MUC-DXB-SYD as I wanted to visit the new waterpark in Abu Dhabi, Yas Waterworld. The hotel is about 1 hour and 20 mins drive from Dubai airport which was not an issue as Emirates offers complimentary chauffeur service to anywhere in the UAE for their premium class passengers. Abu Dhabi airport itself is just around the corner so even better if you're transiting through there. The location in itself is not perfect though, I'm not a golf player so the view of an ugly artificial golf course does nothing to me and there is nothing at all within walking distance to the hotel- you will have to take taxi to get anywhere but luckily taxis were cheap and readily available in the UAE so I did not find this a major problem.

The hotel itself is fairly new and it shows- very modern design in the wonderful lobby as well as in the room design. As a Gold member, I got a room on the dedicated SPG floor which was very spacious (actually, one of the most spacious 'standard' hotel rooms I've stayed in for a long time), had a lovely balcony and a very nice, big and clean bathroom. As with all Westin properties, the 'heavenly bed' was, indeed, heavenly with a very firm mattress and endless of fluffy pillows- if you don't sleep here, then you probably will never sleep in any hotel bed!

I can't comment on service too much as I arrived at 1am in the night, had basically only one day which I used to go to Yas Waterworld and then left early the next morning. The interactions I did have though were all pleasant, both check in and checkout as well as asking for directions to the park. Upon arrival, there was a luggage clerk ready and took care of my two heavy bags straight away and personally took me to my room after check in. In the afternoon after coming back to the hotel, I spent two hours at the pool- they luckily have two, one family pool for all the screaming children and screeching infants and thankfully one adult-only lap pool which was very tranquil and clean. I got myself a beer from the pool bar and after a few sips, went into the water for a quick swim. Noticing this from afar, the barman came to my seat with an ice bucket to put my beer in so that it stays cold in the meantime- this is what I call excellent customer service!

Room Tip: Was quite happy with my room on the dedicated SPG floor.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank sydneyberlin
Dear sydneyberlin,

Greetings from The Westin Abu Dhabi! How good that you – as a loyal Starwood guest – have chosen The Westin Abu Dhabi for your stopover in the city. The location is really convenient, just right in the middle between Abu Dhabi International Airport and Yas Island.
We hope you will return soon, whenever you are having some time in Abu Dhabi, for sure you will rest well in your favourite bed!
Thank you for commenting on the observations on the service: these little details are crucial to create a relaxing atmosphere as you deserve it!
Once more: Thank you for your review, and come back soon!

Reviewed April 16, 2013

Booked in for the night as we had a game of golf at the National course. Was expecting a standard type of hotel for this level but...The welcome was great, it was like every staff member wanted us to genuinley enjoy our stay. The decor of the hotel made it feel like home and the room was tremendous overlooking the golf course. The beds are stunning and the breakfast had a wide range of goodies. Will definatley go back!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Graham W
Dear Graham W,

The entire team of The Westin Abu Dhabi says Thank You for sharing your uplifting experience with us! This is how it should feel if you treat yourself with an overnight golf break and we are happy that your expectations were exceeded!
We are looking forward to welcoming you again soon!

Reviewed April 16, 2013

We stayed in a junior suite for a few nights. The room was clean, comfortable (especially the bed) and very spacious with a nice view of the golf course - great to have a lush green outlook in Abu Dhabi! Overall the hotel seems very well maintained and nicely decorated. We tried the Morrocan restaurant (very tasty), buffet, valet & room service and the service was generally very good. The hotel is a golf resort so is a little out of the way.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Banana_abroad
Dear Banana_abroad,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts about your recent getaway at The Westin Abu Dhabi!
We are delighted that the suite, the surroundings and the dinner meet your expectations.
The location, right at Abu Dhabi Golf Club, is both: an advantage for those who seek a quiet getaway and a disadvantage for those who prefer the busy city life. But as you say: the center of Abu Dhabi is just an easy 20 minutes taxi ride away.

We hope you will find time again soon to visit The Westin Abu Dhabi to recharge and relax!
Reviewed April 12, 2013 via mobile

Living in Dubai my wife and I wanted an escape and change of scenary so we headed for the Westin Hotel in Abu Dhabi.
We were impressed with the nice decor and standard of the hotel and facilities as we entered.

I was somewhat dissatisfied with our initial greeting. I am very independent and self sufficient but you do notice the lack of customer services staying in other hotels, compared to that in Dubai, RAK, fujeirah.

We had to get our luggage out of the car ourselves and as much as I'm happy to do so myself I'd have appreciated someone offering, especially when the hotel was quiet at 9pm when we arrived.

As we checked in no one offered to show us to our room or carry our luggage.

We entered a lovely room but the TV was not working with cables hanging out.
An engineer soon came and set it up but it was clearly not inspected before allocating the room to us.

In the morning we checked in for breakfast at the Fairways restaurant.
A decent selection of food but ALL of the cooked food was cold!
The omelettes were freshly prepared and lovely but all the hash browns, baked beans, sausages were almost freezing!
While eating our breakfast our plates/bowls were cleared without any questions as to whether we had finished or not.

I was impressed with a front of house manager from Chile who led by example.
When I asked reception for directions for the gym, he overheard and volunteered to take me himself.
He did not delegate but instead led by example and made the service more personal.

The gym was quite good and clean and shared with the Golf club.

The pool area was nice but at times was noisy with outside noise from near by roads and a bad smell which I suspect to be sewage work.

Dinner and service in the Morrocan restaurant was lovely.
Very good service, always on hand to deal with any requests.

On the whole, a nice looking hotel but service was not 5 star

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
WestinAbuDhabi, Manager at The Westin Abu Dhabi Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
Dear Nads1982,
Thank you for sharing your experience about your recent stay at The Westin Abu Dhabi. We do regret that we were not able to meet your expectations, especially when it comes to our associates and the service provided.
Your compliments to Jose have been forwarded and we are sure that his example will show the entire team the right direction to be heading!
It would be a pleasure to welcome you again soon!

Reviewed April 12, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I were looking for a relaxing break away from Dubai in early April after recent job and health stresses. We typically go to the Fairmont Abu Dhabi (highly recommended) however after having brunch at the Westin last year we booked three nights here. Check in was fine and the room was large and had nice views. Unfortunately there was a sand storm while we were visiting but we took full advantage of the covered balcony for some reading and relaxation.
Unfortunately the trip turned negative from there. I booked two treatments in the spa which were fine however while in the relaxation room following the treatments, the staff proceeded to try to push hundreds of dirhams worth of products at me. Not enjoyable or relaxing after politely declining several times while they insisted I needed these products!
We also visited most of the restaurants on our visit. The food at the Retreat was lovely however we had a problem with our table. We were told a section of the restaurant was closed due to a dinner party so we were lumped next to five other groups for the evening (though we told the staff we wanted a quiet seat.) By the time we left at 10pm, the reserved section still had no one in it. We got the feeling the staff were told to do this so they didn't have guests scattered about. Also, we informed them we would like to have a quick look outside but would be back to our table shortly (outside was not being served due to rain.) Upon returning to our table 10 minutes later, we found it cleared with new guests at it! The staff didn't know what to do and gave us a new table (but removed the cutlery and plates?) after a bit of fussing so in the end we just left.
We also had an issue with a few drunk locals at the lobby bar. The staff quickly tried to remove them from our table as they were getting noisy and trying to push shots on us. Unfortunately they didn't take kindly to security being called so a bit of a scene unfolded. They kept returning to our table so again, we decided just to go back to our room.
We visited the pool on our final day however the water temperature was extremely cold and the towels were worn. After visiting the Westin Dubai pool, there was a significant difference in quality in the pool area.
The check out, however, was what surprised us the most. When we checked in we were asked to provide a card for incidentals. At no time was an amount confirmed to come out of our account and it was confirmed bills would be settled upon departure. To our surprise the hotel took 1000 aed out of the account one day and 1,700 aed prior to checkout. We questioned this straight away and they said we had "went over our limit on room charges." We were very surprised as we always charge meals to any room we stay in across the globe and pay upon check out with our card of choice. We were also surprised to hear there was a limit (a bit odd for grown adults to be limited? Trust issue?) We obviously disputed this money and requested an immediate refund so we could put the stay on a different card. After a few minutes the guy at the front desk said he would reverse the charges and we would get the money back in one day. Five days later we found out the money is still blocked for our account, in addition to payment already having gone out of the account we had actually intended to use. We have been told they "are on the case" but still have not received the money.
Due to all of the above, I wouldn't bother with a stay here. Visit the Friday brunch but stick to some of the other hotels on the outskirts of Abu Dhabi if you want a relaxing break from the city.

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
WestinAbuDhabi, Manager at The Westin Abu Dhabi Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Dear UAE55,

Greetings from The Westin Abu Dhabi and thank you for sharing your review about your recent stay. It is good to hear that the resort’s style has matched your tasted and expectations.
I was sorry to learn of your concerns about the credit card pre-authorization and at the outset would like to offer my sincere apologies for the inconvenience experienced.
It is a common practice for hotels to request for credit cards pre-authorized as a guarantee. It was never our intention to cause you further distress and to this effect.
We accommodate a number of guests in our hotels and resorts worldwide and are proud to have the flexibility to meet the requirements of all our guests. It is therefore extremely disappointing to have let you down on this occasion.

It would still be a pleasure to see you again, may it be for Brunch or a weekend break!